SiouxSports.com Forum

Read This

Boogieman

Yes I can verify that this did happen. I don't remember exactly what section it was in but you are very close to where it happened (I think it was 310). It was during the Saturday night Robert Morris game. I was sitting right next to the guy that was wearing the headdress but did not know him in any way. But from what I got was that it was a large group of a young Canadian hockey team that was visiting Grand Forks or somewhere in the area for a tournament. It looked like they might have been from Saskatchewan because the drum that they were using had Saskatchewan Rough Rider stickers on the outside.

Granted I don't think that gives the person a pass as to what they did but I don't think they had the complete history that this was not an appropriate way to dress at UND games. There are other schools that have similar monikers that he may have seen and thought it would work well at the game but was mistaken. I did see that he put it away very early in the first period and didn't take it out anymore after that point and even when some of the kids tried to wear it he took it away, so maybe he learned that this wasn't something that goes on.

This was the FIRST time in my entire life that I had seen anything like this person at a UND game. The only other poor remarks or actions I have heard in regards to the name have always come from opponent fans. I truly believe that every Sioux athlete, coach and fan holds the name in the utmost regard and it is only the people who have something against UND that say or do things to try and damage the name.

He should have been booted..I have been to halloween games where a student/fan was dressed as an Indian and UND/REA staff told him to go home and change.

He should have been booted..I have been to halloween games where a student/fan was dressed as an Indian and UND/REA staff told him to go home and change.

I agree with you to an extent. I believe that the REA as a private facility does have the authority to remove people from the premises that they feel will not be a good guest at the facility but at the same time I also think that the First Amendment of the Constitution gives every person the right to say and dress however they feel appropriate. I will say that when I saw him walking around the concourse I felt very offended that he was wearing that at the Ralph. I was hoping that he would have realized very quickly that this wasn't a common theme for fans and stopped wearing it more quickly. I can also tell you that he was shown on the cameras and the scoreboards so some of the camera people also didn't see a problem with it.

So an NA head logo accomplishes said "respect" you speak of, but a mascot is disrespectful? Somebody help me out here, I fail to see the difference.

A mascot does not provide respect nor honor the Sioux nation. However, the logo does and it's designer, Bennet Brien, UND grad in 1999 was asked to design a new logo.

"Brien says all aspects of the logo, from the profile of the face to the colors, mean something. "Like red was for the blood, feathers for bravery," said Brien."

North Dakota does respect the Sioux and I am proud of the fact of how many NA students have graduated or are currently enrolled at UND, which btw is one of the top universities in the country with NA enrollment.

I am also honored that a sound majority of Sioux of the Spirit Lake Tribe agree with me...67% voted in favor of keeping. The Standing Rock Tribe also has solid support but has been disenfanchised by its ruling council even though its members clearly wish to have a vote.

I hope this helps.

A mascot does not provide respect nor honor the Sioux nation. However, the logo does and it's designer, Bennet Brien, UND grad in 1999 was asked to design a new logo.

"Brien says all aspects of the logo, from the profile of the face to the colors, mean something. "Like red was for the blood, feathers for bravery," said Brien."

North Dakota does respect the Sioux and I am proud of the fact of how many NA students have graduated or are currently enrolled at UND, which btw is one of the top universities in the country with NA enrollment.

I am also honored that a sound majority of Sioux of the Spirit Lake Tribe agree with me...67% voted in favor of keeping. The Standing Rock Tribe also has solid support but has been disenfanchised by its ruling council even though its members clearly wish to have a vote.

I hope this helps.

"Indians in Medicine" and other programs with "incentives" or lower qualifications/academic scores certainly help. The question is, why do the naysayer NA's/Indians not recognize what UND does for them, instead of focusing on the mascot/nickname issue?? And, why does this not get brought up in the overall conversation about the mascot/logo issue?? Answer: Because people are too skeeered of the PC crowd. I, myself, call BS!!

Just the other weekend there was a middleaged gentleman walking around the Ralph wearing a headdress and bangin on a drum. He was up in section 310/311 and was banging on his stupid drum throughout the game. I was extremely surprised that the Ralph let him in the door with the headdress.

310 is the students section and 311 is the "visitors" section by the Ecolab Bar.

Ticketmaster Map

I would bet it was most likely someone trying to stir things up.

This is a very informative post +++. However, how come a person in the form of a mascot, dressed/painted the same exact way as the logo would be considered disrespectful?

Good question. let me answer with a question. What's the difference between a respectful representation and a mocking jacka$$?

There is a reason we don't have someone dressed up in a costume parading around the ice and stands with the cheerleaders. The University of North Dakota does not have a "mascot". We have a nickname, and we need to be respectful because we represent the state, and the Sioux nation.

This is a very informative post +++. However, how come a person in the form of a mascot, dressed/painted the same exact way as the logo would be considered disrespectful?

Does anyone have a problem with this?

245px-Gilbert_Stuart_Williamstown_Portrait_of_George_Washington.jpg

But do some folks (like me) have a problem with this (http://www.challengerblog.com/blog/1046071_dodge-challenger-world-cup-commercial-featuring-george-washington ) representation of General Washington?

There's your answer.

310 is the students section and 311 is the "visitors" section by the Ecolab Bar.

Ticketmaster Map

I would bet it was most likely someone trying to stir things up.

This would be true for most games but this happened during the Robert Morris game that took place when school wasn't in session. So in this case all of the seats were sold as reserved seats. Also any general admission tickets that are sold for the games are for any seat in the student section or at least they were in the past. That may have changed in the past couple of years though. And in case you were wondering I did have a post earlier in the thread describing the person that did come to the arena dressed in that manner.

Good example.

Maybe we could look at the other way too. Since a mascot is offensive, a picture of a mascot would be as well? I guess it doesn't seem that far fetched to me.

That's exactly why you don't have a mascot.

Instead you use a representative, controlled image created by an artist, like the painting of General Washington, or Mr. Brien's work. With the artwork you control the message.

Florida State is just asking for a problem with a guy in paint and buckskin on a war pony. All it'll take is that personifier to be photoed at the wrong place, at the wrong time. That's exactly why you don't have a mascot.

I hope this helps.

You left out the part where Ben wishes he had never created the new logo. Now everyone don't start jumping around saying how would you know that. Ben told me this himself and considering I have known him for 27 years I'll take him at his word.

You left out the part where Ben wishes he had never created the new logo. Now everyone don't start jumping around saying how would you know that. Ben told me this himself and considering I have known him for 27 years I'll take him at his word.

So, let's hear his reasoning for saying that. Let's get the entire context of the conversation. Without it, your words are pretty hollow.

So, let's hear his reasoning for saying that. Let's get the entire context of the conversation. Without it, your words are pretty hollow.

It is hollow only because you do not agree with the statement. He was sued and he knows it now. Claiming the logo honors the Dakota and Lakota rings by far more hollow. Since this arguement has only come up in the last couple of years.

Do you ever get tired of your own bullshi*?

Don't know the artist, but he could very well be upset or embarrassed by the unforeseen consequences and negativity brought upon by the anti-Fighting Sioux crowd.

To suggest he was sued (sic) (used?) is lame and a cop-out.

Man up and own it.

It was suppose to say used, my bad. So now the NA who all of you have been saying is such a great guy is now the bad guy because he believes he was used? Actually he is embarassed by the pro-logo people and not the anti-logo people.

i hope nobody is buying this. clearly a blatant lie.