SiouxSports.com Forum

coaches

siouxfbfan

Right, so how much of football IQ is innate or can actually be coached? How about comprehension of schemes and execution of assignments? Tackling?

This 2012 defensive staff is the pretty much the same as it was in 2011. The 2011 defense was pretty good comparatively speaking. Did the defensive staff get dumber in one year or did the players have 'issues'?

I guess I'll answer my own question by saying yes, I do believe the players will get smarter, more talented and execute better in 2013 on defense.

I hope I'm right.

The talent of the teams and overall ofeensive skill we played in 2011 vs. 2012 was night and day too. I would say the 2011 D would not have done much better vs. the 2012 schedule than the 2012 D did. Just my opinion...

I was very critical of John Kelling during his tenure as co-Defensive Coordinator. The reason was because I saw his secondary regress every year he was at the helm, while Mannassau's front 7 typically played quality defense, and at times even stellar defense as far as stopping the run.

Much to my delight, Kelling departed during the last off-season and the entire defense was handed over to Mannassau, a change that I trumpeted. As we all saw, the 2012 pass defense continued to be pourous, while the normally stoudt run defense was even worse.

My point is, a simple coaching staff change, whether it be the head job or assistant positions, does not automatically translate to success.

My personal opinion is that both Mussman and Mannassau have built up enough equity within this program to be given more time to prove themselves. Circumstances like the transition and the nickname have been discussed ad nauseum, so I won't revisit those issues again here.

Regardless of any circumstances, it is not like the last 5 years have been a disaster, although they certainly could have been better. There have been some embarrassing losses like Sioux Falls and blowout losses like EWU and MSU. There have also been quality wins against Top 25 programs like Cal Poly in '09, and USD and SUU in '11, a finish in the Top 25 polls, and a conference championship.

Has it been all roses? No.

I may change my tune if we muddle through the next 2 or 3 seasons near .500, but for now I would like to see what Mussman can do with this program in the near term with a level playing field and solid footing in a quality football conference.

• Upvote 2

If all these recruiting "chest bumps" don't translate into W's in the record books, then we know what the problem is. And it wouldn't be "players not making plays".

This hole recruiting chest bump thing grated on me a bit. While I'm very happy they are signing guys they want, part of me couldn't help but think "spare me the chest bumping and just win some games".
  • Upvote 1

My personal opinion is that both Mussman and Mannassau have built up enough equity within this program to be given more time to prove themselves.

What is this equity that you reference? Please elaborate...

Mussman has been here for 13 years. He was part of the staff that went to two national championship games. He was the OC for some of the best offenses in UND history. He could have left to become a head coach at a DII school at any time from about 2005-08, but chose to stay on Lennon's staff. He turned a 3 win team into an 8 win team in a year's time. He's demonstrated that he holds his players to high standards off the field and in the class room.

Mannassau is a former player, and with the exception of the debacle that was 2012, has fielded a competetive defense during his time as DC.

Mussman has been here for 13 years. He was part of the staff that went to two national championship games. He was the OC for some of the best offenses in UND history. He could have left to become a head coach at a DII school at any time from about 2005-08, but chose to stay on Lennon's staff. He turned a 3 win team into an 8 win team in a year's time. He's demonstrated that he holds his players to high standards off the field and in the class room.

Mannassau is a former player, and with the exception of the debacle that was 2012, has fielded a competetive defense during his time as DC.

Fair enough...a good OC in no way translates into a good HC. To his credit he has held the student-athletes to a high standard.

I see a 28-26 record, some horrible losses, poor coaching decisions that have costs HIS players potential wins late in games and no signature win in 5 years.

I see your side, but...

They're trying to do their part to show the excitement of recruiting and invoke the fans without NCAA violations. Nothing wrong with either of those

I agree. I like it. Look at how many times those tweets have been pasted on this board. I'd say they are serving their purpose.

• Upvote 1

I agree. I like it. Look at how many times those tweets have been pasted on this board. I'd say they are serving their purpose.

Totally agree! Keep chest bumps coming, or whatever you want to call them. Oh and just win, baby!!!! I'm selfish. I want both: Recruiting victories and wins ont the field.

• Upvote 2

Good point Teeder. Solid recruiting eventually turns into wins....it just doesn't happen overnight. I know we have all endured the transition but at the end of the day the transition didn't matter. Last season forward is what matters and we will get to where we want to go; we just need to be faithful and patient.

Someone remind me of the recruiting year where the coaches took the podium and said, "well, that sure sucked".

