SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Well said, Chewey. They're dragging their feet, and with good reason. I would like to see some data proving not having an official nickname is detrimental to a university.

Last time we had a non-official nickname we were the University of North Dakota Flickertails. Detrimental enough?

If we want a nickname in time for the 2015-16 academic year (we should) and we want the nickname to be something that has the support/acceptance of a lot of different groups of people (alumni, locals, students, faculty, etc.),

Maybe the goal should be not despised.

As far as new Uniform's and the deal with Addidas, I would just stick with "University of North Dakota", "UND", interlocking UND, etc for branding on the Uniforms. I would NOT put the new name on them.....stick to T's and Hoods and general merchandise for that.

• Upvote 1

If I recall correctly, the wording of the North Dakota law prohibits UND from even beginning the process of choosing a new name prior to 2015. UND needs to be careful how they go about this or any wingnut can file a challenge in court that UND violated state law. I believe that is why the UND announcement was very carefully worded to say the group is only looking at the process of selecting a new name at this time.

Law: http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/62-2011/special-session/documents/11-0830-02006m.pdf

SECTION 1. UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA ATHLETIC NICKNAME AND LOGO.

Neither the state board of higher education nor the university of North Dakota may adopt or implement an athletic nickname or corresponding logo before January 1, 2015.

Doesn't appear to be anything prohibiting UND from starting the process of identifying a new name, it simply can't be finalized until January. A few legislators have made comments about a potential extension of the cooling off period, perhaps the University is waiting for them to back off.

• Upvote 1

A few legislators have made comments about a potential extension of the cooling off period, perhaps the University is waiting for them to back off.

How come the SBoHE had a hissy-fit when the Legislature last tried to control something under the SBoHE umbrella but this time they are mysteriously quiet.

How about the Green and Shiite?

I just got a text from my buddy who is the VP of the new Islamic caliphate - he says that that is insensitive to his culture and they do not approve. Then he had to go and chop some heads off of some Iraqi soldiers and pose with them on Instagram.

I think we can throw most names referencing a group of people out the window. It'll likely be an animal, a force of nature, or some other non-human name. I'm trying to come up with an exhaustive list (including some "?non-offensive?" humans)....

1. Sodbusters :crazy:
  2. Homesteaders :crazy:
  3. Spirit :crazy:
  4. Flames
  5. Mustangs
  6. Ducks
  7. Wildfire
  8. Blizzard
  9. Big Green :crazy:
  10. Reapers
  11. Cougars
  12. Eagles
  13. Hawks
  14. Owls
  15. Pike
  16. Channel Cats
  17. Oilers
  18. Screaming Weasels :D
  19. 89ers
  20. Rattlers
  21. Paddlefish
  22. Pronghorn
  23. Bighorns
  24. White-Tails
  25. Nodaks
  26. Mindaks
  27. Canucks :whistling:
  28. Yeah sure you betchyas
  29. Cavalry
  30. Flatlanders
  31. Aviators/bus drivers of the future ;)
  32. Wheat Kings
  33. Rivermen
  34. Predators
  35. Outlaws
  36. Legacy
  37. Ice
  38. Freeze
  39. Sundogs :glare:
  40. Thunder
  41. Aurora
  42. Stars
  43. Pelicans
  44. Vikings
  45. Brewers
  46. Sugar Kings
  47. Barons
  48. Miners
  49. Goons
  50. Tornadoes
  51. Perhaps go for more of a corporate sponsor look:

1. Red Bulls
    2. Buffalo Wild Wings
    3. 3M Sticky Notes
    4. American Tires
    5. Big Sioux Cafes....

The list is obviously desperate at times. Please feel free to add to or dismantle it. I'm sure (or at least I hope) I missed some good potential names that tie-in to North Dakota, sans the obvious Fighting Sioux.

I've given numerous other reasons why UND needs to select and begin to market a new moniker and logo.

Another reason is at the 1:50 mark of this:

Not exactly awe inspiring, and it doesn't roll off the tongue. Just add it to the list of reasons why this must be finalized.