SiouxSports.com Forum

Nickname or NO Nickname?

Samaman

Nickname or NO Nickname?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND have a Nickname - Yes or No?

I understand the hurt and pain behind the "no nickname" comments, but there's no such thing as a "nickname or no nickname" debate. We WILL have one. The only question is how long the cooling off period and the selection process will last. At the latest, it will be here for the 2013 fall sports seasons, maybe earlier. So, the real choice is:

I (don't/do) want to participate in selecting the new nickhame/mascot that will be associated with my university and sports teams for decades to come. This discussion over no nickname is a fool's errand. Sorry if that rubs some of you raw, but that's the truth.

I think regardless the university will lose money on the apparel that they sell in the future. Many like Vince (and myself) will be pained to buy anything that does not say Sioux or has a foreign logo on it. They will still sell plenty of "University of North Dakota" sweaters, etc, or t-shirts with the ND logo, etc, but it will probably never truly be like it was because for years you will have the renegades that under any circumstance will not buy the new logo apparel.

I'm with ya Vince. I'll be right next to you with my tattered sioux sweatshirts.....and my Central Redskins stocking cap! :lol:

If they do decide to go with a nickname I hope they give alumnus of the university and current students a say in what the new nickname will be. I would hate for it to be a minority rules situation all over again and have a nickname committee of six individuals decide the name for everyone.

Email is cheap....start an email campaign where you take suggestions from the aforementioned groups of people. Take the 15 most popular suggestions, dwindle it down to 10, then 5, etc. You know what I mean. This way you have a name that the majority of individuals agree upon.

Email is cheap....start an email campaign where you take suggestions from the aforementioned groups of people. Take the 15 most popular suggestions, dwindle it down to 10, then 5, etc. You know what I mean. This way you have a name that the majority of individuals agree upon.

So you are saying we should use a process where the majority actually makes the decision? Wonder if the a-holes over at nc$$ have heard of this concept... :(

UND will lose money by dropping the Fighting Sioux name. I highly doubt that replacing it with a new name will offset the money that will be lost.

Perhaps in the short term. Over time, any "lost" revenue from Sioux gear will be made up by those who buy the new stuff. Unlike a few people around here, most people who support the name also support the school and many will probably end up buying new stuff eventually. Or their kids will when they hit campus and there's no alternative.

I think regardless the university will lose money on the apparel that they sell in the future. Many like Vince (and myself) will be pained to buy anything that does not say Sioux or has a foreign logo on it. They will still sell plenty of "University of North Dakota" sweaters, etc, or t-shirts with the ND logo, etc, but it will probably never truly be like it was because for years you will have the renegades that under any circumstance will not buy the new logo apparel.

I'm with ya Vince. I'll be right next to you with my tattered sioux sweatshirts.....and my Central Redskins stocking cap! :lol:

On a serious note....I still wear mine in winter. Its still in my SUV!!

UND will lose money by dropping the Fighting Sioux name. I highly doubt that replacing it with a new name will offset the money that will be lost.

Every team will have a nickname. Just look at the schools in GF that changed maybe good, maybe bad.

West Elementary School-- Old: Warriors New: Wolves

Valley Jr. High --- Old: Warriors New: Royals

Central High---Old: Redskins New: Knights

Wilder Elem. : Old Warriors New: ?

This discussion over no nickname is a fool's errand. Sorry if that rubs some of you raw, but that's the truth.

Fool's errand? 60% of this forum disagrees with you so far.

No. It's just very naive to believe the university won't adopt a new one so let's all get involved and help shape that. If we don't, one will be picked for us.

I guess I'm a fool AND naive. ;)

EDIT: By the way, is the NCAA in the business of picking names and logos for schools now too in addition to social engineering? Sorry, once again can't help myself.

That is a principled stance. It sounds a lot like what was being said 15 years ago in Grand Forks in regard to the Central High School Redskins knickame. It wasn't very long, once they finally settled on the new nickname, that Knights apparrell dominated. Today it is rare to see anyone wearing Redskins apparrel in Grand Forks. You might find it on occassion, but it is rare.

