SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

So "countless Red River alumni" that went to UND and supported our teams will suddenly stop supporting them over this? Ties to your college alma mater are much more important to people than their high school alma mater. When Grand Forks Central first considered Knights as a possible nickname, people whined and complained that it just could not be used because Climax-Fisher used it and didn't want us to use it. Well, it was adopted a couple of years later, Climax-Fisher got over it and life went on. That is what would happen here as well. And this is all pure speculation anyway; we'll probably get Rainbows or Unicorns shoved down our throats if some people around here get their way.

I'm with you here. I've been in favor of Rough Riders from day one of this nickname fiasco. Your points are spot on...unfortunately especially your last sentence.

So "countless Red River alumni" that went to UND and supported our teams will suddenly stop supporting them over this? Ties to your college alma mater are much more important to people than their high school alma mater. And if I am wrong, so what? We don't need "supporters" like that. When Grand Forks Central first considered Knights as a possible nickname, people whined and complained that it just could not be used because Climax-Fisher used it and didn't want us to use it. Well, it was adopted a couple of years later, Climax-Fisher got over it and life went on. That is what would happen here as well. And this is all pure speculation anyway; we'll probably get Rainbows or Unicorns shoved down our throats if some people around here get their way.

PS: What's up with all the child welfare problems at Spirit Lake? I thought getting rid of the Sioux nickname and logo was supposed to solve all the problems on the reservations? :silly:

How would the GF Central supporters feel about cheering for the UND Rough Riders? Personally, I like the name and think it would be a great name for UND. However, I would agree with mksioux that any name that has a hint of controversy will be eliminated from the process very quickly.

How would the GF Central supporters feel about cheering for the UND Rough Riders? Personally, I like the name and think it would be a great name for UND. However, I would agree with mksioux that any name that has a hint of controversy will be eliminated from the process very quickly.

Who cares about GFCHS or GFRRHS and what they or their alumni think? If a good majority of kids that graduated from those high school were also alumni of UND, then it would hold some water, but most of UND alumni who care about the nickname issue could care less what those associated with those 2 local HS think. As to the bold comment...that will unfortunately be the case...so get ready to cheer for your "Mighty Aardvarks"!

Sorry but I would bet money they know who they want on this commitee and the names have already been chosen. Probably many of the same committee members who thought it was a good idea to go around to area businesses and ask those with Sioux in their name to change their name (it was suggested) and ask others to take down their Sioux banners and memorabilia.

I say no new nickname - the concept is antiquated, let's just be North Dakota.

I am would be willing to bet that you're going to be right, they probably have a list of people that they want on the committee. I am all for being on it. I have time.

Edited by Goon

There is no doubt about that. Central Alumni's favorite pasttime is bitching about/putting down/making fun of Red River. Its like they pass it down from generation to generation. The school has been around for damn near 50 years and they act like its the new upstart in the community.

I still prefer Fighting Norsemen (Norse for short). :) But that's just me.

My top two are Rough Riders and Fighting Norse...at least as of now

EDIT: Too bad we don't have a train bridge nearby...I've always been partial to the "Hi-Liners"! :)

Who cares about GFCHS or GFRRHS and what they or their alumni think? If a good majority of kids that graduated from those high school were also alumni of UND, then it would hold some water, but most of UND alumni who care about the nickname issue could care less what those associated with those 2 local HS think. As to the bold comment...that will unfortunately be the case...so get ready to cheer for your "Mighty Aardvarks"!

Your have a point, but how about all of the GF Businesses that sponsor UND events? Lot's of locals that give big dollars to the U. I don't know for sure if it would be an issue, but as I said, any "hint" of controversy over a proposed name and I believe the "committee" will eliminate it from consideration.

If you feel that strongly about it...get yourself on the committee when the time comes. Have you ever been on a committee for anything? It's not an easy process and I can guarantee that if and when this process begins it will be incredibly difficult. But of course it's so much easier just sit on your couch and complain about things...heck they haven't even gotten to that point yet and your preemptively complaining. Give me a break. :silly:

Thanks for the lecture, I am all for being on the committee and would and will volunteer my time, if I am given the opportunity. Time is not a problem. That being said, if UND alumni and students don’t want to be stuck with a horrible name, they’re going to have to be out front and proactive and on guard. That's not preemtively complaining, that being proactive.

Edited by Goon

"Norse" should not work under the NCAA's "RENO" rule ... the rule that caused the demise of the last moniker.

RENO -- no monikers relating to Race, Ethnicity, or National Origin.

Then again, they only seem to selectively enforce that rule.

"Norse" should not work under the NCAA's "RENO" rule ... the rule that caused the demise of the last moniker.

Do you really think the "real" Norse would complain? :)

There are a couple of schools using Norse - not that this rules out UND using it - Luther College in Iowa is one - some out in Oregon I believe.

There are a couple of schools using Norse - not that this rules out UND using it - Luther College in Iowa is one - some out in Oregon I believe.

Like you mentioned, my sister went to Luther College in Decora, IA and they used the name Norse, but I would hope we could come up with a better logo than this below.

392750_tn.jpg?cb=1336482328

Who's going to care? The committee will care. University officials will care. Certain stakeholders will be actively against that nickname and if there is opposition or controversy from a major stakeholder, the nickname doesn't have a prayer of being chosen. Just think for a second about the controversy it would cause in the local media. There would be editorials, letters to the editor, complaints, and talk radio would get a lot of mileage out of it. After all the nickname crap that has gone on over the last couple decades, do you really think the committee and the school are going to press forward and say "who gives a !@$!, let's move forward with another controversial nickname!"

