SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I said long, long ago, when the old name was retired, that people who care about UND Athletics should demand an immediate replacement. Why? Because all we've effectively done is cede the power and control away from those of us who were engaged and paying full attention to a bunch of folks who have at best self-serving motives*.

*Those are normally called weasels.

Today verifies my prior position. 

Well, I still have no clue how the list system works, but this was in the GF Herald's article this morning:

I wouldn't read too much into that, I think that means the literal name "no nickname" was rejected. "North Dakota" was on the accepted list.

The rejection list were pretty clearly pretty mechanically rejected for technical or procedural reasons and do not necessarily mean a similar name isn't under consideration. Keep in mind that these (clearly) aren't edited lists, so every single submission has to make its way to one of the two so the rejection list is going to appear a little sloppy to us. The "under consideration" list is the important one.

I've never visited your fine state.  

I'm here to mediate the perfect marriage of school and symbol, the perfect representation of the North Dakota experience.  

Never visited yet you know all about the North Dakota experience. 

Did you spend more time submitting weasels Ermines 50+ times or coming up with your trolling justifications for it on here?

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't read too much into that, I think that means the literal name "no nickname" was rejected. "North Dakota" was on the accepted list.

The rejection list were pretty clearly pretty mechanically rejected for technical or procedural reasons and do not necessarily mean a similar name isn't under consideration. Keep in mind that these (clearly) aren't edited lists, so every single submission has to make its way to one of the two so the rejection list is going to appear a little sloppy to us. The "under consideration" list is the important one.

Very well could be.  They definitely didn't spend much time making it so it was clear.

I am quite surprised that neither Rough Riders or Nokota will apparently not be considered.  Not really a fan of either, but figured both would probably be amongst the Top 5 or so in the end. 

There is one instance of roughriders in the consideration list, right below Roosevelt's Raiders

You know, I suspect I could pick nine people off this board and come up with a committee better suited to parse through the suggestions. 

Let's see:

jimdahl - chair

The Sicatoka - vice chair, because I'm good at many vices ;) 

ericpnelson

Benny Baker

jdub27

bincitysioux

82SiouxFan

dagies

Hayduke

And I left off a whole lot of folks who would do very well on such a committee (Sioux-cia, Oxbow, Mafia, ... PCM ... ) 

You know, I suspect I could pick nine people off this board and come up with a committee better suited to parse through the suggestions. 

Let's see:

jimdahl - chair

ericpnelson

Benny Baker

jdub27

bincitysioux

82SiouxFan

dagies

Hayduke

And I left off a whole lot of folks who would do very well on such a committee (Sioux-cia, Oxbow, Mafia, ... PCM ... ) 

Don't forget me, or don't I have enough posts?

Let's see:

jimdahl - chair

ericpnelson

Benny Baker

jdub27

bincitysioux

82SiouxFan

dagies

Hayduke

I can accept not making the list..... but where's the GOBC rep?

While I uderstand and appreciate the process being transparant and releasing the data for all the names submitted and the reasons why, I really would hope they would release follow up data showing all names listed that are eligible and clear up this whole issue of names being on both lists. 

No thanks........I was part (very small) of the national Obamacare boondoogle a few years back.  I'm still on meds and in therapy recoving from that!

While I uderstand and appreciate the process being transparant and releasing the data for all the names submitted and the reasons why, I really would hope they would release follow up data showing all names listed that are eligible and clear up this whole issue of names being on both lists. 

I;m guessing that because of laws associated with open access what we are seeing is the basic stuff - not cleaned up or edited which could raise questions about transparency. 

Let's see:

jimdahl - chair

ericpnelson

Benny Baker

jdub27

bincitysioux

82SiouxFan

dagies

Hayduke

I'll volunteer to be your outside market research expert.  You're going to need one for testing.

• Downvote 1

Let's see:

jimdahl - chair

ericpnelson

Benny Baker

jdub27

bincitysioux

82SiouxFan

dagies

Hayduke

Anyone who is anti Red Pepper is out.  Bincity has to go! 

• Upvote 1

I'll note another issue that hasn't yet been discussed on this site:  women's sports.  It's going to be very important that the name work for both men's teams and women's teams, and my hunch is that there aren't a lot of women's voices around here.  So when you think about mascots, ponder whether they'll work well for women't sports.  I would broach that "Flickertails" might not be a popular choice among women, for example.