SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Oh yes, what could go wrong with that selection. Its perc.. oh wait.

Announcer: Here come your UND spirit!

Students: Lets Get Drunk!

We cant have a university with a nickname that openly supports a drinking culture... next!

http://webapp.und.edu/dept/our/uletter/?p=6928

"We call it North Dakota Spirit," said UND President Robert Kelley, "because as our state's flagship university we carry the spirit of North Dakota in all we do. This campaign will not only have a positive impact at UND, but the ripple effect will be felt throughout North Dakota through the work our students and faculty do to further economic and community development throughout the state.

Admittedly, I'm reading between the lines on some things...

And ill admit to an extremist approach, but it takes 1 nimrod to change the meaning of a name.

I'm with you on that as I called someone suggesting that "Arrows" was exclusive to Native American imagery, but I think this is different.

If you are on the committee and you said "yes" to Fighting Greens, Blizzard Dogs, Artic Blaze, Green Pride or Wings (just to select a few) you should look at yourself in the mirror and realize this process isn't for you and step aside.  To try and give any rational thought that any of these names could possibly be the new nickname at the university you were selected to represent is absurd.

All of this ^^^^^^.

I respectfully submit that if you are on the committee and also happen to be a frequent reader of this website, you need to take heed to this.  98% of the names allowed on the list do not belong there.  It's obvious which ones those are.

I understand this is a result of the horrendous "process" put in place by our pathetic leadership on this issue, but I'm actually embarrassed for some members on the committee whom I know, that have to endure having these options made available to them because some misinformed committee members who have apparently have no clue voted once for any of these said nickname options. 

• Upvote 1

... voted once for any of these said nickname options.

That is the crux of the situation - all it took is one vote to move those names to the next stage, and yet, others were eliminated immediately and didn't even have an opportunity to receive any votes.

This whole thing is a poorly designed process but the hope remains that the end result will not be something lame like Fighting Greens moves forward from here. (sounds like a salad making stomach noises to me)

All of this ^^^^^^.

I respectfully submit that if you are on the committee and also happen to be a frequent reader of this website, you need to take heed to this.  98% of the names allowed on the list do not belong there.  It's obvious which ones those are.

I understand this is a result of the horrendous "process" put in place by our pathetic leadership on this issue, but I'm actually embarrassed for some members on the committee whom I know, that have to endure having these options made available to them because some misinformed committee members who have apparently have no clue voted once for any of these said nickname options. 

Why wait until Monday morning…some people feel compelled to quarterback this thing at the end of the first quarter.

The committee hasn't even had a chance to discuss any of the merits of the candidates going forward.  Keep in mind the extremely low threshold thus far -- one vote was enough to advance.  And that was cold.  I would urge people to not put too much stock in the winnowing process.  At the very least, wait to see how things shake out:

* discussion

* further narrowing

[rinse, lather, repeat as necessary]

* establishment of voting protocol

* campaigning

* the vote

* receipt of the vote by the president

* presidential decision-making

* public announcement

* graphics and design process(es)

* introduction of logo(s)/mascot(s)

Give it a chance!

1 - Stay UND

2 - Stay UND

3 - North Stars.  I agree with Goon, this one is slowly growing on me as well.

I would be ok with staying UND/no nickname.  However, I don't believe it is a realistic option.

I don't get why there is so much support for the North Stars.  Minnesota is the North Star state...might as well go with flickertails if we want to take something for Minnesota.  The motto is on their state flag!

The North Star State

Perhaps the most common nickname for Minnesota, "The North Star State" evolved from the State Motto L'Etoile du Nord or "Star of the North." The State Motto appears on the Great Seal of Minnesota and the State Flag.

http://www.netstate.com/states/intro/mn_intro.htm

I would be ok with staying UND/no nickname. However, I don't believe it is a realistic option.

I don't get why there is so much support for the North Stars. Minnesota is the North Star state...might as well go with flickertails if we want to take something for Minnesota. The motto is on their state flag!

http://www.netstate.com/states/intro/mn_intro.htm

Just like it that's all. To me it sounds much better than all the other garbage nicknames on that listing.

So some committee members voted against all animal names (except Misspelled Woolly Mammoths) because they heard some people say that "they don't want an animal?"  I can see being against an individual animal name because perhaps it doesn't fit the image, but all animal names?  Did those ill-informed people consider every animal before making this statement?  Did they consider that there are some animals that might be native to the state, fearsome, easy to market, unique, and even covered in beautiful white fur?  

This process is killing me.  I want to go in there and grab those committee members by the scruff of the neck and force them to start using logic.

Just like it that's all. To me it sounds much better than all the other garbage nicknames on that listing.

Wasn't picking on you specifically. I've seen and spoke with others who also like North Stars. I like the idea of using a state nickname for the nickname of the flagship school of the state, thus the reason my top choice is Roughriders. ND is also known as the flickertail state and the Sioux state, maybe the third time is the charm...

• Upvote 2

So some committee members voted against all animal names (except Misspelled Woolly Mammoths) because they heard some people say that "they don't want an animal?"  I can see being against an individual animal name because perhaps it doesn't fit the image, but all animal names?  Did those ill-informed people consider every animal before making this statement?  Did they consider that there are some animals that might be native to the state, fearsome, easy to market, unique, and even covered in beautiful white fur?  

This process is killing me.  I want to go in there and grab those committee members by the scruff of the neck and force them to start using logic.

If logic was involved in any of this, would we be here.

Wasn't picking on you specifically. I've seen and spoke with others who also like North Stars. I like the idea of using a state nickname for the nickname of the flagship school of the state, thus the reason my top choice is Roughriders. ND is also known as the flickertail state and the Sioux state, maybe the third time is the charm...

I haven't ran across one person from GF (the majority of the fan base that actually attends the games) that likes the Rough Riders nickname. The reason is very obvious and has been mentioned over and over on this forum so I'm not going to mention it again.

• Upvote 1

I haven't ran across one person from GF (the majority of the fan base that actually attends the games) that likes the Rough Riders nickname. The reason is very obvious and has been mentioned over and over on this forum so I'm not going to mention it again.

Mention what again?