SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

Izzo just tweeted that Ben Lauer is going to Minnesota. Seems like a lot of full-scholarship-type FCS prospects are going the FBS preferred walk-on route this year for some reason.

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=2&c=1150825&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fminnesota.scout.com%2f2%2f1150825.html

Posted on Scout now as well. Said Lauer did receive an offer but not sure if he'll attend next fall or take a gray-shirt.

Kill certainly is doing a much better job than Brew at getting the in-state talent whether it's full rides, gray-shirts or prefered walk-ons.

Is Ryan Cain somebody we were recruiting? Jer Garman tweeted "Proud to have a new teammate @RyanYoungCain"

He doesn't have a rivals or scout page, so he wasn't on any of our amateur lists. I did find a rivals article about him (from October), but I don't have a membership so I can't read it. Maybe someone who has a membership can let us in on what it says. Looking for some other articles, he appears to be a WR & DB. 6'0" 185 pounds.

http://highschool.ri...=&tid=&mid==

Also, they play Jer's old team on a yearly basis, so these two probably knew each other prior so that may have been a connection.

Reading articles he appeared to break his collarbone in preseason and his team thought he was going to miss the entire season. He worked with the trainer for the Hawkeyes and made it back. When he came back, his was .500, they went on something like a 5 or 6 game winning streak. Missing time could be the reason he was overlooked, I have no idea. There is also a story from either end of Dec. or January that talked about how his recruiting was picking up. It was another article that required a membership so I don't know by who. I'd imagine we're looking at him as corner or maybe safety??

I think the coaches have done a very nice job recruiting so far. I'd still like to us start to recruit bigger strong side outside lb's. I think that is one position of our 3-4 that would be nice to address moving forward in the Big Sky. Last year, if I remember correctly, the last recruiting weekend of the year was a big one for us. We brought in a lot of out of area kids. I'm guessing with the Badgers coming to town and the atmosphere at the Ralph, this again could be a good final weekend for visits.

I think the coaches have done a very nice job recruiting so far. I'd still like to us start to recruit bigger strong side outside lb's. I think that is one position of our 3-4 that would be nice to address moving forward in the Big Sky. Last year, if I remember correctly, the last recruiting weekend of the year was a big one for us. We brought in a lot of out of area kids. I'm guessing with the Badgers coming to town and the atmosphere at the Ralph, this again could be a good final weekend for visits.

I have heard UND people say things like this for years, but am curious about the real impact that would have on a football recruit. I can say personally that I wouldn't be impressed by the atmosphere of a different sport than the one I was being recruited to play.

Does bringing football recruits to hockey games have a major effect on the player's decision?

Edit: When I was on visits to UND the ralph was just being built, we spent more time looking at the weightroom and training facilities at the Ralph than the one we would actually be using. The smart recruits on the visits with me realized this was only to hide the lack in football facilities and it actually turned some of us off.

I have heard UND people say things like this for years, but am curious about the real impact that would have on a football recruit. I can say personally that I wouldn't be impressed by the atmosphere of a different sport than the one I was being recruited to play.

Does bringing football recruits to hockey games have a major effect on the player's decision?

Edit: When I was on visits to UND the ralph was just being built, we spent more time looking at the weightroom and training facilities at the Ralph than the one we would actually be using. The smart recruits on the visits with me realized this was only to hide the lack in football facilities and it actually turned some of us off.

Everyone has individual reasons for choosing a school. It sounds like you liked the BSA better than UND's facility and thank you for your interest in UND Football.

Check your own board and people saying how great it was having recruits at the ndsu vs. sdsu basketball game last night. Obviously the recruits know they aren't playing in the Ralph, but it is an event to bring the recruits to. As far was the weight room, UND doesn't share their football weightroom with anyone. It is unique in that sense. We have the same equipment as what ndsu has in the BSA. It may not be as large as the BSA but it doesn't have to be when it belongs to only one team, records on the wall, locker room and film rooms right in the same building. The teams who dominated the bison for years lifted there so I have no doubt the weights are just as heavy as what they are lifting in Fargo.

• Upvote 1

Everyone has individual reasons for choosing a school. It sounds like you liked the BSA better than UND's facility and thank you for your interest in UND Football.

Some schools have players taking visiting recruits to strip clubs I'd rather they see a world class facility like The Ralph.

So we got Mollberg and Bartels in this class, both good gets it appears but I am just wondering about everybody else. I just don't know how good these other guys are and most of the other guys are not found on Rivals, Scout, or ESPN not that that means anything. Just kind of nervous about this class with a lot taking walk-on opportunities instead of coming here.

So we got Mollberg and Bartels in this class, both good gets it appears but I am just wondering about everybody else. I just don't know how good these other guys are and most of the other guys are not found on Rivals, Scout, or ESPN not that that means anything. Just kind of nervous about this class with a lot taking walk-on opportunities instead of coming here.

I have the same feeling about some of these players as you do, but just in looking at the other Mussman recruiting classes im just going to trust that they are mostly all quality players with at the very least potential and work ethic.