SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

As for the "team full of criminals" I was disappointed with the petition crap. It was stupid, but only a misdemeanor. I got in more trouble than that when I was a senior in high school but my scholarship to a much bigger university than anything in the Dakota's wasn't pulled. That doesn't excuse the behavior by any means, and players were suspended depending on their role/involvement. Now, if you are going to try and talk about Travis Beck.... he did absolutely nothing other than defend himself and would have beaten the fleeing/resisting charge but would have had to go to trial and disrupt the season a bit so he pled guilty and moved on. Beck missed almost all of the summer workout as he was suspended for most of it and spent the time at home helping his dad farm. The rest of the team worked out every week except for the 4th of July week. So even though he didn't miss any game time he did miss a ton of valuable strength/training time....which is about the amount of punishment he deserved for what he did/admitted guilt of (resisting).

Well now Tjamz...your personal story was a great read for a Monday morning!! Gave me a belly laugh for a while. Moral of the story for me....when you think you've got it bad....someone always has it worse. Good luck with your kid, career and maybe the wife.

As for the "team full of criminals" I was disappointed with the petition crap. It was stupid, but only a misdemeanor. I got in more trouble than that when I was a senior in high school but my scholarship to a much bigger university than anything in the Dakota's wasn't pulled. That doesn't excuse the behavior by any means, and players were suspended depending on their role/involvement. Now, if you are going to try and talk about Travis Beck.... he did absolutely nothing other than defend himself and would have beaten the fleeing/resisting charge but would have had to go to trial and disrupt the season a bit so he pled guilty and moved on. Beck missed almost all of the summer workout as he was suspended for most of it and spent the time at home helping his dad farm. The rest of the team worked out every week except for the 4th of July week. So even though he didn't miss any game time he did miss a ton of valuable strength/training time....which is about the amount of punishment he deserved for what he did/admitted guilt of (resisting).

LOL! He is a senior, boy I hope he was OK coming into fall camp and wasn't too weak from missing "valuable" summer time.

What you fail to understand is how embarrassingly low NDSU's discipline standards are. This is his THIRD arrest/misdemeanor in his career and he has never missed a game. Nothing. Leevon Perry gets a DUI and misses ONE game. These days, most schools suspend players one game for missing class check or spray painting a sign, or getting a minor.

Tjamz,

I am glad it worked out in the end. That is some crazy, Springer type of stuff that happened to you. But, it seems like you came out the other side unscathed!

You removed my reply as well. ???

Bison 100, North Dakota 0. This rivalry shouldn't be resumed anytime soon.

Sorry about that... it was relevant only because it explained why hatred doesn't by itself mean a rivalry exists. I tried to spin it back on topic. Also, it was directly in relation to Haydukes "you certainly have a way with women, don't you" comment. So I REALLY think that his was far more personal than mine. Mine was an explanation of an earlier post, his was a direct personal attack of my character. I didn't post any of the 3rd parties names, nor will I. So, I am going to respectfully ask that Hayduke's post be removed as well.

Do you think it would be that close?

Cue one of the old 'Da Bears Superfans skits...

"Bison vs Sioux dis weekend, Paul, who ya got?"

"Uh, I got da Bison winnin' two hunnerd and thirty five ta seven."

"REALLY? Wow, 'dats quite a score ya got der...I'm not sure though...do ya tink da Sioux are really gonna get seven?"

Sorry about that... it was relevant only because it explained why hatred doesn't by itself mean a rivalry exists. I tried to spin it back on topic. Also, it was directly in relation to Haydukes "you certainly have a way with women, don't you" comment. So I REALLY think that his was far more personal than mine. Mine was an explanation of an earlier post, his was a direct personal attack of my character. I didn't post any of the 3rd parties names, nor will I. So, I am going to respectfully ask that Hayduke's post be removed as well.

I can't help myself...how was it obvious that #3 wasn't his? :lol:

LOL! He is a senior, boy I hope he was OK coming into fall camp and wasn't too weak from missing "valuable" summer time.

What you fail to understand is how embarrassingly low NDSU's discipline standards are. This is his THIRD arrest/misdemeanor in his career and he has never missed a game. Nothing. Leevon Perry gets a DUI and misses ONE game. These days, most schools suspend players one game for missing class check or spray painting a sign, or getting a minor.

He's a Junior. And yes, strength and conditioning are huge at any level. Bohl suspended him indefinitely as soon as he got the news. Once the facts came out and he was cleared of the worst of the charges AND after his plea of guilty to the resisting charge the suspension was lifted. It wasn't like he took off sprinting away from the police, he kinda hobbled away in handcuffs. Probably (not certainly) a combination of having a few drinks and getting hit in the head by a couple guys caused to poor judgement and/or confusion on his part (I had heard rumors he was concussed, but can't verify them).

As for the election fraud, well that was a really dumb thing that the players did. But the punishment (legal side of this argument) fit the crime and followed precedence set in 2008 for a similar case. As for team disciplinary action, I can see where others would see it as the team looking the other way. I can also see the point from the school: It didn't happen during the season, it wasn't an act of violence, it wasn't while representing the school or at a school event, etc...

Was their decision right? On Beck's absolutely without a doubt. On the election fraud I can honestly see both sides, but for the reasons listed above I understand the why of doing it the way they did (and I'd defend UND for doing the same thing).

But to call the whole team a bunch of criminals is kinda taking it to an extreme.

