SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

At this level, I don't think it's unusual for a new head coach to retain one or two assistants from the previous regime. Joe Glenn kept at least two of Meierkort's assistants. Bohl retained Vigen (and maybe more, I don't recall).

And Bradley

I don't like comparing the D1-AA transition between UND & NDSU but it must be said that Mussman inherited a very successful D2 team that had been to the playoffs 5 straight years. Coach Bohl inherited a very below average team that finished with two wins or something like that the year before. Mussman had every advantage and done absolutely nothing. The atmophere used to be electric at football games. See the link below, I have posted it before, some of you may remember. It was Mussman's first game as head coach. That is what he inherited. That atmosphere. Look where that atmosphere is five years later. Just disgraceful.

http://www.caller.com/news/2008/sep/04/a-sound-beating-for-javs/?commentprinter=1/

• Upvote 4

I don't like comparing the D1-AA transition between UND & NDSU but it must be said that Mussman inherited a very successful D2 team that had been to the playoffs 5 straight years. Coach Bohl inherited a very below average team that finished with two wins or something like that the year before. Mussman had every advantage and done absolutely nothing. The atmophere used to be electric at football games. See the link below, I have posted it before, some of you may remember. It was Mussman's first game as head coach. That is what he inherited. That atmosphere. Look were that atmosphere is five years later. Just disgraceful.

http://www.caller.com/news/2008/sep/04/a-sound-beating-for-javs/?commentprinter=1/

Unbelievable. Open against Texas A&M Kingsville with 11,000 but this play-off eligible hyped-up Big Sky season we open with 9,000. I think this indicates how important consistent winning is to attendance. And also how much this program has descended over the past 5 years. When the season's over, I know what I want for Christmas...

Yes, Bob Babich was awful for the NDSU program. Bohl really had to start from the beginning.

Bohl's 06 team went 10-1. On that team 12 starters were Babich recruit's including three future NFL players (Frick, Mays, Dahl) and Walker at QB. Lennon didn't leave the cupboard as full for Muss - best players in the last two classes for Lennon (Bellmore, Hawkins, Hendrickson, Landry and Schwenzfeier).

Bohl's 06 team went 10-1. On that team 12 starters were Babich recruit's including three future NFL players (Frick, Mays, Dahl) and Walker at QB. Lennon didn't leave the cupboard as full for Muss - best players in the last two classes for Lennon (Bellmore, Hawkins, Hendrickson, Landry and Schwenzfeier).

If Babich can get studs in after his record, why is it so hard for us to get a line? Looking at Uncle Rico's post made me sad. Every week I hope we can put it together - come on Muss - show us something.

If Babich can get studs in after his record, why is it so hard for us to get a line? Looking at Uncle Rico's post made me sad. Every week I hope we can put it together - come on Muss - show us something.

Some coaches understand how to recruit and others don't.It is fairly obvious what Muss has been doing and how poorly he and his staff have gone about it. If we want to be in the top 10 D-1AA teams, we need to find a coach that knows how to get players to fit our scheme, not scheme with the players we have. My biggest disappointment is that our AD hasn't figured out our staff is lost in the recruiting process.

Didn't Babich take NDSU to the National Semis once or twice? I always thought he got a bad wrap.

Once I think.. 2000. Probably coulda/shoulda/woulda won the title even with two qb's tearing ACL's in the quarterfinals. Failure by NDSU's lofty standards.

Once I think.. 2000. Probably coulda/shoulda/woulda won the title even with two qb's tearing ACL's in the quarterfinals. Failure by NDSU's lofty standards.

In 2000 that was far from failure and your 'lofty" standards were about the height of Gary Coleman back then.

In 2000 that was far from failure and your 'lofty" standards were about the height of Gary Coleman back then.

That just happened!

Some coaches understand how to recruit and others don't.It is fairly obvious what Muss has been doing and how poorly he and his staff have gone about it. If we want to be in the top 10 D-1AA teams, we need to find a coach that knows how to get players to fit our scheme, not scheme with the players we have. My biggest disappointment is that our AD hasn't figured out our staff is lost in the recruiting process.

That is a pretty broad statement and not sure I agree with it. UND has won quite a few recruiting battles against MVFC and Big Sky teams, including some against NDSU. I am not sold it is the recruiting end of things that is the problem right now.