True.....but it has been 16 years and Marquette Warrior apparel still dominates the crowds at Marquette hoops games.

Understood.

But don't you think the people who support the school would buy just as much gear with no nickname as they would gear with a new nickname? I think the theory that a new nickname would sell more gear than no nickname is naive.

To play devil's advocate, having no nickname for a while could actually be a financial gain to the school.

- The last year there has been a huge loading up of Fighting Sioux apparel by fans like us who want to have enough socked away to wear for years.

- If the Fighting Sioux nickname is retired and no new nickname is chosen initially, there will still be jerseys for sale but they will be a combination of 'UND', interlocking 'ND', 'North Dakota', and maybe some new stuff we haven't thought of, but there will be a ton of it out there, and will probably be received better by pro-nicknamers than a new nickname would at that point. Sales of those products should be good as nobody would have a problem with any of those names/logos, even though the stands will still be filled with mostly Sioux gear.

- Then if a new nickname is chosen down the road, again there will be a ton of new merchandise out there, plus all the 'no nickname' gear will still be in play because it's basically all saying UND, plus there will still be a lot of Sioux gear being worn.

So between the record Sioux gear sales that are going on now, the no-nickname gear sales that would take place, then the sales of new-nickname gear, it could hypothetically make for a huge 4 or 5 years of merchandise sales for the school.

That said, I would still be surprised if we didn't have a new nickname fairly quickly if we lose Fighting Sioux.

Understood.

But don't you think the people who support the school would buy just as much gear with no nickname as they would gear with a new nickname? I think the theory that a new nickname would sell more gear than no nickname is naive.

How many people bought the plain ol North Dakota hockey jerseys back in '93 when Ken Baker got rid of the Blackhawk logo. I would say not many. So IMO a new nickname will definately outsell a plain UND with no nickname.

Fool's errand? 60% of this forum disagrees with you so far.

I guess I'm a fool AND naive. ;)

EDIT: By the way, is the NCAA in the business of picking names and logos for schools now too in addition to social engineering? Sorry, once again can't help myself.

Yep, a whole 30 people! There are tens of thousands of UND alums and fans so 30-22 is not a representative sample....just a sample of 50 passionate folks. Overall, it doesn't matter what the few hundred of us on this forum or board think. A new nickname is coming even if every member of this forum said it shouldn't. You can help choose it, or let someone else choose it. Your choice. But no-nickname is not an option after some short cooling off period. We will have one in two years - tops. I realize you don't like that but that's the way it is.

Yep, a whole 30 people! There are tens of thousands of UND alums and fans so 30-22 is not a representative sample....just a sample of 50 passionate folks. Overall, it doesn't matter what the few hundred of us on this forum or board think. A new nickname is coming even if every member of this forum said it shouldn't. You can help choose it, or let someone else choose it. Your choice. But no-nickname is not an option after some short cooling off period. We will have one in two years - tops. I realize you don't like that but that's the way it is.

I agree, there will be a new nickname and logo at somepoint, whether it is next year, 2 years or further down the road.

My guess is there will be a new nickname for the start of the fall 2012 season. Kelley said it was a great marketing opportunity so you know he wants a new name/logo. If he wants it then you know it will happen.

As far as helping to choose a name, I want no part of that. I really don't care what they pick...besides, if it was up to me I would try to come up with a nickname that would be offensive to the NC$$.

For me the nickname for UND is "Fighting Sioux" - today, tomorrow, next year, 5 years...forever.

The only other nickname I could possibly support is "Fighting", then our jerseys could just use a large FU for the logo, next to an NC$$ patch.

• Upvote 2

I agree, there will be a new nickname and logo at somepoint, whether it is next year, 2 years or further down the road.

My guess is there will be a new nickname for the start of the fall 2012 season. Kelley said it was a great marketing opportunity so you know he wants a new name/logo. If he wants it then you know it will happen.

As far as helping to choose a name, I want no part of that. I really don't care what they pick...besides, if it was up to me I would try to come up with a nickname that would be offensive to the NC$$.