He's a Junior. And yes, strength and conditioning are huge at any level. Bohl suspended him indefinitely as soon as he got the news. Once the facts came out and he was cleared of the worst of the charges AND after his plea of guilty to the resisting charge the suspension was lifted. It wasn't like he took off sprinting away from the police, he kinda hobbled away in handcuffs. Probably (not certainly) a combination of having a few drinks and getting hit in the head by a couple guys caused to poor judgement and/or confusion on his part (I had heard rumors he was concussed, but can't verify them).

As for the election fraud, well that was a really dumb thing that the players did. But the punishment (legal side of this argument) fit the crime and followed precedence set in 2008 for a similar case. As for team disciplinary action, I can see where others would see it as the team looking the other way. I can also see the point from the school: It didn't happen during the season, it wasn't an act of violence, it wasn't while representing the school or at a school event, etc...

Was their decision right? On Beck's absolutely without a doubt. On the election fraud I can honestly see both sides, but for the reasons listed above I understand the why of doing it the way they did (and I'd defend UND for doing the same thing).

But to call the whole team a bunch of criminals is kinda taking it to an extreme.

Really? You justified it by saying it wasn't at an NDSU event? Name one arrest that has happened ever at any school that was "school or football related"? They are all in the community somewhere, on their own time. Wasn't an act of violence - really? LOL.

Once again, you and NDSU fans have no idea about real punishments that go on at other schools.

Goodness.

You certainly have a way with women, don't you?

Pathetic.. No wonder you support a team of criminals.

For anyone who wants to know why I refer to my ex-wife as I did and missed the earlier post before it got deleted feel free to PM me for the details or you can go to BV Football Section titled "SDSU-NDSU not a big deal" and look at post #71.

I'm hoping that this post doesn't get deleted as well as I feel it only fair that I get to tell my side of the story.

For anyone who wants to know why I refer to my ex-wife as I did and missed the earlier post before it got deleted feel free to PM me for the details or you can go to BV Football Section titled "SDSU-NDSU not a big deal" and look at post #71.

I'm hoping that this post doesn't get deleted as well as I feel it only fair that I get to tell my side of the story.

I wish they wouldn't have deleted it. Bad story for you but am glad you can look back at it and be alright. She sounds like a real peach!

Really? You justified it by saying it wasn't at an NDSU event? Name one arrest that has happened ever at any school that was "school or football related"? They are all in the community somewhere, on their own time. Wasn't an act of violence - really? LOL.

Once again, you and NDSU fans have no idea about real punishments that go on at other schools.

Learn to read. That was but ONE of the criteria I mentioned. There certainly could be more.

You mean like violating NCAA rules regarding being paid for autographs and receiving a 1/2 game suspension?

I actually agreed that I can see both sides of it (the NDSU elections deal), and wouldn't have been opposed to a suspension (Ojuri was suspended due to previous things on record) but ultimately it wasn't like anyone was put in danger, no one was injured, etc.. (and they weren't acting like a jackass while representing the school which BY ITSELF is enough reason to suspend someone and is not the only criteria that should constitute a suspension) In legal terms it's about on par with writing a $100 check that goes to court for NSF. Illegal, but not dangerous activity.

Really? Election fraud causing a measure to be kept off the ballot is the same as writing an NSF check? I beg to differ.

The State of North Dakota didn't seem to think it was the end of the world like some here seem to think it was.

So it is just a coincidence that law was changed because of how big of a joke it was?

They did change it. It is now the equivalent of writing a $500 NSF check in the eyes of the law.

The law also outlaws the organization who asked them to solicit signatures from setting a quota. Both are now Class C Felonies, but anyone with an understanding of the law must realize that you can't retroactively go back and recharge them with felonies. At the time of the case it was a Class A misdemeanor (and I was incorrect, you must write a $250 NSF check for that). I'm not making excuses for their behavior, I'm stating what the law was/said at the time of their charges (they were never arrested, just subpoenaed to appear). I have also said I would have been ok with a harsher penalty from the school. It didn't happen though and I can't go back and rewrite history. I think a 1 game suspension for all involved would have probably been fair (1/11 of the season).

They did change it. It is now the equivalent of writing a $500 NSF check in the eyes of the law.

The law also outlaws the organization who asked them to solicit signatures from setting a quota. Both are now Class C Felonies, but anyone with an understanding of the law must realize that you can't retroactively go back and recharge them with felonies. At the time of the case it was a Class A misdemeanor (and I was incorrect, you must write a $250 NSF check for that). I'm not making excuses for their behavior, I'm stating what the law was/said at the time of their charges (they were never arrested, just subpoenaed to appear). I have also said I would have been ok with a harsher penalty from the school. It didn't happen though and I can't go back and rewrite history. I think a 1 game suspension for all involved would have probably been fair (1/11 of the season).

JohnboyND7 said the State of ND didn't think it was that big of deal. I beg to differ with his assessment considering it spurred them to change the law.

I have been very much in favor of resuming the series against NDSU. But after these last two games, I'm glad the series hasn't resumed yet. The Montana schools are good, but they're not as good as NDSU. It's downright scary to think what NDSU would have been able to do to UND this year. I'd still like to see the series resume at some point, but not right now.

As for all the other garbage on this thread, all I can say is that I'd rather be talking about appropriate punishment for misdemeanors of a few UND players after two national championships than talking about blowout losses and blowing up the program and starting from scratch. The fact that a few NDSU players had run-ins with the law this off season does not make me feel better about the current state of UND football.

• Upvote 2