SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

Here is one of the things that irks me about Coach Mussman. After the games he never, ever tells it like it is. He will never come and say "we flat out got our butts kicked, they outcoached us, outplayed us, and it all starts with me...". Never once has he called a spade a spade. There is always a "but" thrown in there. Like last night (paraphrasing) - "Montana played great, its frustrating, but we kept shooting ourselves in the foot". No you didnt, you got your f-king ass kicked in every phase of the game. Even the best coaches in America come out and say when they got killed by another team.

I think fans would back off a wee bit if he would just come out and do that one time. Say you got your ass kicked and the other staff out coached you. JUST ONCE. Send a message to your team that they DID NOT play a good game and they WERE NOT playing "toe-to-toe with them. Let your team know they sucked and need to get better through the media. It can be awfully effective.

They did shoot themselves in the foot though, he was telling the truth but it wouldn't have been enough against that team because they also got their asses handed to them up front. UND best O Lineman got his ass kicked up and down the field, that's not coaching. Now the coaching stuff involves all the stupid penalties and things like that which has been a huge problem the last two games. I think I counted about 7 missed or bad passes to wide open players and that's not counting the INT's. That sort of thing is shooting yourself in the foot IMO.

So if Muss is fired.....who is on the short list of replacements? I will admit to having absolutely no clue on this one.

A good first step would be to look at a list of former UND coaches, then look at a list of former UND players. Whittle your final decision down from there.

Or........ we COULD look outside of our walls for a change...........

I'm beginning to think Kotelnicki was promoted by Muss purely so that a fresh DC from outside of the program wouldn't threaten his job.

Call me crazy.

A good first step would be to look at a list of former UND coaches, then look at a list of former UND players. Whittle your final decision down from there.

Or........ we COULD look outside of our walls for a change...........

I'm beginning to think Kotelnicki was promoted by Muss purely so that a fresh DC from outside of the program wouldn't threaten his job.

Call me crazy.

Crazy, that would have required a miracle worker to make this defense good enough for that.

We need to implode and start over. Aside from our QB's and a few offensive skill players, most of these kids don't belong at this level. Last night proved that. A coaching change, a general roster purge and a rebuilding plan is in order. Will it take a few years to see some results? Yeah, but anything is better than what we have now.

I wonder what would happen if, next game, we come out and refuse to pass the ball downfield for the first few drives and the coaches attempt a smash mouth attack with runs and screens? Anyone think the OL would maybe wake up and get an edge? There's nothing like being able to enforce your will on an opponent like we used to.

That offensive line didn't look capable of "Smashmouth" football.

In all honestly, I came on this thread last year saying I wanted Muss to stay to see the young kids with 4 years of playoffs grow. After the events of last night... Its hard for me to keep that stance, that was a embarrassing performance from the head coach to the water boy. In my 5 years in the student section I've only left twice before halftime in full disgust (you all know the 1st one).

False starts at home should not happen, constant 15 yard penalties should not happen, etc. Discipline is very lacking and something or someone needs to get the troops in line

We cannot have repeats of last night, but with MSU and EWU still coming around the bend.... something needs to change fast.

I doubt Tibesar would be intetested. I could be wrong but it seems like he has a pretty gopd gig.

I agree, but maybe he'd come back with the chance to be a head coach. I mean a defensive coach with big time college football and NFL coaching experience.

I don't know. What is Bob Babich doing? :D

Pathetic performance form Athletic department to coaches to students and fans. Sideline needs to be cleaned up. What the hell is Kauk doing there? We can't have fans wandering around on the sideline. If he can't afford a ticket someone PM me and I will buy him season tickets. One of Mussman's biggest failures is the lack of understanding of the psychology of coaching The importance of sideline discipline and attention to detail is important for any leader. There should be a grad assistant whose game responsibility is sideline discipline. They make sure guys don't run on the field to celebrate and they make sure guys are paying attention so they don't forget to get in the field for special teams or be ready when someone is hurt. They should be constantly talking to backups about game points and coaching points so those kids not playing are also staying focused. This game was a step backwards and if this trend continues we need to pick up this discussion at the end of the season. Faison needs to be making tentative plans now though. We don't accomplish anything by making a change right now.