I realize that no nickname, no matter what it is, will be immediately and universally accepted. But that's a far cry from choosing a nickname that will be openly controversial and one that will face opposition that has a lot more weight than "I don't like it" or "it's lame."

Go ahead and continue to believe that UND is going to adopt Red River's nickname. I realize I'm not going to change people's minds that believe Rough Rides is a viable choice. There are quite a few on this site that think it is. I was trying to inject a little bit of reality into the discussion. While it may be talked about as a possible choice, there is no way it will ever become the new nickname.

There is no doubt about that. Central Alumni's favorite pasttime is bitching about/putting down/making fun of Red River. Its like they pass it down from generation to generation. The school has been around for damn near 50 years and they act like its the new upstart in the community.

I am a Central Alum (Class of 1993) and I do not do crap like this.

Who's going to care? The committee will care. University officials will care. Certain stakeholders will be actively against that nickname and if there is opposition or controversy from a major stakeholder, the nickname doesn't have a prayer of being chosen. Just think for a second about the controversy it would cause in the local media. There would be editorials, letters to the editor, complaints, and talk radio would get a lot of mileage out of it. After all the nickname crap that has gone on over the last couple decades, do you really think the committee and the school are going to press forward and say "who gives a !@$!, let's move forward with another controversial nickname!"

I realize that no nickname, no matter what it is, will be immediately and universally accepted. But that's a far cry from choosing a nickname that will be openly controversial and one that will face opposition that has a lot more weight than "I don't like it" or "it's lame."

Go ahead and continue to believe that UND is going to adopt Red River's nickname. I realize I'm not going to change people's minds that believe Rough Rides is a viable choice. There are quite a few on this site that think it is. I was trying to inject a little bit of reality into the discussion. While it may be talked about as a possible choice, there is no way it will ever become the new nickname.

Give me your definition of controversial. My gut says it will be some PC BS but give it a try to humor me.

I'm in favor of Rough Riders. Doesn't mean it will happen but this high school debate is "lame".

In today's society, labeling anything as "controversial" gives a pass from having to deal with reality...it doesn't inject any sense of reality IMO. It's an enabling term to those in the minority to gain a PC advantage in their reasoning.

• Upvote 1

I know this was tongue in cheek but Who ever said getting rid of the name would solve all the problems on the reservations? There's a poor little one that was killed and sorry I don't think this was a very good analogy for the situation.

Really? You didn't hear this message when reading between the lines of the arguments of the anti-nickname cabal? The idea was that the nickname caused negative self-image among Native Americans and thus contributed to the social and economic problems on the reservations. And, sorry, but I am not apologizing for the comment. I had to listen to nickname oppponents throw around words like "racist" in describing the name, logo and (yes) even those of us that supported keeping the name. Now when their stupid, illogical theories are proven wrong over and over again, I have no problem calling them out on it. You reap what you sow. Unfortunately, the little girl that died was forced to reap what irresponsible adults sowed.

• Upvote 1

Does Roughnecks or Roughneckers resonate with anyone, playing on the state's oil and gas exploration history?

Others I've been kicking around in my head, include:

Wheatkings

Sodbusters

Homesteaders

Riverboaters

Plainsmen

Pride (a lion could be used as a mascot in this regard)

Rough Riders

Nakota

Norse

Badlanders

Remember, many of the nicknames of other universities that we accept as "ok" or "pretty cool," were probably regarded as "lame" at one time, too, but because we've grown up with them, they've somehow become accepted and interwoven in the fabric of said institution.

Rivalry aside, imagine if Minny had a different nickname, and it was us that chose the name "Gophers." To me, that name seems pretty lame on the surface, but because of the tradition and history that it carries in Minnesota and because generations there have grown up with it, it's a source of pride and you'd be hard pressed to find any of its fan base who's ashamed of it today.

Give me your definition of controversial. My gut says it will be some PC BS but give it a try to humor me.

I'm in favor of Rough Riders. Doesn't mean it will happen but this high school debate is "lame".

If you can't see that !@$! storm that would come by UND taking Red River's nickname, I'm not ever going to convince you. It's not like Red River is some small high school in a big state. This is North Dakota. There are only about 10 big high schools in the entire state. And this one sits right in the back yard of the University. Lots of people with no direct attachment to Red River will not like that the University stole the nickname of the local high school. You can say it's lame, and maybe it is, but enough people will care making it a non-viable option.

If UND chooses Rough Riders as its new nickname, I'll come back here and do whatever the virtual equivalent is of eating my hat.

At this point I am broken in how the mascot should be chosen. I relize a committee will likely take the choose down to about four, but then I don't know who should get a vote. On one side it could be said that he main hall of Money for sporting events comes from the fans of Grand Forks and students are only around four years. On the other side it could be said that the students attend the school so they get to choose along with the alumni.

In today's society, labeling anything as "controversial" gives a pass from having to deal with reality...it doesn't inject any sense of reality IMO. It's an enabling term to those in the minority to gain a PC advantage in their reasoning.

*addendum added.

If you can't see that !@$! storm that would come by UND taking Red River's nickname, I'm not ever going to convince you. It's not like Red River is some small high school in a big state. This is North Dakota. There are only about 10 big high schools in the entire state. And this one sits right in the back yard of the University. Lots of people with no direct attachment to Red River will not like that the University stole the nickname of the local high school. You can say it's lame, and maybe it is, but enough people will care making it a non-viable option.

If UND chooses Rough Riders as its new nickname, I'll come back here and do whatever the virtual equivalent is of eating my hat.

I just don't agree it should be automatically taken off the table because of your reasoning. Again I like it, as do others, but will Rough Riders stick...probably not.