SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Was just perusing eGriz and saw someone suggested the Rattlesnakes. I actually don't mind that one or something along those lines. Could use the color green easily enough and could shorten it to the Rattlers if needed. Might offend some people going from Sioux (snake) to Rattlesnakes, but personally, I'm done being sensitive to their opinions.

• 3 weeks later...

At risk of repeating myself ... a-a-a-a-gain ... "Norse" fails the test that failed "Sioux".

The actual NCAA policy bans monikers related to "race, ethnicity, or national origin", or what some call the RENO rule. Yes, the NCAA is not enforcing it equally (Irish, Seminoles, Vandals) but you have to know they'd love to slap us again just to slap us again.

At risk of repeating myself ... a-a-a-a-gain ... "Norse" fails the test that failed "Sioux".

The actual NCAA policy bans monikers related to "race, ethnicity, or national origin", or what some call the RENO rule. Yes, the NCAA is not enforcing it equally (Irish, Seminoles, Vandals) but you have to know they'd love to slap us again just to slap us again.

i think ur a little mistaken on your take on the Fighting Norse...you can't have monikers related to race, ethnicity, or national origin IF they are deemed "hostile or abusive" and if you don't have the closest tribe (or in our case the two closest) to sign off on it you are deemed to have a hostile or abusive mascot/moniker...Fighting Norse would pass the test and make UND a lot of money.

i think ur a little mistaken on your take on the Fighting Norse...you can't have monikers related to race, ethnicity, or national origin IF they are deemed "hostile or abusive" and if you don't have the closest tribe (or in our case the two closest) to sign off on it you are deemed to have a hostile or abusive mascot/moniker...Fighting Norse would pass the test and make UND a lot of money.

The approval by the tribes was a method to give the NCAA an out in cases where there was actually push back on the new policy. It wasn't part of the original policy. The long term goal of the NCAA still appears to be eliminating all Native American nicknames and imagery. The policy does discuss racial, ethnic and national origins. It isn't a big stretch of the imagination to think that they will extend the policy to all nicknames and imagery related to race, ethnicity or national origin at some time. So, at this point in time a name like Fighting Norse is not against the policy, but tSic has always wanted to avoid human nicknames that might be a target of an expanded NCAA policy.

Well if one Scanda-hoovian takes offense to the name then it's game over, right?
  • Upvote 1

I just hope its not the blizzard or freeze, or anything with bugs (mosquitos, gnats). Nicknames like Varmints or Channel Cats were good for minor league teams but not schools. Also nothing with just green...Big Green (Dartmouth), or Fighting Green or the Mean Green (North Texas). I am sure Roughriders will be tops on everyone's(those involved with the name changing committee) list. It would be tough for anyone that went to Central to cheer for Rough Riders. Norse sounds good, but it sounds like something associated with Vikings (Augustana, Minnesota (NFL), Portland State). Cavalry sounds violent (think PC now). Just think in just 14 months this brainstorm will become a reality. FOURTEEN MONTHS!!

The RENO rule is in place. There is no "if" in the official policy. I can't find the "if" written down anywhere other than in a settlement document specific to and pertaining only to UND.

The NCAA chose to enforce it's policy against UND but hasn't pressed the issue anywhere else. To that point, how would Notre Dame get tribal approval? Would they need a resolution out of Dublin?

The RENO rule is in place. There is no "if" in the official policy. I can't find the "if" written down anywhere other than in a settlement document specific to and pertaining only to UND.

The NCAA chose to enforce it's policy against UND but hasn't pressed the issue anywhere else. To that point, how would Notre Dame get tribal approval? Would they need a resolution out of Dublin?

I can't find it right now, but there was an official policy related to tribal approval. The NCAA decided they would allow appeals on a case-by-case basis and that

"The decision of a namesake sovereign tribe, regarding when and how its name and imagery can be used, must be respected even when others may not agree."

It was first announced for Florida State. With that precedent it was also set up for other schools using Native American names and imagery. They set up a window of time for the schools to get tribal approval. That's how other schools like Utah State still have approval for using Native American names.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/24/sports/24mascot.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://archives.republicans.edlabor.house.gov/archive/hearings/109th/fc/ncaa121506/franklin.htm

It was first announced for Florida State. With that precedent it was also set up for other schools using Native American names and imagery. They set up a window of time for the schools to get tribal approval. That's how other schools like Utah State still have approval for using Native American names.

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

http://archives.repu...06/franklin.htm

Wow, I didn't realize Utah State needed NCAA approval to use 'Aggies' as their nickname.