SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

That's because it's really not about what is truly "offensive". Rather, it's about having more control of the process by being able to pick and choose which names related to NA culture they like (not offensive), and which names they don't like (offensive).

Until BRIDGES finds a Native American appalled by the use of the sacred word "Spirit" and we hop on the nickname merry-go-round all over again.

Best:

Roughriders

Good:

Cavalry (also ok with Calvary :) )

Could live with:

Explorers (though not conducive to cheers)

Sundogs (has grown on me in light of available choices. sorry Goon)

Not a fan:

Fighting Hawks

Green Hawks

North Stars

Kill me now:

Blaze

Fighting Green(ies)

Force

Nodaks

North Dakota

Pride

Spirit

Thunderhawks

My first quick and dirty attempt at a personal ranking:

Pretty much suck but don't suck as bad as the rest

1. Roughriders

2. Cavalry

3. Fighting Hawks

4. Thunderhawks

5. North Dakota

6. Nodaks

7. Force

8. Explorers

Totally suck like no other nicknames have sucked before

9. Blaze

10. Fighting Green

11. Green Hawks

12. Pride

13. Spirit

14. North Stars

15. Sundogs

Who else wants to play? :)

That's my fix-it for your list.

Best:

Roughriders

Good:

Cavalry (also ok with Calvary :) )

Could live with:

Explorers (though not conducive to cheers)

Sundogs (has grown on me in light of available choices. sorry Goon)

Not a fan:

Fighting Hawks

Green Hawks

North Stars

Kill me now:

Blaze

Fighting Green(ies)

Force

Nodaks

North Dakota

Pride

Spirit

Thunderhawks

I'm assuming Trailblazers is trademarked, otherwise that would be better than Explorers for the reason you gave.

The first six I would like to see hacked from the list in no particular order:

1. Blaze                   a horse with a white blaze, or what is this describing exactly?

2. Fighting Green    salad shooters?

3. Force                  what is a force?   

4. North Stars         Minnesota for one reason, and NORTH Dakota NORTH Stars is another

5. Pride                   all I got here is WTF

6. Spirit                    we got spirit, yes we do....  but we are not actually the spirits themselves.   abstract concepts are poor choices for a name.

• Upvote 1

I'm assuming Trailblazers is trademarked, otherwise that would be better than Explorers for the reason you gave.

Funny you should mention Trailblazers. It was one of the second pair of names I submitted (when the nominations opened).

My first quick and dirty attempt at a personal ranking:

I think I could live with

1. Roughriders

2. Cavalry

3. Fighting Hawks

4. Thunderhawks

5. North Dakota
6. Nodaks
7. Force

8. Explorers

No thanks

9. Blaze

10. Fighting Green

11. Green Hawks

12. Pride

13. Spirit

14. North Stars

15. Sundogs

Who else wants to play? :)

Same

Time for someone on the committee to step up and take North Dakota off the list. Shouldn't be an option. This committee needs to think about the long term effects that has on UND. Don't care what the hockey only fans or the hockey only writers think, would be a big mistake for the school. Roughriders or Cavalry will do just fine. Time to move on.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

Time for someone on the committee to step up and take North Dakota off the list. Shouldn't be an option. This committee needs to think about the long term effects that has on UND. Don't care what the hockey only fans or the hockey only writers think, would be a big mistake for the school. Roughriders or Cavalry will do just fine. Time to move on.

Yep, time to "move on" and think progressively: I hope to high heaven it's Spirit, Pride, or Sundogs and all those "hockey only" folks can sit back, laugh their butts off, and say "told ya so."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Gopher fans.

Anyone else still think Karl G is doing a bang-up job? His comment a few weeks earlier about the fan that sticks in his mind is the woman from Denver who wants an abstract nickname open to interpretation by the individual. Translation: he likes "Spirit."

yes karl g...you are now officially a !@#!$!

“I kind of like the ‘Spirit,’ as kind of the spirit of North Dakota,” Committee Chairman and UND alumnus Karl Goehring said. “It just sticks out a little bit to me."

Jim's list is solid, except it should say "no thanks" right after #2 and before #3.

"North Dakota" (no nickname) should not be on that list unless we have a signed letter from the NCAA saying no nickname meets the settlement agreement in their eyes. Nobody wants to have deal with this cluster again.

Do you guys really think you know more about what the NCAA will or will not allow than the UND does?

• Upvote 3

You will need to talk to McDonald if you would like one person on the commitee to single handedly eliminate a choice; he's the only member who wields that much power.

I think your assumption that people who want North Dakota are hockey only fans, is extremely inaccurate.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Couldn't hold back could you?

• Downvote 1