SiouxSports.com Forum

Read This

Boogieman

Since the new Ralph opened, I have missed a grand total of six games. THE ONLY people I've seen weainging face paint and bonets are the natives that have performed pre-game ceremonies.

http://www.myfoxtwin...ict-feb-22-2011

From the story on Myfox9 (for those that didn't click on your link):

"It is mocking. It's the antics that go along with it," explained Mike Forcia. "They wear face paint and war bonnets. Some of those things are sacred to our people."

rolleyes.gif

If not shaving for a week or two is considered face-paint and a war bonnet then im guilty as charged. Otherwise, I have yet to see this at the Ralph and I also have missed very few games since it has opened.

One of my favorites is the claim that the "sieve" chant is actually a mockery of a native war-chant with the arm-pointing etc.

The false claims made by people really make me laugh sometimes.

This article is full of misinformation as Jody Ambroz obviously doesn't have the time to be a true journalist and put in some quality time and research into this piece. I give her a D- as it isn't nice to give failing grades. She did come up with a nice eye catching headline. Who cares about content anyway.

She states some NA's don't approve of the mascot....nothing more needs to be said of her effort.

I totally agree with your analysis. Again, the commonly held beliefs concerning the UND nickname and logo, with all the inaccuracies and revised histories, is the prevailing narrative in the local, regional and national media. No PC conspiracy, just shoddy journalism. :angry:

If anyone is interested here is her email:

jody.ambroz@foxtv.com

Please keep it appropriate, respectful, and classy. A journalist needs to hear both sides of the story and clearly whoever she was quoting about the warpaint is completely rediculous. She and that guy clearly have never been to a game before. No one would dare disrespect the Sioux name like that.

If anyone is interested here is her email:

jody.ambroz@foxtv.com

Please keep it appropriate, respectful, and classy. A journalist needs to hear both sides of the story and clearly whoever she was quoting about the warpaint is completely rediculous. She and that guy clearly have never been to a game before. No one would dare disrespect the Sioux name like that.

I should have stated a little more clearly when I started the thread that although hockey is obviously the sport I attend the most, I do go to 3-4 home football games every year, I don't go to basketball games, I attend UND baseball games when schedule permits, and during the years my sister-in-law played volleyball for UND, I caught quite a few of those matches. So I can't speak intelligently on all the goings on at all the sporting events. But the ones I have attended, I have never seen what this man is claiming.

I should have stated a little more clearly when I started the thread that although hockey is obviously the sport I attend the most, I do go to 3-4 home football games every year, I don't go to basketball games, I attend UND baseball games when schedule permits, and during the years my sister-in-law played volleyball for UND, I caught quite a few of those matches. So I can't speak intelligently on all the goings on at all the sporting events. But the ones I have attended, I have never seen what this man is claiming.

You'd have a great number of people in the same boat with you on this point.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I wasn't critizing you're post at all. You are exactly right, I was referring to the reporter and the person she quotes in the article. I said keep it respectful and classy as pertaining to any emails that we send to her, so it doesn't make us Sioux fans look like idiots.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I wasn't critizing you're post at all. You are exactly right, I was referring to the reporter and the person she quotes in the article. I said keep it respectful and classy as pertaining to any emails that we send to her, so it doesn't make us Sioux fans look like idiots.

No, that's my bad for doing a reply to your post. I understood what you were getting at clearly. I just wanted to emphasize that I understand that this thing isn't just about the hockey team.

Goon got into a pillow fight with a bunch of cute undergrads before the game, and then during warmups forgot to wipe off all the ketchup and mustard off his face from the hot dogs he ate...and someone thought he was wearing a war bonnet and face paint.

Closest thing I can think of anyways...?

Just the other weekend there was a middleaged gentleman walking around the Ralph wearing a headdress and bangin on a drum. He was up in section 310/311 and was banging on his stupid drum throughout the game. I was extremely surprised that the Ralph let him in the door with the headdress.

Just the other weekend there was a middleaged gentleman walking around the Ralph wearing a headdress and bangin on a drum. He was up in section 310/311 and was banging on his stupid drum throughout the game. I was extremely surprised that the Ralph let him in the door with the headdress.

I'm surprised, somewhat, that anybody would be that tone-deaf now considering the issues surrounding the name/logo.

Why isn't there a mascot?

Because North Dakota does respect the Sioux and truly honors their rich history. You won't find a student wearing a costume to imitate the name Sioux.

I have had many opportunities to watch as Sioux Indians participated in athletic events where they demonstrated several dances in years past. I wish that they were more commonplace today at events on and off campus. Truly a sight to see and a wonderful way to enlighten the public of the Sioux culture.

Maybe a plant from the otherside of the issue. MAYBE someone like RHHIT gave him a nose-bleed ticket and $50 to go to the game in order to make a story out of something that never exists!

I have been going to games since the late 70's and cannot remember anyone in a headdress and war-paint except for the tribal members that would occasionally have a dance ceremony on ice prior to the game. I wish we still had that!!!!!

Ugh... crap like that just hurts the cause and fuels the PC fires. Groan...

Because North Dakota does respect the Sioux and truly honors their rich history. You won't find a student wearing a costume to imitate the name Sioux.

I have had many opportunities to watch as Sioux Indians participated in athletic events where they demonstrated several dances in years past. I wish that they were more commonplace today at events on and off campus. Truly a sight to see and a wonderful way to enlighten the public of the Sioux culture.

Wasn't there UND sorority or frat party a few years ago with a "Cowboys & Indian" theme that caught some attention??

Yes I can verify that this did happen. I don't remember exactly what section it was in but you are very close to where it happened (I think it was 310). It was during the Saturday night Robert Morris game. I was sitting right next to the guy that was wearing the headdress but did not know him in any way. But from what I got was that it was a large group of a young Canadian hockey team that was visiting Grand Forks or somewhere in the area for a tournament. It looked like they might have been from Saskatchewan because the drum that they were using had Saskatchewan Rough Rider stickers on the outside.

Granted I don't think that gives the person a pass as to what they did but I don't think they had the complete history that this was not an appropriate way to dress at UND games. There are other schools that have similar monikers that he may have seen and thought it would work well at the game but was mistaken. I did see that he put it away very early in the first period and didn't take it out anymore after that point and even when some of the kids tried to wear it he took it away, so maybe he learned that this wasn't something that goes on.

This was the FIRST time in my entire life that I had seen anything like this person at a UND game. The only other poor remarks or actions I have heard in regards to the name have always come from opponent fans. I truly believe that every Sioux athlete, coach and fan holds the name in the utmost regard and it is only the people who have something against UND that say or do things to try and damage the name.

• Downvote 1