You forget NDSU fans have selective memory. FU football didn't start until the 1960's, the late 90's-early 00's never really happened, the Fargodome has always been sold out and national championships can only be won in the playoffs (even if 3 of theirs were won in the polls).

• Upvote 2

I'm referring to the Babich Era in general. 2000 was a good year. Not sure I was even as tall as Gary Coleman back then...

Which of these things is not like the other?

A.) Morton

B.) Solomonson

C.)Hager

D.) Babich

I'm referring to the Babich Era in general. 2000 was a good year. Not sure I was even as tall as Gary Coleman back then...

A.) Morton

B.) Solomonson

C.)Hager

D.) Babich

That tells me you didn't know how about the programs abilities back then.

To answer your trivia question, the answer is C. That knucklehead is unlike anyone else who has coached before, ever.

The transition made recruiting more difficult, there’s no question about that, but if you have a good recruiting staff, you can still bring in good players. During NDSU’s transition, they collected several very good players, even a few which went on to play at the next level. UND and Mussman’s staff have performed horribly in the recruiting department and I don’t think there’s really much debate to that.

Just look at our team’s make-up and you can see where the recruiting flaws are.

QB: Two great freshman players with loads of potential, but where are the upperclassmen? Having a junior or senior who wouldn’t make a ton of mistakes is always a great asset!

HB: Our starting RB is 160 lbs…enough said. Solution: A couple guys actually over 200 lbs!

FB: Had to convert a linemen to FB because our projected starter quit the program. And we can’t seem to run the ball… probably more on the OL though.

OL: Can’t run the ball. Several procedural penalties. Produce no push! Need some NDSU/SDSU type guys who can push the pile.

WR: A+

DL: Other teams run the ball at ease. No penetration!

LB: Defenses run the ball, can’t cover anyone, can’t produce turnovers, limited emotion, the list goes on…Need some “Football Players” that love contact and just make plays by always being around the football. Digger Anderson-types please...

DBS: Can’t cover anyone, no interceptions, etc. 160 and 170 lbs CBs won’t get the job done. Need both more physical and more athletic guys back there.

K: A

P: Great young talent

I know this is very generalized, but several recruiting hole are quite evident, particularly with the offensive and defensive linemen. Some of our starters belong in DII football, not the Big Sky Conference!

• Upvote 1

The transition made recruiting more difficult, there’s no question about that, but if you have a good recruiting staff, you can still bring in good players. During NDSU’s transition, they collected several very good players, even a few which went on to play at the next level. UND and Mussman’s staff have performed horribly in the recruiting department and I don’t think there’s really much debate to that.

Just look at our team’s make-up and you can see where the recruiting flaws are.

QB: Two great freshman players with loads of potential, but where are the upperclassmen? Having a junior or senior who wouldn’t make a ton of mistakes is always a great asset!

HB: Our starting RB is 160 lbs…enough said. Solution: A couple guys actually over 200 lbs!

FB: Had to convert a linemen to FB because our projected starter quit the program. And we can’t seem to run the ball… probably more on the OL though.

OL: Can’t run the ball. Several procedural penalties. Produce no push! Need some NDSU/SDSU type guys who can push the pile.

WR: A+

DL: Other teams run the ball at ease. No penetration!

LB: Defenses run the ball, can’t cover anyone, can’t produce turnovers, limited emotion, the list goes on…Need some “Football Players” that love contact and just make plays by always being around the football. Digger Anderson-types please...

DBS: Can’t cover anyone, no interceptions, etc. 160 and 170 lbs CBs won’t get the job done. Need both more physical and more athletic guys back there.

K: A

P: Great young talent

I know this is very generalized, but several recruiting hole are quite evident, particularly with the offensive and defensive linemen. Some of our starters belong in DII football, not the Big Sky Conference!

Just look at the 2 most recent classes. The only position they haven't done an outstanding job on is CB with those two classes. Though maybe Konalowsi will be a player, he showed signs before he didn't keep his grades up.

A.) Morton

B.) Solomonson

C.)Hager

D.) Babich

The answer is C, the other 3 ran a clean program.

Just look at the 2 most recent classes. The only position they haven't done an outstanding job on is CB with those two classes. Though maybe Konalowsi will be a player, he showed signs before he didn't keep his grades up.

How do you know they did an outstanding job? If you are playing guys that can't stop an opponent once in a game, you would think those young guys should be playing if they are outstanding. I guess I'll wait to see how they eventually pan out until I say that they are outstanding classes.

• Upvote 2