With all due respect Kauk can be on the sidelines whenever the hell he wants. I always looked forward to seeing him there and I know I had teammates that did as well. When he missed home games things just didn't feel right.

There does need to be way better sideline discipline though. WAY better.

With all due respect Kauk can be on the sidelines whenever the hell he wants.

There does need to be way better sideline discipline though. WAY better.

Your first statement is not accurate. He's there as a guest of the team and at UND's discretion, not his.

The other statement is hugely accurate. But, as I've said, teams reflect their coaches.

Your first statement is not accurate. He's there as a guest of the team and at UND's discretion, not his.

The other statement is hugely accurate. But, as I've said, teams reflect their coaches.

Kauk is welcomed with open arms by every sports team in town. It's kind of up to his discretion at this point. It's almost like Serge Gambucci getting tickets to hockey games but not quite.

Pathetic performance form Athletic department to coaches to students and fans. Sideline needs to be cleaned up. What the hell is Kauk doing there? We can't have fans wandering around on the sideline. If he can't afford a ticket someone PM me and I will buy him season tickets. One of Mussman's biggest failures is the lack of understanding of the psychology of coaching The importance of sideline discipline and attention to detail is important for any leader. There should be a grad assistant whose game responsibility is sideline discipline. They make sure guys don't run on the field to celebrate and they make sure guys are paying attention so they don't forget to get in the field for special teams or be ready when someone is hurt. They should be constantly talking to backups about game points and coaching points so those kids not playing are also staying focused. This game was a step backwards and if this trend continues we need to pick up this discussion at the end of the season. Faison needs to be making tentative plans now though. We don't accomplish anything by making a change right now.

K Dog has been on the sideline and practice and games for years. This was going on long before Muss was the coach. The sideline discipline is bad and I think we have always had a few that aren't as focused as they need to be. I also doubt many would be complaining if we won the last two games. That being said these athletes should all care more about it, you put that type of time and work in and I can't imagine goofing during a game. I don't know exactly how many guys it is that are a problem but say it's 25. What is the coaches recourse if the players have been addressed and they continue? Do they get booted from the team? Something like that would create a whole world of other problems. Maybe the answer is not dressing guys you are positive as a coach will not touch the field.

K Dog has been on the sideline and practice and games for years. This was going on long before Muss was the coach. The sideline discipline is bad and I think we have always had a few that aren't as focused as they need to be. I also doubt many would be complaining if we won the last two games. That being said these athletes should all care more about it, you put that type of time and work in and I can't imagine goofing during a game. I don't know exactly how many guys it is that are a problem but say it's 25. What is the coaches recourse if the players have been addressed and they continue? Do they get booted from the team? Something like that would create a whole world of other problems. Maybe the answer is not dressing guys you are positive as a coach will not touch the field.

Senior leadership solves that type of stuff in an instant.

As much as I hate to admit it, the Montana game may be just a preview of what we will see in the next two weeks. Montana State and E. Washington are even better teams. If we see two more blowouts like we saw on Saturday, the seat Muss will be on will be hotter than its ever been. I think Muss and his group of former players are getting out coached and this season will prove it. He is way out of his league. In my opinion, they need to start fresh and spend some money and hire a coach with FCS experience. We need to change the face of this program with new coaches and a new philosophy. With a new staff and a new practice facility, the program could really turn around. I am still optimistic about this season, but I am not looking forward to these next two games.

Kauk is welcomed with open arms by every sports team in town. It's kind of up to his discretion at this point. It's almost like Serge Gambucci getting tickets to hockey games but not quite.

No its not. Serge is a hall of famer and isn't hanging out on the sideline. I would buy the guy a ticket. I don't want guys on the sideline who don't belong there. Very few exceptions such as a kid with cancer etc. Give the guy a job with the equipment manager and give him a purpose for being there. We did that when I was coaching with a similar situation and they guy worked his butt off and belonged. A casual fan has no business there. He hasn't missed tackles nor has he thrown interceptions so I don't think he is the cause of the problems, but if you want sideline discipline then you need to minimize distractions. You can't have fans wandering around talking to players during games. Make up your mind. You want sideline discipline then get serious. You either have a purpose for being there or you don't belong. My son-in-law played for the Cowboys for 8 years and a lot of people thought Jerry Jones was a sideline distraction at times and he certainly had a right to be there.