SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Who the hell keeps voting for sundogs?

Gopher fans.

Anyone else still think Karl G is doing a bang-up job? His comment a few weeks earlier about the fan that sticks in his mind is the woman from Denver who wants an abstract nickname open to interpretation by the individual. Translation: he likes "Spirit."

My first quick and dirty attempt at a personal ranking:

I think I could live with

1. Roughriders

2. Cavalry

3. Fighting Hawks

4. Thunderhawks

5. North Dakota
6. Nodaks
7. Force

8. Explorers

No thanks

9. Blaze

10. Fighting Green

11. Green Hawks

12. Pride

13. Spirit

14. North Stars

15. Sundogs

Who else wants to play? :)

I can live with:

Cavalry

Fighting Hawks

ThunderHawks

NoDaks

Force

Explorers

North Stars

I definitely DO NOT WANT

North Dakota

Blaze

Fighting Green

Pride

Spirit

SunDogs

Roughriders

Beats me why they keep leaving North Dakota on the list.   We know the NCAA won't allow it and at any rate, it's not good business to go down that road again.

My first quick and dirty attempt at a personal ranking:

I think I could live with

1. Roughriders

2. Cavalry

3. Fighting Hawks

4. Thunderhawks

5. North Dakota
6. Nodaks
7. Force

8. Explorers

No thanks

9. Blaze

10. Fighting Green

11. Green Hawks

12. Pride

13. Spirit

14. North Stars

15. Sundogs

Who else wants to play? :)

I think you summed it up pretty well.

When your rivals are urging message board people to vote often on online polls for Sundogs, you know what others think of that as a joke of a nickname. Will someone please put the brakes on this joke!

Spirit. Pride. and Sundogs.

Its like a running joke that needs to end.

• Upvote 1

Jim's list is solid, except it should say "no thanks" right after #2 and before #3.

"North Dakota" (no nickname) should not be on that list unless we have a signed letter from the NCAA saying no nickname meets the settlement agreement in their eyes. Nobody wants to have deal with this cluster again.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, JimDahl.  Just a little polishing here:

1. Roughriders - livable

2. Cavalry - livable

5. North Dakota - I get it, but think we're better off with selecting a nickname.  But I could live with this
6. Nodaks - actually don't mind this one
7. Force  (to me this is like an ugly date.  I might learn to love him/her over time, but first impression is hard to get past)

8. Explorers - meh, but survivable

No thanks (not acceptable)

9. Blaze

10. Fighting Green

11. Green Hawks

12. Pride

13. Spirit (this one is sort of like Force for me, but I think Force has a better personality.  I get where Karl's coming from, but I just don't see the high ceiling)

14. North Stars

15. Sundogs 

3. Fighting Hawks

4. Thunderhawks (sounds like a high school nickname)

After seeing this list and Karl's comments, and seeing decent nicknames like Bombers (which I had really taken a shine to) get dropped because of the supposed association with the Aerospace school (what?), I realize now I'm going to almost prepare myself for a disappointment.  Hold my breath, count to 20, and really work hard to try and change my perception of the final selection.  But some of these (Blaze) will just have to result in an uprising, because it's just not acceptable.  Embarrassing.

"North Dakota" (no nickname) should not be on that list unless we have a signed letter from the NCAA saying no nickname meets the settlement agreement in their eyes. Nobody wants to have deal with this cluster again.

You keep saying that Sundogs is the most divisive choice because of the group that endorsed it...getting worried yet or will that happen when Sundogs, Spirit, and Pride are the final three options?

You keep saying that Sundogs is the most divisive choice because of the group that endorsed it...getting worried yet or will that happen when Sundogs, Spirit, and Pride are the final three options?

We can pretty much assume at least one of those three will be one of the final three.

From the article dmksioux linked in the previous post:

Blaze

Cavalry

Explorers

Fighting Green

Fighting Hawks

Force

Green Hawks

Nodaks

North Dakota

North Stars

Pride

Roughriders

Spirit

Sundogs

Thunderhawks

1. North Dakota

2. North Stars

3. Green Hawks (not sure about this one, maybe Spirit, but that seems to be a full out copy of the Wild. Although many of those nicknames are simply copying from another team. Especially Rough Riders).

Edit: cavalry is growing on me. At least it's somewhat unique.

I smell a group that learned nothing from the experiences at Hofstra and Marquette.

I'm stunned that those folks who think "Arrows" and a phony "breed" of horses are too associated with Native American imagery or SOUND like Native American imagery seem to think "Spirit" is a good idea.

... Or thunder hawks.

The final fifteen names are every bit as lame as I thought they would be when this process started.

Pretty sad that when this started the SS community knew Force, Spirit, and Sundogs were the favorites to be (some of) the finalists....and here we are.

• Upvote 2

I'm stunned that those folks who think "Arrows" and a phony "breed" of horses are too associated with Native American imagery or SOUND like Native American imagery seem to think "Spirit" is a good idea.

That's because it's really not about what is truly "offensive".  Rather, it's about having more control of the process by being able to pick and choose which names related to NA culture they like (not offensive), and which names they don't like (offensive).

From the article dmksioux linked in the previous post:

Blaze

Cavalry

Explorers

Fighting Green

Fighting Hawks

Force

Green Hawks

Nodaks

North Dakota

North Stars

Pride

Roughriders

Spirit

Sundogs

Thunderhawks

1. North Dakota (I think no chance, but I hope it stays)

2. Nodaks

3. Roughriders

4. North Stars

5. Any "Hawks" variation. Preferably Thunderhawks

6. Explorers

7. Force (actually growing on me slightly)

8. The rest

T-74,987. Spirit, Pride

5,678,651,234,546. Sundogs

Gopher fans.

Anyone else still think Karl G is doing a bang-up job? His comment a few weeks earlier about the fan that sticks in his mind is the woman from Denver who wants an abstract nickname open to interpretation by the individual. Translation: he likes "Spirit."

Isn't that what got us here in the first place -- some people interpreting the Sioux nickname as hostile and abusive rather than the intended source of pride!