SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

The new wrestling affiliates of the B12 conference won't even have guaranteed duals against the Big12 teams. Their only needed so the B12 wrestling champions automatically qualify for nationals.

http://www.widerightnattylite.com/2015/7/29/8970377/big-xii-adds-six-affiliate-schools-for-wrestling

The new wrestling affiliates of the B12 conference won't even have guaranteed duals against the Big12 teams. Their only needed so the B12 wrestling champions automatically qualify for nationals.

http://www.widerightnattylite.com/2015/7/29/8970377/big-xii-adds-six-affiliate-schools-for-wrestling

NDSU will have top notch facilities and will wear the Big XII patch.   Regular home duels with Iowa State, OU and Okie State will be awesome for the fans.  Another step forward for NDSU's athletic profile which is steadily growing year by year.   

NDSU will have top notch facilities and will wear the Big XII patch.   Regular home duels with Iowa State, OU and Okie State will be awesome for the fans.  Another step forward for NDSU's athletic profile which is steadily growing year by year.   

You maybe missed this part. 

These six additions were made to give the Big XII tournament more legitimacy and regain recognition as an NCAA qualifying event.

For the time being, these additions are for the Big XII tournament only.

Iowa State will not be required to add these affiliate schools to their dual meet schedule.

Don't get me wrong, still a big deal and nice to be affiliated with those schools. 

These six additions were made to give the Big XII tournament more legitimacy and regain recognition as an NCAA qualifying event.

Iowa State will not be required to add these affiliate schools to their dual meet schedule.

Don't get me wrong, still a big deal and nice to be affiliated with those schools. 

I don't think that Wyo, Air Force, NDSU, SDSU will have problems getting regular duels with the Big XII Wresting programs, especially if you are top 25.   It might be harder for UVU than the others.

:huh:

You're in, but wrestle amongst yourselves? 

Certainly better than, were heading to the Big X, go find your own conference.   Having a major conference affiliation is certainly better than losing one.

I'm pretty confused the wording in the release. 

Are these schools actually mpw part of the Big XII for wrestling or are they only invited to participate in the Big XII tournament so that it regains its status as a qualifying event?

Are you really an affiliate member if schools aren't required to schedule you?

UVU?  LOL

Certainly better than, were heading to the Big X, go find your own conference.   Having a major conference affiliation is certainly better than losing one.

I don't disagree.  It is not a bad set up and I don't think NDSU will have a problem getting some of the schools on the schedule for duals.  So does this get the full cost of attendance going for NDSU in wrestling?  You are in the conference with schools that will offer it now. 

NDSU will have top notch facilities and will wear the Big XII patch. Regular home duels with Iowa State, OU and Okie State will be awesome for the fans. Another step forward for NDSU's athletic profile which is steadily growing year by year.

NDSU didn't take long before they posted the Big12 patch on their site.

Also learned from B-vile that wrassling and hockey are equivalent as far as fan base, attendance, and tv audience. So when does the FargoDome become the home base of the mighty bison wrestling team that attracts overflow crowds and televises it's matches to eager statewide audiences?

NDSU didn't take long before they posted the Big12 patch on their site.

Also learned from B-vile that wrassling and hockey are equivalent as far as fan base, attendance, and tv audience. So when does the FargoDome become the home base of the mighty bison wrestling team that attracts overflow crowds and televises it's matches to eager statewide audiences?

Duals between the big teams get a lot of people by the looks of it. Iowa would be third in average attendance compared to hockey if I'm looking at accurate charts.. And Minnesota would be fourth.

Penn St vs Iowa had 16Kish.

I doubt NDSU could ever pull that but if it gets more people going to the duals that's great. Wrestling is honestly one sport the state could be very very good at if we ever can get the best kids to stay in state.

Duals between the big teams get a lot of people by the looks of it. Iowa would be third in average attendance compared to hockey if I'm looking at accurate charts.. And Minnesota would be fourth.

