SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

This is an interesting comment coming from a fan of a program whose two biggest rivals both refuse to play them anymore. Ever consider the likelyhood that it's UND that's the problem not both NDSU and Minnesota?

Neither school has "refused" to play us anymore. The Gopher officials said they wouldn't schedule us because of the Sioux name issue. Gopher officials stated they will play us again. (Maybe they hadn't consulted with you first). NDSU officials have not said they won't play UND again. We will play again. Regular season game may not be until after Taylor leaves, or until they have a down year or 2, but they haven't refused to play UND in FB again. They just haven't gotten the contract they want. I would have taken advantage of the transition years to try and close the gap for the all time series. They are about 20 games behind and they maybe could have made up a couple of those in the past few years. Otherwise, we will meet in the playoffs one of these years.

Neither school has "refused" to play us anymore. The Gopher officials said they wouldn't schedule us because of the Sioux name issue. Gopher officials stated they will play us again. (Maybe they hadn't consulted with you first). NDSU officials have not said they won't play UND again. We will play again. Regular season game may not be until after Taylor leaves, or until they have a down year or 2, but they haven't refused to play UND in FB again. They just haven't gotten the contract they want. I would have taken advantage of the transition years to try and close the gap for the all time series. They are about 20 games behind and they maybe could have made up a couple of those in the past few years. Otherwise, we will meet in the playoffs one of these years.

Call it what you will, the effect is the same. Neither school is on your schedule in your primary sports. Maybe they will be in the future, maybe they won't.

This is an interesting comment coming from a fan of a program whose two biggest rivals both refuse to play them anymore. Ever consider the likelyhood that it's UND that's the problem not both NDSU and Minnesota?

Nope, but then again this is a fan site for UND fans - we wish you and other trolls would understand that and moooove on.

And UND has nothing to do with MSU bailing on the scheduled game.

Your comparison of a D2 UND not scheduling FU and MSU not scheduling FU is comical at best.

Again, I didn't compare UND's decision to turn down NDSU's offer of a 4-game home and home series to MSU's cancelling the 2013 game. I simply suggested that UND's past behavior (including turning down the 4 game series) indicates that they wouldn't be terribly concerned about the PR damage of cancelling a game with the Bison.

Coach pulled the plug on the game, allegedly. Doesn't scream chicken any louder than that.

It could scream.........that extra cash in the budget will do wonders for our program.

Bison Dan has been the only person that sounded like he knew how much the SMU contract was worth. Still waiting for him to respond with the numbers.

Again, I didn't compare UND's decision to turn down NDSU's offer of a 4-game home and home series to MSU's cancelling the 2013 game. I simply suggested that UND's past behavior (including turning down the 4 game series) indicates that they wouldn't be terribly concerned about the PR damage of cancelling a game with the Bison.

Stop digging man. The two scenarios aren't even remotely similar.

And it's not just because of a PR hit that UND wouldn't cancel a game with NDSU. UND actually wants the series to resume, and actually wants to play in Fargo, which is not something that can be said for many other programs. Moreover, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall UND ever cancelling the back end of a home-and-home with anyone, so it's not UND's style to back out of home-and-home agreements in general. My whole point is that UND is much more of a reliable scheduling partner than any other OOC FCS program NDSU (or SDSU or USD) might want to schedule on a home-and-home basis.

But it's a moot point anyway since everyone agrees the first game would be in Fargo. And, for what it's worth, I don't think NDSU would ever cancel the back end of a home-and-home with UND either.

For the record, I think what Montana State did was bush league. I've never been a fan of schools setting up home-and-home agreements just to back out of the return game. And that's especially true this close to the season.

Stop digging man. The two scenarios aren't even remotely similar.

And it's not just because of a PR hit that UND wouldn't cancel a game with NDSU. UND actually wants the series to resume, and actually wants to play in Fargo, which is not something that can be said for many other programs. Moreover, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall UND ever cancelling the back end of a home-and-home with anyone, so it's not UND's style to back out of home-and-home agreements in general. My whole point is that UND is much more of a reliable scheduling partner than any other OOC FCS program NDSU (or SDSU or USD) might want to schedule on a home-and-home basis.

But it's a moot point anyway since everyone agrees the first game would be in Fargo. And, for what it's worth, I don't think NDSU would ever cancel the back end of a home-and-home with UND either.

For the record, I think what Montana State did was bush league. I've never been a fan of schools setting up home-and-home agreements just to back out of the return game. And that's especially true this close to the season.

You're trying to change your original post. Here it is for reference:

One thing that is certain is that UND wouldn't do to NDSU what Georgia Southern, Montana, and Montana State did. It would be political armageddon if UND or NDSU ever bought out a home-and-home game with the other.

I simply noted that nothing in UND's history should lead a reasonable person to believe that they would not do to NDSU what GSU and MSU did, because of political fallout. That is, cancel the return game of a home and home series. Everything else you've added outside of your original post.

OOkkkayyyy?.................. :huh:

Care to cite an example of that then?

He's saying that by refusing to schedule NDSU after NDSU moved up to DI in 2003, UND has shown it is willing to take a PR hit when it comes to not playing NDSU. That is apparently the evidence UND would cancel the back-end of a home-and-home agreement with NDSU if given the chance.

OOkkkayyyy?.................. :huh:

Care to cite an example of that then?

Ummm, correct me if I'm wrong, but Gene Taylor sent a 4 year contract to Roger Thomas back in 2002, refusing to sign that contract, and thereby ending a 100-year rivalry, certainly would be exactly the sort of thing that could cause PR damage to the UND athletic department. If he had been concerned about PR damage, he most certainly would have signed the contract and played the games.

He's saying that by refusing to schedule NDSU after NDSU moved up to DI in 2003, UND has shown it is willing to take a PR hit when it comes to not playing NDSU. That is apparently the evidence UND would cancel the back-end of a home-and-home agreement with NDSU if given the chance.

I would change it to "could cancel", but you're essentially correct.

At least NDSU, their administration, their fans, and their media members are handling this well. :silly:

Get a grip. This is embarassing how big of a deal they are making this out to be. I think Kolpack and Dom are on the verge of tears - and Gene resorts to saying how he wants to get MSU in the dome and have their fans "welcome" them. Immediately moving to vengeance-related comments is a character flaw for an AD.

At least NDSU, their administration, their fans, and their media members are handling this well. :silly:

Get a grip. This is embarassing how big of a deal they are making this out to be. I think Kolpack and Dom are on the verge of tears - and Gene resorts to saying how he wants to get MSU in the dome and have their fans "welcome" them. Immediately resorting to vengeance-related comments is a character flaw for an AD.

It's not the disaster they're making it out to be, they're going to find another home game and they will probably sellout for it, plus they get to keep MSU's $100k...all will be ok once they settle down.

It could scream.........that extra cash in the budget will do wonders for our program.

Bison Dan has been the only person that sounded like he knew how much the SMU contract was worth. Still waiting for him to respond with the numbers.

I have no idea what the SMU contract is but I've said from day one that it's all about the playoffs and now it's being reported that Ash made the call. If it was all about money then the AD would be controlling things.

I have no idea what the SMU contract is but I've said from day one that it's all about the playoffs and now it's being reported that Ash made the call. If it was all about money then the AD would be controlling things.

Is that in print somewhere or just blogs?