SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Why would they do it again in 5 years. If they choose North Dakota, thats what it will be.

That's funny.  I'm sure going forward with no nickname, more or less giving the blessing to continue to use Fighting Sioux as the de facto nickname, won't continue to cause issues for the University.  If they don't fill the void with something, fans will continue to use the most convenient thing available to do so.  The last few years, when UND has had no nickname, is empirical evidence of that.  Sure, there will be people that continue to live in the past, but the majority will move on when given the opportunity to do so.  There are already many examples of this.  And no, moving on does not mean forgetting or disregarding the past, it means UND moving forward, trying to remove itself from a situation that is a net negative for the University.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Visited with someone who is pretty close to a committee member. During our visit, I was told the reason for three variations of Hawks is due to "consultant recommendations." According to whatever studies they've done on these situations before, birds/Hawks tend to be a preference or nice "neutral" solution.

Visited with someone who is pretty close to a committee member. During our visit, I was told the reason for three variations of Hawks is due to "consultant recommendations." According to whatever studies they've done on these situations before, birds/Hawks tend to be a preference or nice "neutral" solution.

Someone post the Herald article:

Removed native names become color with animal. Mostly a bird.

That consultant needs new material.

That's what you get from consultants. 

Miami University Redskins Red Hawks

Dickinson State Savages Blue Hawks

Indiana U of Pennsylvania Indians Crimson Hawks

Chowan University Braves Hawks

Martin Methodist College Indians Red Hawks
Seattle University Chieftains Red Hawks
Southeast Missouri State University Indians Red Hawks

Consultant Template:

1. < insert school name here >< line out Native related name here >< insert primary school color here > Hawks

2. Charge outrageous sum of cash for "market research" and such. 

• Upvote 2

Miami University RedMen Red Hawks

Dickinson State Savages Blue Hawks

Consultant Template:

1. < insert school name here >< line out Native related name here >< insert primary school color here > Hawks

I'm definitely in the wrong career field.................

If the nickname is ultimately (any color) Hawks I'll be so disapppointed.

Dickinson State Savages Blue Hawks

Consultant Template:

1. < insert school name here >< line out Native related name here >< insert primary school color here > Hawks

They ran out of eagle names so they switched to hawks.

Dickinson State Savages Blue Hawks

Consultant Template:

1. < insert school name here >< line out Native related name here >< insert primary school color here > Hawks

If it's a variation of Hawk, I hope it becomes Thunder Hawks if for nothing else, to see all the "alternative" Thunder Hawk gear that will surface...ie using Sitting Bull's friend as the logo...

I'm definitely in the wrong career field.................

If the nickname is ultimately (any color) Hawks I'll be so disapppointed.

I've added to that list since, and a couple schools (I didn't list these) broke the mold and went with "Sky" or "River" instead of < color > Hawks. Talk about "on the edge" consulting work there. 

Another, Arkansas State Indians Red Wolves, followed the pattern but went "Wolves", not "Hawks". 

I've added to that list since, and a couple schools (I didn't list these) broke the mold and went with "Sky" or "River" instead of < color > Hawks. Talk about "on the edge" consulting work there. 

Another, Arkansas State Indians Red Wolves, followed the pattern but went "Wolves", not "Hawks". 

So which do you perfer......Red Cocks or Green Cocks?

Simple question.................

Some of those are pretty bad, but my all time favorite "bad mascot" is this one from the Scottsdale Community College Fighting Artichokes:

scc-artichoke-300x192.jpg

Don't believe it? Check out gochokes.com.