Penn St vs Iowa had 16Kish.

I doubt NDSU could ever pull that but if it gets more people going to the duals that's great. Wrestling is honestly one sport the state could be very very good at if we ever can get the best kids to stay in state.

The TV viewing numbers for college wrestling could be EPIC, ... said no one ever.

Can you provide us with the attendance numbers for NDSU wrestiling compared to UND hockey from last year?

Thanks!

Wrestling is not a draw at NDSU. I also didn't say it was. The Big XII label though certainly can't hurt in maybe getting a few more people there.

I simply provided numbers that indicate it's pretty similar to hockey on a national level.

• 3 weeks later...

Idaho AD Rob Spear says FBS is what's best for Vandals right now

“Given what we’ve experienced in the last four, five or six years, you never say never to anything,” Spear said. “... Realistically we hope the long-term future of the University of Idaho is to be in a tier, not the top tier of the Power 5, but certainly in a second tier with like-institutions that have the geographic integrity.

“That’s the right fit for the University of Idaho. Eventually we’ll get there".

As far as revenue is concerned, the Sun Belt receives $10 million via the College Football Playoff. The Vandals also play one or two “money games” each season, and this year’s schedule has two of those — at USC, for which the payout will be $1.1 million and at Auburn, which will pay Idaho $1 million.

Florida was expected to pay Idaho $975,00 last season before the game’s lightning-caused cancellation. A rematch has been scheduled for 2018 though now the Vandals will receive $1.2 million.

In 2016, Idaho will receive $600,000 and $825,000 for games at Washington State and Washington, respectively. Spear said the Vandals have also agreed to play Missouri in 2017 for a $1.3 million payday.

Spear expects those amounts to only increase in the years to come — and for them to be cut in half if Idaho was to move to the FCS level.

[Spear used the example of “a Big Sky school” receiving just $450,000 for playing at Oregon this season. Eastern Washington is the only Big Sky team on the Ducks’ schedule, for what that’s worth.]

So Spear wants to be in a conference with geographic integrity and not lose out on the big payouts that come with playing the FBS schools. 

At the end of the day, Spear ultimately likes the ability to control Idaho’s next move, which he can do with Idaho as a university currently competing in both the Sun Belt and Big Sky.

“At this time, being in the Sun Belt and having all of our other sports — besides swimming and diving — in the Big Sky is the right decision while all this stuff works its way through the system,” Spear said. “Then we’ll be able to select what direction we need to go in.

Sounds a lot like what SiouxVolley has been talking about.

• Upvote 1

Idaho AD Rob Spear says FBS is what's best for Vandals right now

So Spear wants to be in a conference with geographic integrity and not lose out on the big payouts that come with playing the FBS schools. 

Sounds a lot like what SiouxVolley has been talking about.

Where does he say Idaho's future is in an FBS Big Sky?

Try a little critical thinking. How many Division I football conferences cover territory anywhere near Idaho? The answer would seem to be the Pac 12, Mountain West, and Big Sky. What are the chances of Idaho getting into the Pac 12? None. What are the chances of Idaho getting into the Mountain West? Probably pretty slim. What other current FBS conference is any where near Idaho? None. Therefore, for Idaho to be in a conference with geographic integrity and also get the big payouts of being FBS, the most likely scenario would be to have at least a part of the Big Sky move to FBS. That's why GeauxSioux suggested that it sounds a lot like what SiouxVolley has been talking about.

• Upvote 3

Try a little critical thinking. How many Division I football conferences cover territory anywhere near Idaho? The answer would seem to be the Pac 12, Mountain West, and Big Sky. What are the chances of Idaho getting into the Pac 12? None. What are the chances of Idaho getting into the Mountain West? Probably pretty slim. What other current FBS conference is any where near Idaho? None. Therefore, for Idaho to be in a conference with geographic integrity and also get the big payouts of being FBS, the most likely scenario would be to have at least a part of the Big Sky move to FBS. That's why GeauxSioux suggested that it sounds a lot like what SiouxVolley has been talking about.