There's a recruiting party every year to celebrate all the great recruits that signed, and I'm as happy they did as the next guy, but my patience for recruiting celebrations has worn thin coming off a losing season-particularly when you get absolutely destroyed by the class of the conference. Win some games on the field, and I'll be chest bumping with you. Until then, you get a pat on the head and a "good work, see you in the fall".

To paraphrase Albert Einstein, you can't expect different results when you keep doing the same thing.

Looks like nothing is changing for next year. GRRRRRRRRRR

So you don't think coaches adapt and change how they do things? If that's the case how is Belichick so successful in New England? He certainly didn't have a great start to his NFL head coaching career and he is now a hall of fame coach. You don't have the slightest clue as to what is being done within the team and coaching staff to make improvements so how can you say it's the same thing. Yes the football team has a lot to improve on (mainly on defense) without having such a dramatic drop off in other areas. I didn't like what a saw with the defense this season but the passing game made an equally dramatic improvement over the past several seasons and that doesn't just happen by dumb luck or chance.

• Upvote 2

Recruiting has become a big part of college athletics. It now has full day coverage from ESPN and is a huge part of the All-Star games at the end of high school seasons. I'm all for the "chest bumps", the recruiting party and everything else the coaching staff does. I wish they would do more. I wish Wayne Nelson would somehow know or get tipped off immediately when a recruit committed.

So you don't think coaches adapt and change how they do things? If that's the case how is Belichick so successful in New England? He certainly didn't have a great start to his NFL head coaching career and he is now a hall of fame coach. You don't have the slightest clue as to what is being done within the team and coaching staff to make improvements so how can you say it's the same thing. Yes the football team has a lot to improve on (mainly on defense) without having such a dramatic drop off in other areas. I didn't like what a saw with the defense this season but the passing game made an equally dramatic improvement over the past several seasons and that doesn't just happen by dumb luck or chance.

He cheats. Remember Spygate!! :lol:

If staff changes never needed to be made, no NFL coach would get fired. However, that seems to be what frequently happens, and many times things turn around quickly after that.
  • Upvote 2

I'm all for optimism, but 4 of UND's first 6 game are vs. the Jacks, Griz, Cats and EWU. I understand they are all at the Al, but...

Next year's season IMO will shake out in the 1st 3 games...Valpo is a win, but the next 2, Jacks and Griz, will tell us what to expect the rest of the year.

If staff changes never needed to be made, no NFL coach would get fired. However, that seems to be what frequently happens, and many times things turn around quickly after that.

Works out well for the raiders doesn't it. Quality programs pro and collegiate have one thing in common and that is consistency in the coaching staff. They don't go around firing guys for a couple bad years because they know it takes time for a coach to imprint his style on a team and being trigger happy sets the program into recession.

Works out well for the raiders doesn't it. Quality programs pro and collegiate have one thing in common and that is consistency in the coaching staff. They don't go around firing guys for a couple bad years because they know it takes time for a coach to imprint his style on a team and being trigger happy sets the program into recession.

I am a fan of Mussman and some of the things he is doing on offense. He is a good teacher on the offensive line and did some great things with the offense last year, I have faith that he will make the proper adjustments with the run game and protection next year to further improve the offense. I can't however say the same things about Mannausau as I didn't see anything I liked last year. I still think he has at least another year at a minimum, but I guarantee you he has been put on notice that things need to change in a quick hurry. You simply can't have a defense like we did last year in a program that has made it's name on the defensive side of the ball. Hopefully we get back to what we know which is a strong front 7 as that could do wonders.

I am a fan of Mussman and some of the things he is doing on offense. He is a good teacher on the offensive line and did some great things with the offense last year, I have faith that he will make the proper adjustments with the run game and protection next year to further improve the offense. I can't however say the same things about Mannausau as I didn't see anything I liked last year. I still think he has at least another year at a minimum, but I guarantee you he has been put on notice that things need to change in a quick hurry. You simply can't have a defense like we did last year in a program that has made it's name on the defensive side of the ball. Hopefully we get back to what we know which is a strong front 7 as that could do wonders.

I do agree that I think the defense should have made more improvements during the season but they didn't and that was frustrating to watch.

I do agree that I think the defense should have made more improvements during the season but they didn't and that was frustrating to watch.

I'm not sure that's fair. The play of the secondary improved as the year went on, a little sure but it was better. They played an above average second half at unc and forced turnovers and had a very impressive goal line stand to keep the game within reach. Don't forget the injury situation. The defense was decimated by injuries. That usually doesn't happen two years in a row.