SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I like these - some have been mentioned before.

Express - Some type of railroad theme

Voyageurs - Early Fur Traders or Space related theme

Pride - Lion theme

Raptors (Bird of Prey Type Raptor not Toronto Raptor) - Peregrine falcons have a nest on campus.

No particular order, but Express is my first choice.

No, no, no, not that "Pride of Lions" crap. :angry: Some people at G.F. Central High School were pushing that in the mid-1990's. Thank God Knights was chosen.

I have no problem with the others on your list, however. ;)

No, no, no, not that "Pride of Lions" crap. :angry: Some people at G.F. Central High School were pushing that in the mid-1990's. Thank God Knights was chosen.

I have no problem with the others on your list, however. ;)

The final 2 names was Knights and Pride. I thought Pride was stupid so I voted Knights.

• Upvote 1

Actually I thought of Kansas State first. But when people say can't have RoughRiders because of Red River, does that include all schools in the GGF area? No Wolves, Royals, Raiders, Green Wave. That's why I sorta like Jets (aerospace plus I am a Winnipeg Jets fan), and Oilers (drilling out west) with a cool logo like Houston not Edmonton.

If UND was located in Hillsboro, I don't think there would be any issue with the school also being called the Burros. Problem is though, you're dealing with quite the rivalry between GFC and RR and risk alienating about 1/2 of the town's population base should you decide to call the team "Rough Riders."

UND Fighting Aeros? Oh wait Aeros sounds like arrows. Bring on the PC police

I like the logo and the nickname, but the idea was more along the line of "Mustangs" like I suggested earlier. Fighting Sioux to Fighting Mustangs?

You're right if the name is "Aeros," but perhaps if some diversity training was given to students so they knew not to confuse "Aeros" with "arrows" (along with "could not care less" and "their," "they're," and "their"), it would work.

If UND was located in Hillsboro, I don't think there would be any issue with the school also being called the Burros. Problem is though, you're dealing with quite the rivalry between GFC and RR and risk alienating about 1/2 of the town's population base should you decide to call the team "Rough Riders."

As a GFC alumn it would be tough for me to say go Riders. Yuck!!

I like the logo and the nickname, but the idea was more along the line of "Mustangs" like I earlier suggested. Fighting Sioux to Fighting Mustangs?

You're right if the name is "Aeros," but perhaps if some diversity training was given to students so they knew not to confuse "Aeros" with "arrows" (along with "could not care less" and "their," "they're," and "their"), it would work.

Actually I like the name Aeros and that logo. But Mustangs would be a great name too with that logo.

Actually I like the name Aeros and that logo. But Mustangs would be a great name too with that logo.

Oh I do too...a lot. Have you seen the Aeros jerseys with the USA star on the shoulders? It's fabulous.

EDIT: I'm not talking about the WIld-icized version either.

Here's a good look at a couple of versions...change the blue to black in both, tinker with the green a bit, and you've got a sweet jersey

http://www.ebay.com/...K-/141258017317

http://www.ebay.com/...S-/111319558887

Oh I do too...a lot. Have you seen the Aeros jerseys with the USA star on the shoulders? It's fabulous.

EDIT: I'm not talking about the WIld-icized version either.

Here's a good look at a couple of versions...change the blue to black in both, tinker with the green a bit, and you've got a sweet jersey

http://www.ebay.com/...K-/141258017317

http://www.ebay.com/...S-/111319558887

Those look good.

The Nokota might me cool, they could be the Nokes for short. I would take the Roughriders too. I would prefer they just remain UND, with no name and no new logo but I doubt that will happen.

I just really hope the school doesn't do something stupid like the force or the spirit, etc.

Actually I thought of Kansas State first. But when people say can't have RoughRiders because of Red River, does that include all schools in the GGF area? No Wolves, Royals, Raiders, Green Wave. That's why I sorta like Jets (aerospace plus I am a Winnipeg Jets fan), and Oilers (drilling out west) with a cool logo like Houston not Edmonton.

I like the Oilers but LOVE the Jets as a possible nickname! I think the obvious association with our aero space program combined with the imagery of speed make the Jets a great choice...not to mention the originality of the name among UND's fellow NCAA peers. Just my opinion.