SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I attend the majority of games, like high school athletics, live in Grand Forks, grew up in the area, and still like the name Rough Riders for UND.  Now what?

Haha, you're the first that I have heard that from.

"A majority of natives did not get the name was honoring them" Wrong! The people behind this want all of us to believe that, and blame the natives. The minority of natives (from California, and certain tribe leaders) helped, that is helped cause this. Don't blame the Sioux people, they did not cause or even want this to happen.

You sir are in fire with good posts.

Stick tap to you!

Bombers is really starting to grow on me

A lot. It could be a war plane (shout out to the B-52s housed close by in the past) or it could refer to less specific things the way home runs are referred to as "bombs" (Bronx Bombers)or big hits or punches ("throwing bombs"), etc. Lots of good associations there. I actually really like it.

Bombers is really starting to grow on me

A lot. It could be a war plane (shout out to the B-52s housed close by in the past) or it could refer to less specific things the way home runs are referred to as "bombs" (Bronx Bombers)or big hits or punches ("throwing bombs"), etc. Lots of good associations there. I actually really like it.

Reminds me too much of baseball I guess.  But, I'll admit it is slightly better than getting an appendage chopped off with a rusty butter knife.

taz

So let me get this straight if UND was called the University of North Dakota Roughriders or whatever it would actually cause you to move to a different town? I'm sorry, but if that is true maybe it is time to find some new hobbies. Folks, it a nickname at a University, I have lived and breathed Fighting Sioux most of my live, but the day it starts getting to you this much is a little troubling. It's a nickname, its not life or death, it won't change your day to day lives, and it won't change much at UND or UND events other than what the team is called and some new traditions that develop over time.

Just a little perspective for those that are letting this get to them that much.

I agree, a true fan will cheer for UND no matter what nickname they are a false fan will pack up and cheer for the Gophers or Bison.

So let me get this straight if UND was called the University of North Dakota Roughriders or whatever it would actually cause you to move to a different town? I'm sorry, but if that is true maybe it is time to find some new hobbies. Folks, it a nickname at a University, I have lived and breathed Fighting Sioux most of my live, but the day it starts getting to you this much is a little troubling. It's a nickname, its not life or death, it won't change your day to day lives, and it won't change much at UND or UND events other than what the team is called and some new traditions that develop over time. 

Just a little perspective for those that are letting this get to them that much.

This is just a game in the big picture of things.  It is not an activity where peoples lives are going to change upon the announcement of the new name.  There isn't going to be people losing jobs that support families.  There isn't going to be a choice of do I eat today or pay this bill.  I agree that some people have an obsession with all things UND and that obsession for some is bordering on unhealthy.  In the end, life goes on.  

So let me get this straight if UND was called the University of North Dakota Roughriders or whatever it would actually cause you to move to a different town? I'm sorry, but if that is true maybe it is time to find some new hobbies. Folks, it a nickname at a University, I have lived and breathed Fighting Sioux most of my live, but the day it starts getting to you this much is a little troubling. It's a nickname, its not life or death, it won't change your day to day lives, and it won't change much at UND or UND events other than what the team is called and some new traditions that develop over time.

Thanks I needed that do u do prescriptions too