It seemed a logical conclusion. 

A little critical thinking tells me perhaps he is thinking maybe Boise State and Colorado State move to a P5 conference and Idaho gets a MWC invite. I know that is not in SiouxVolley's plan and it is extremely far fetched compared to conference with 2 or 3 schools that  could possibly qualify or have a chance to be successful at the FBS level moving up at once, but I will go with that theory.

I agree with ND1 - if you look at it - the Sun Belt is looking at three schools right now on the eastern part of the US.  They need one for sure to be a travel partner with App St.  IMO the other two are back fill for NMSU and IU.  Because those two schools come into play in the next round when the Big XII more the likely takes a hit or if the Pac 12 decides to expand.  I think the Big XII is in trouble... they survived the lost of Missouri, AM, Nebraska and Colorado in the last round  But, Kanas/Oklahoma and Texas are looking around and are prepared for the next round.  I think the Big XII ends up inviting a group of schools from MWC and/or USA.  I would think UNLV, SDSU, Boise St, Air Force and Colorado St. are all in play.  MWC could looking for schools in the next round - UI and NMSU are first in line.

I agree with ND1 - if you look at it - the Sun Belt is looking at three schools right now on the eastern part of the US.  They need one for sure to be a travel partner with App St.  IMO the other two are back fill for NMSU and IU.  Because those two schools come into play in the next round when the Big XII more the likely takes a hit or if the Pac 12 decides to expand.  I think the Big XII is in trouble... they survived the lost of Missouri, AM, Nebraska and Colorado in the last round  But, Kanas/Oklahoma and Texas are looking around and are prepared for the next round.  I think the Big XII ends up inviting a group of schools from MWC and/or USA.  I would think UNLV, SDSU, Boise St, Air Force and Colorado St. are all in play.  MWC could looking for schools in the next round - UI and NMSU are first in line.

I think they are both plausable scenarios, among half a dozen others that haven't been discussed yet. One thing I believe is certain: change of some sort is coming. Seems like an obvious statement but nobody knows exact details other than the P5 has clearly been separating themselves from the rest.

A little critical thinking tells me perhaps he is thinking maybe Boise State and Colorado State move to a P5 conference and Idaho gets a MWC invite. I know that is not in SiouxVolley's plan and it is extremely far fetched compared to conference with 2 or 3 schools that  could possibly qualify or have a chance to be successful at the FBS level moving up at once, but I will go with that theory.

If the Big 12 loses Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas, it's in the best interest of the other P4 conferences to decimate the B12, so there is can be no other P4 conference forming out of its ashes.   The PAC12 could take ISU, KSU, OKLA St, and Texas Tech.  The SEC takes WVU and TCU for their tv sets (Washington DC is a WVU market.)  Baylor would get in the ACC as a travel partner with the Longhorns.  The Big 12 would be no more, as there would be even more money for the surviving P4, and UT, OU, and KU would have it arranged that everybody gets a home.

Also sounds plausible, but I think Idaho's facilities are a hindrance to be in the MW. The Kibbie Dome would be by far the smallest stadium in the MW and they play basketball in there to boot.

If the Big 12 loses Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas, it's in the best interest of the other P4 conferences to decimate the B12, so there is can be no other P4 conference forming out of its ashes.   The PAC12 could take ISU, KSU, OKLA St, and Texas Tech.  The SEC takes WVU and TCU for their tv sets (Washington DC is a WVU market.)  Baylor would get in the ACC as a travel partner with the Longhorns.  The Big 12 would be no more, as there would be even more money for the surviving P4, and UT, OU, and KU would have it arranged that everybody gets a home.

What about the Big 12 instead of being decimated, but downgrade to a G5 conference and start a upper BSC/upper MVFC type conference? Would that work?