SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

The fact that there doesn't seem to be anyone on the committee with a marketing background or experience in collegiate licensing is more than a little troubling. With companies in the area like Lake Shirts(Blue 84), CI Sport, Coaches Choice(in full disclosure, my employer and a big NDSU supporter), and even S&S Promotions. One would think they could find someone like a Rick Fletcher from CI whose company works with collegiate licenses all over the country and would have valuable input into what works and what doesn't from a marketing and logo standpoint, or a Brad Ness from S&S who currently have the Green and White clothing line and I believe is a UND alum, or my brother who was a collegiate buyer for Scheels for 10+ years and has worked with colleges and licenses all over the country for Coaches Choice and is also a UND grad or Jason Loney from Scheels who is also a UND grad would make sense.

Well if we are going to end up with some nonsense name that doesn't relate to UND or North Dakota. Let's have some fun with it. To honor GOT's we could go with Twisted Little Monkey Demons or I am sure my kids would be all in on a name like University of North Dakota Ninja Turtles.

My thought on the subject, while I hate to see Sioux go, is to find a way to evolve elements of the current logo into the new. That said, I think the natural choice would be playing off of the feathers in the current logo and evolve that into a bird of some sort. Perhaps and eagle. Maybe researching the Sioux name for Eagle. I think there are ways to pay homage to the Sioux and keep it incorporated while changing it enough to staisfy the NCAA.

There is a story of Spotted Eagle and Black Crow that is kind of cool: http://pyramidmesa.com/wrsioux5.htm about a warrior being betrayed by a friend, left out on a ledge to die and was saved by eagles that helped him return to his tribe. In the end, he returns to the Eagles that saved him and fed them Bison meat and honor them.

A more detailed meaning of the eagle to Native American cultures is;

Eagle represents a state of grace that is reached through inner work, understanding and passing the initiation tests that result from reclaiming our personal power. Eagle Medicine is the Power of the Great Spirit. It is the spirit of tenacity. It is the gift of clear vision with which one can truly see the things one sees. It is the patience to wait for the appropriate moment. It is to live in balance with heaven and earth. Eagle reminds us of our connection with the Great Spirit. It tells us that the universe is giving us the opportunity to fly above our life's worldly levels, or above the shadow of past realities. Eagle teaches us to look above in order to touch Grandfather Sun with our heart, to love the Shadow as much as the Light. Eagle asks us to grant ourselves permission to be free in order to reach the joy that our heart desires.

My thought on the subject, while I hate to see Sioux go, is to find a way to evolve elements of the current logo into the new. That said, I think the natural choice would be playing off of the feathers in the current logo and evolve that into a bird of some sort. Perhaps and eagle. Maybe researching the Sioux name for Eagle. I think there are ways to pay homage to the Sioux and keep it incorporated while changing it enough to staisfy the NCAA.

My thought on the subject... screw anything closely related to NAs. They had their chance a few years back and the last thing this process needs is a liberal PC JA like Jeanotte having any say or comment whatsoever on the new nickname.

• Upvote 4

The fact that there doesn't seem to be anyone on the committee with a marketing background or experience in collegiate licensing is more than a little troubling. With companies in the area like Lake Shirts(Blue 84), CI Sport, Coaches Choice(in full disclosure, my employer and a big NDSU supporter), and even S&S Promotions. One would think they could find someone like a Rick Fletcher from CI whose company works with collegiate licenses all over the country and would have valuable input into what works and what doesn't from a marketing and logo standpoint, or a Brad Ness from S&S who currently have the Green and White clothing line and I believe is a UND alum, or my brother who was a collegiate buyer for Scheels for 10+ years and has worked with colleges and licenses all over the country for Coaches Choice and is also a UND grad or Jason Loney from Scheels who is also a UND grad would make sense.

one of the advisors/consultants to the committee has that bkd. Would guess that's why she was chosen

There is a story of Spotted Eagle and Black Crow that is kind of cool: http://pyramidmesa.com/wrsioux5.htm about a warrior being betrayed by a friend, left out on a ledge to die and was saved by eagles that helped him return to his tribe. In the end, he returns to the Eagles that saved him and fed them Bison meat and honor them.

I wondered if they would go a route like that but there is no one with NA background/known ties on the committee.

But for the daily plug, Im pretty sure wolves have some NA significance

one of the advisors/consultants to the committee has that bkd. Would guess that's why she was chosen

I see Kelly O'Keefe has a strong background in branding and it is great that he is a consultant but no one on the actual task force has any background in tis area. They didn't even think to pull someone from UND's marketing department. I remain skeptical.

I want a name and logo that won't become a laughingstock while realizing that this new name and logo will likely remain in the background for the next 30-40 years.

I wondered if they would go a route like that but there is no one with NA background/known ties on the committee.

But for the daily plug, Im pretty sure wolves have some NA significance

Incorrect. Randall Morin. Check.

That guy is awesome, I remember before he made it big, he was working at the Fargo Forum.

I remember him from when he wrote for the Dakota Student.

Good call. There's a number of Golden Eagles, Eagles, and even an alternate nickname War Eagle. Never a Bald Eagle.

Osprey?

http://www.smargon.net/nicknames/

Don't know why I didn't come up with that one a long time ago...I can't think of another college (and obviously pro) school/team in the country with that name: Bald Eagles!

I know I will have no say in the new nickname (still not sure if I want one), but I absolutely DO NOT want an animal.  I want something that describes the people of North Dakota, which is why I find "Warriors" or "Brave" the most appealing.  Brave Warriors?