For me the nickname for UND is "Fighting Sioux" - today, tomorrow, next year, 5 years...forever.

The only other nickname I could possibly support is "Fighting", then our jerseys could just use a large FU for the logo, next to an NC$$ patch.

This is what scares me the most, and the reason that I don't want a new nickname. If they pick a new name that is a disaster than I absolutely care because its the name that will be representing my university's sporting teams for likely the rest of its existence.

If there must be a new name, its got to be something that the alumni, students, etc. can live with, which likely means that the aforementioned must be involved in the name process.

Whats the odds that we will have a new nickname and mascot to go with it?? I see Kelley wanting a name that we can have a mascot too.

Agree,whether we get a new mascot or not depends on the name. Something like Nokota's would be easy to do, something like Fighting Spirit or Scoundrels is pretty tough, unless one of you characters wants to model for the Scoundrel theme.

I would be willing to bet that UND will have a nickname by fall 2012. With the new conference affiliations, there will be something in place by the start of Big Sky competition, whether you want it or not. How the vote on this thread comes out will not have an impact on the administration's timing.

The best we can hope for is to have some influence on the name chosen, but there is not even a strong consensus among the hundred plus votes on the New Nickname thread. Rough Riders has held steady with a third of the votes, followed by Other, then some form of Norse. If Rough Riders is chosen as the new name, two thirds of the people on this board would have preferred something else and may be unhappy. Just goes to say there is no good replacement for Fighting Sioux, but again, my bet is that a new name will be in place within 12 months.

I hope Darell is right, that there will be a mascot. That should rule out weather phenomena and inanimate PC names like Flames (though not so sure how PC Flames is). However, with the PC crowd in control (and the loss of the Fighting Sioux name does acknowledge that the PC crowd is, indeed, in control), alumni, students and fans will need to be strong and united.

Show me where I said THIS POLL would determine our fate on this issue. It's an opinion poll, plain and simple.

The poll question is: Should UND have a nickname or not?

Don't call me or others who agree with me "fools and naive" because we don't share your insight or opinion on this. I have NEVER posted that I think "no nickname" will come to fruition. It's my wish however.

You have your opinion on this, others have theirs. Small sample and scale in the big picture of things, and I get that.

You seem to be pretty certain of yourself and you are unfortunately probably right in the long run, but that doesn't mean that myself or the others who agree have to accept that with a smile, much like we all despise the NC$$ for their part in this.

So not only did the NC$$ force all of this down our throats, but now we get to have another nickname and logo shoved down our throats. I'm not into that type of thing. Sorry if that rubs some of you the wrong way, but that's the way it is. Sorry.

• Upvote 1

Agree,whether we get a new mascot or not depends on the name. Something like Nokota's would be easy to do, something like Fighting Spirit or Scoundrels is pretty tough, unless one of you characters wants to model for the Scoundrel theme.

Unless they pick a mascot unrelated to the name like Thunder the Bleacher Creature was.

I think you have something there. Why not choose the "Bleacher Creatures" as the nickname? When I went to law school there, I never could figure out what in the hell the damn thing was - maybe an ape - so how could it possibly be offensive to any group? Plus, it's unique to UND. I never could figure out what in the hell was so offensive about it. Hell, he even made an appearance at the Malpractice Bowl one year. I vote for that nickname and, for whatever reason, I am sure it would still piss off the PC police somehow, someway.

Control what's yours to control or someone will do it for you.

How long, with no nickname, until someone tags something that plays with the media? There are "friends" out there trying already. Some are half serious/half snide (meaning they just might stick). All it takes is one that's semi-flattering to stick.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24275

Control what's yours to control and have it ready for the Big Sky and NCHC.

Control what's yours to control or someone will do it for you.

How long, with no nickname, until someone tags something that plays with the media? There are "friends" out there trying already. Some are half serious/half snide (meaning they just might stick). All it takes is one that's semi-flattering to stick.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24275

Control what's yours to control and have it ready for the Big Sky and NCHC.

Its so nice to see that Moo U has moved on and is enjoying our nickname issue. Remember what goes around comes around.