SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Only one group killed more buffalo than the Plains Indians. That group was the Cavalry (the US Army).

Calvary.....I kinda like that. Not a big fan of using "Roughriders." I don't think any college has "Calvary" as a nickname. I like the idea of our new name to be unique, something that stands out from the rest.

Calvary.....I kinda like that. Not a big fan of using "Roughriders." I don't think any college has "Calvary" as a nickname. I like the idea of our new name to be unique, something that stands out from the rest.

From Wikipedia,

Cavalry (from French cavalerie, cf. cheval 'horse') or horsemen were soldiers or warriors who fought mounted on horseback. Cavalry were historically the third oldest (after infantry and chariotry) and the most mobile of the combat arms. A soldier in the cavalry is known by a number of designations such as cavalryman, horseman or trooper.

Calvary or Golgotha /ˈɡɒlɡəθə/ was the site, outside of ancient Jerusalem’s early first century walls, at which the crucifixion of Jesus occurred. Calvary and Golgotha are the English names for the site used in Western Christianity.[1]

• Upvote 1

well, Siouperfan did say that Calvary would be unique

But Cavalry would be a good option, the 7th Cavalry was part of ND history.

There are several Cavaliers, most notably U of Virginia and the Cleveland NBA franchise. (and isn't cavalier an attitude or style of dress... makes me think of musketeers ;) )

http://www.prepsport...schoolid=149297Just

Just don't use this nickname!

That HS being in Ft. Collins I suspect the "lambkins" moniker they use is a play off of the Colorado State Rams being in town. (A lambkin is a young lamb and Rams have Lambs.)

It's like Ames, IA, is home to the Iowa State Cyclones and the Ames HS Little Cyclones.

That's why I say Rough Riders wouldn't be all bad for UND. (GFRRHS could be known as the Young Riders.)

That HS being in Ft. Collins I suspect the "lambkins" moniker they use is a play off of the Colorado State Rams being in town. (A lambkin is a young lamb and Rams have Lambs.)

It's like Ames, IA, is home to the Iowa State Cyclones and the Ames HS Little Cyclones.

That's why I say Rough Riders wouldn't be all bad for UND. (GFRRHS could be known as the Young Riders.)

Actually, that name came from the sheep industry that was pretty big in Fort Collins back in the day. Colorado State U was the Colorado A & M Aggies when Ft. Collins high started the lambkin name. They are oddly proud of that name at Fort Collins High School. To me, it's a source of amusement.

Hey hayduke, as a Lambkin and a graduate of The Fort Collins High School, our mascot is no source of amusement. Just as the Fighting Sioux nickname it is distinct and orginal, We are the only Lambkin mascot in the world. Also, like the Fighting Sioux we have honor, pride, and tradition in our nickname. So next time you wanna talk crap about something choose your words wisely.

Hey hayduke, as a Lambkin and a graduate of The Fort Collins High School, our mascot is no source of amusement. Just as the Fighting Sioux nickname it is distinct and orginal, We are the only Lambkin mascot in the world. Also, like the Fighting Sioux we have honor, pride, and tradition in our nickname. So next time you wanna talk crap about something choose your words wisely.

Oh, trust me. If we polled the Lambkin nickname, it would be a source of amusement to many.

But, hey, more power to you in supporting the Lambkin name. It is a great high school, btw.

But, somehow, I don't see ourselves as the University of North Dakota Fighting Lambkins.

• Upvote 1

What about the Sodbusters?

http://wiki.answers...._get_their_name

I don't think so...another DI school in ND had a similar nickname.

Sodbusters are farmers who moved onto the Great Plains in the late 1800s, and are named for ploughing and working on the hard ground of the plains in order to plant their harvests.

Read more: http://wiki.answers....e#ixzz1xgzSpr8S

I don't think so...another DI school in ND had a similar nickname.

Sodbusters are farmers who moved onto the Great Plains in the late 1800s, and are named for ploughing and working on the hard ground of the plains in order to plant their harvests.

Read more: http://wiki.answers....e#ixzz1xgzSpr8S

If I remember right though sodbusters was a derogatory slur at the farmers.

Might be a good idea to put new nickname ideas on the back burner until things settle down and people somewhat recover from the loss of the Fighting Sioux nickname. Even the people who voted yes and realized that giving up the name was the only way out of the NCAA situation are probably feeling a little sick about it, I couldn't vote not living in ND but still there is a sense of loss. It must be much worse for the pro-nickname people.

I don't even want to think about a new nickname right now, and I bet I'm not alone.

• Upvote 1

Might be a good idea to put new nickname ideas on the back burner until things settle down and people somewhat recover from the loss of the Fighting Sioux nickname. Even the people who voted yes and realized that giving up the name was the only way out of the NCAA situation are probably feeling a little sick about it, I couldn't vote not living in ND but still there is a sense of loss. It must be much worse for the pro-nickname people.

I don't even want to think about a new nickname right now, and I bet I'm not alone.

Plus we aren't going to have one for 3 years.