SiouxSports.com Forum

Nickname or NO Nickname?

Samaman

Nickname or NO Nickname?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND have a Nickname - Yes or No?

I have it on good authority that UND will have a nickname, but it won't be for a year or two. The revenue to be gained by having a nickname to market is to big to ignore.

We should form a venture to buy up all of the licensed Sioux gear available. Once the name is announced and marketed, we could sell the Sioux gear at a premium to those who would never buy the new stuff. :D

We should form a venture to buy up all of the licensed Sioux gear available. Once the name is announced and marketed, we could sell the Sioux gear at a premium to those who would never buy the new stuff. :D

This or the current equities markets ... lemme think ... I'm in. :D

Control what is yours to control.

No moniker opens the door for someone who may not be looking out for UND's best interests (Dave Kolpack, Mike McFeely, etc.) to tag UND with something that at best is a left-handed compliment.

Moniker. Upon entry to the Big Sky and the NCHC. No better time to establish it.

Control what is yours to control.

I have it on good authority that UND will have a nickname, but it won't be for a year or two. The revenue to be gained by having a nickname to market is to big to ignore.

Sounds good to me. I'd rather not have the UND administration trying to shove a new nickname down our throats immediately after the Sioux nickname is retired.

Sounds good to me. I'd rather not have the UND administration trying to shove a new nickname down our throats immediately after the Sioux nickname is retired.

I'd be shocked if the ncaa does not require a replacement nickname as part of their legal agreement. The reasons that the ncaa would require a new nickname are too obvious that it does not require elaboration. Not changing the nickname, that simply would not be acceptable by the ncaa.

I'd be shocked if the ncaa does not require a replacement nickname as part of their legal agreement. The reasons that the ncaa would require a new nickname are too obvious that it does not require elaboration. Not changing the nickname, that simply would not be acceptable by the ncaa.

Be shocked. The agreement states nothing about having no nickname.

Sure, why the hell not. This isn't about the students, alumni, whatever. It's about the Benjamins. Pathetic.

UND will have a nickname sometime within the next two school years, but I'm in the 50% of the voters that do not want a new nickname at any time.

Here is a question. With a new nickname does everything that the university established with the sioux legacy eventually die? I have a two month old son. When he gets to be 10 years old will we still be talking about the once great Fighting Sioux name? With what the NCAA wants to do with the arena, will there be any remnants of the nickname or the logo other than what some of the diehards will still try to keep alive? What will my son tell his children in 30 years? I'll do my best to try and teach him what it stood for, and the pride that went with cheering for the fighting sioux, but I really don't think he'll ever be able to understand what it meant to people.

In my opinion (I'm always wrong people...just my opinion)....no new nickname means that the lesson will need to be taught again and again (A) What the Nickname was before it was retired. (B) Why it was retired. ( C ) Why it will forever be a controversial issue to many individuals who disagree with what the NCAA was trying to accomplish with their legislation. Lets say in 12 years UND is playing in the frozen four title game on national TV. Barry Melrose (if he's still with us..) and whoever is calling the game will at some point have to bring some light to the issue of why UND has no nickname.

Just my two cents.

• Upvote 3

It will at least be hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue because once the name is established everyone will need to buy new stuff. Goon posted the NCAA statement about a replacement name in his blog and it appears a little vague. I would guess they are negotiating with the NCAA (oxymoron I know), to have some time for "healing" otherwise any name that comes too soon will be trashed. The reality is a name is needed for revenue purposes you can't copywrite or register "North Dakota".

It will at least be hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue because once the name is established everyone will need to buy new stuff. Goon posted the NCAA statement about a replacement name in his blog and it appears a little vague.

Yeah, I do agree that the settlement language is a vauge... Depending how you read it...

It will at least be hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue because once the name is established everyone will need to buy new stuff. Goon posted the NCAA statement about a replacement name in his blog and it appears a little vague. I would guess they are negotiating with the NCAA (oxymoron I know), to have some time for "healing" otherwise any name that comes too soon will be trashed. The reality is a name is needed for revenue purposes you can't copywrite or register "North Dakota".

I have all of the "stuff" I need and I will continue to use and promote the Fighting Sioux in Grand Forks, at regional events and national events. It is going to be a very very long time (if ever) before you never see Fighting Sioux merchandise at sioux sporting events. I would bet that Fighting Sioux merchandise will dominate at sporting events. I am pretty sure that I will not buy any new stuff so the new nickname and moniker will not be necessary in my eyes.

I have all of the "stuff" I need and I will continue to use and promote the Fighting Sioux in Grand Forks, at regional events and national events. It is going to be a very very long time (if ever) before you never see Fighting Sioux merchandise at sioux sporting events. I would bet that Fighting Sioux merchandise will dominate at sporting events. I am pretty sure that I will not buy any new stuff so the new nickname and moniker will not be necessary in my eyes.

That is a principled stance. It sounds a lot like what was being said 15 years ago in Grand Forks in regard to the Central High School Redskins knickame. It wasn't very long, once they finally settled on the new nickname, that Knights apparrell dominated. Today it is rare to see anyone wearing Redskins apparrel in Grand Forks. You might find it on occassion, but it is rare.

These statements are precisely why UND will need a new moniker. The NCAA (and all their proxies and minions) won't stand for a "we don't have a nickname" claim as (defunct) Sioux jerseys and jackets stroll by.

A small "cooling off period" and then a new moniker to open up play in the Big Sky and National Collegiate Hockey Conference would be the approach most logical to me.

• Upvote 2

These statements are precisely why UND will need a new moniker. The NCAA (and all their proxies and minions) won't stand for a "we don't have a nickname" claim as (defunct) Sioux jerseys and jackets stroll by.

A small "cooling off period" and then a new moniker to open up play in the Big Sky and National Collegiate Hockey Conference would be the approach most logical to me.

+1 from me on this sentiment, it is just illogical to go without one for many reasons, some of which you have stated right here.

We do NOT need a new nickname and logo. If a new one is chosen, I for one will not purchase any merchandise that adorns it.

I have been stockpiling my Fighting Sioux gear for years for if and when this day came. I will still wear it to EVERY UND event I attend. I will also still yell and cheer for The Fighting Sioux.

In 30 years, if you see a man wearing ragged and torn FIghting Sioux gear to athletic events, there is a good chance it might be me.

Here's my middle finger the NC$$.

GO SIOUX!

Nicely stated. What you just laid out is exactly why I have been so adamant about no nickname at all if and when the current name is officially gone.

At the end of the day it is about the money. There is a reason that every other university in the United States has one, it is an important part of the business and one that brings in a significant amount of money to fund athletics. I will continue to donate on an annually basis to the University of North Dakota as a college because I believe in what they do. Let's remember that we are bigger than a nickname and all of the students who came after me will have my support whether it be as a Fighitng Sioux or a flickertail again.