SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ USD

FSSD

With the win the Sioux complete the first sweep of South Dakota in 20 years according to the television announcers, and with a mostly freshmen lineup. Final score 83 - 73.

Turns out the announcers were wrong. In the Herald yesterday it said they swept them in the regular season in 2003-2004. Still impressive though.

Why do we have more fans at women's games than men's games? Most places it's just the opposite. I was attending women's games before it was popular or commen (and have two daughters who play the game) so I'm delighted to see the support for the women, but honestly then men's game is faster paced and generally more exciting (not saying the women's isn't). Why would we be so different than most places? Will that change if the men consistently put a winner on the court?

Coaching. Attitude.

Almost every Sioux fan believes Roebuck bleeds Green. Roebuck is the one face of Sioux athletics that has stayed in the game for two decades. Fans relate to him and his intense loyalty to UND.

Jones on the hand, probably because of his personality, hasn't really endeared himself with the fan base. If he wins, he's gone. Men's basketball had basically a five year gap that more or less was a disgrace to it's tradition.

Lennon almost had an iconic quality about him as head coach that gave whoever followed a very difficult task. Even if Mussman has winning seasons the next couple of years, fans just don't sense the confidence and attitude that they want in that program.

UND hockey is at a stage where the program overshadows any coach. Granted, no one questions Hak bleeding green.

If one looks at women's BB attendance at NDSU, it has basically fallen off a cliff. Without Amy Ruley, NDSU women's BB lost it's identity, and hence now has few followers. The real test of a coach is did they leave a program legacy. With Travis Brewster as heir apparent, UND women's basketball tradition seems much more likely to survive a coaching transition.

• Upvote 1

Coaching. Attitude.

Almost every Sioux fan believes Roebuck bleeds Green. Roebuck is the one face of Sioux athletics that has stayed in the game for two decades. Fans relate to him and his intense loyalty to UND.

Jones on the hand, probably because of his personality, hasn't really endeared himself with the fan base. If he wins, he's gone. Men's basketball had basically a five year gap that more or less was a disgrace to it's tradition.

Lennon almost had an iconic quality about him as head coach that gave whoever followed a very difficult task. Even if Mussman has winning seasons the next couple of years, fans just don't sense the confidence and attitude that they want in that program.

UND hockey is at a stage where the program overshadows any coach. Granted, no one questions Hak bleeding green.

If one looks at women's BB attendance at NDSU, it has basically fallen off a cliff. Without Amy Ruley, NDSU women's BB lost it's identity, and hence now has few followers. The real test of a coach is did they leave a program legacy. With Travis Brewster as heir apparent, UND women's basketball tradition seems much more likely to survive a coaching transition.

Well said Star. ++++++

As I become reinspired for men's basketball could somebody inform me as to we have coming in next year, would they likely be redshirted and what can we expect from those players? Are we done recruiting for next year?

Josh Gentry and Shane Benton, both of whom I'm kind of assuming play the 2 or 3 position. Since there's also one more scholarship available, possibly a juco 4 may be brought in?

I think the most significant addition may be the return of Wilmer, if he can show more of the promise he showed in the NDSU game.

As I become reinspired for men's basketball could somebody inform me as to we have coming in next year, would they likely be redshirted and what can we expect from those players? Are we done recruiting for next year?

Speaking of becoming reinspired for mens basketball...

WDAY is supposed to be our radio affiliate for the FM area. However, on Saturday after broadcasting the womens game, the station broke off coverage and went to a replay of Dave Ramsey. Thus, the mens game was not broadcast in Fargo. Per the SID for mens basketball this was a WDAY programming decision.

I'm not privy to any UND/WDAY contracts, but its a bit frustrating.

Josh Gentry and Shane Benton, both of whom I'm kind of assuming play the 2 or 3 position. Since there's also one more scholarship available, possibly a juco 4 may be brought in?

I think the most significant addition may be the return of Wilmer, if he can show more of the promise he showed in the NDSU game.

I agree Gentry will probably play the 3 and Benton will play the 2. With the outstanding play of Huff at the 3 and Schuler at the 2 this will leave Goodman and Gentry also at the 3 and Haugen and Benton at the 2. We have Webb and Anderson at the point but as Im sure everyone has noticed we play Webb, Anderson and Schuler alot together so we have two 1's and a 2. Where does these additions leave Haugen and Goodman or could Gentry and Benton be red-shirted? Alot of quality guards and when you play only 8 or 9 deep, players are going to be left out. Another question that will be interesting to see how it unfolds is how many of the red shirt sophomore class will be returning? Right now only Allard is playing with injuries to Wilmer and Goodman. I was really impressed with Wilmers improvement but I dont think he could have done anything close to what Brekke has done. If Wilmers injury had not occured we may have not seen the full potential of Brekke. It will be a very interesting off season to say the least. But until then we have alot more games to win. Go Sioux

WDAY is supposed to be our radio affiliate for the FM area. However, on Saturday after broadcasting the womens game, the station broke off coverage and went to a replay of Dave Ramsey. Thus, the mens game was not broadcast in Fargo. Per the SID for mens basketball this was a WDAY programming decision.

Nice. rolleyes.gif

Culdn't agree more. I was amazed that arguably the biggest road game of the year was not aired by WDAY, especially after the women's game was broadcast. Having a few games on a radio station, like DAY, with expansive coverage certainly is great progress over past years, but the decision on this one was a real puzzler. I hope we'll see more extensive BB coverage via DAY in the future, especially after we start in the Big Sky.

Culdn't agree more. I was amazed that arguably the biggest road game of the year was not aired by WDAY, especially after the women's game was broadcast. Having a few games on a radio station, like DAY, with expansive coverage certainly is great progress over past years, but the decision on this one was a real puzzler. I hope we'll see more extensive BB coverage via DAY in the future, especially after we start in the Big Sky.

Makes a guy wanna bombard them with nasty emails.

• Upvote 1

Does anybody know what really happened on the lack of a men's broadcast Saturday. Did WDAY break a contract or what? Kind of a funny deal I have to admit.

Does anybody know what really happened on the lack of a men's broadcast Saturday. Did WDAY break a contract or what? Kind of a funny deal I have to admit.

Part of the agreement with WDAY is that in addition to broadcasting ALL Men's Hockey and Football games, they broadcast a "UND Game of the Week". Since the season started, they've broadcast a handful of volleyball, basketball, and I think maybe even a women's hockey game on a weekly basis. It is not part of their agreement to carry all basketball games or an entire double-header. My guess is that they only intended on broadcasting one of the basketball games last Saturday, and for whatever reason they decided to go with the women's game.

I think you are right on that I guess. I have a feeling the way things are right now there actually might of been more interest in the men's game. Oh well. If our men's team keeps going in the direction they are going the next time WDAY will choose the men's game to put on the air.

Hopefully as the team gets better there will be more games aired.

Hopefully as UND gets better they will not agree to such stupid terms.

The flagship U in the state and only some basketball games on the radio? Kidding right?

Total disgrace and WDAY should be boycotted.

What's next only some football games aired?

"First they came for the Communists, and I did not speak out --

Because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out --

Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out --

Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me -- and by that time there was no one left to speak out. "

German Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984)

All for a program replay. :angry:

Hopefully as UND gets better they will not agree to such stupid terms.

The flagship U in the state and only some basketball games on the radio? Kidding right?

Total disgrace and WDAY should be boycotted.

What's next only some football games aired?

All for a program replay. :angry:

No offense, but this is the first time in the programs history to my knowledge that UND Basketball of anykind has gotten on the airwaves on a Fargo signal. That is a huge step forward for our programs visibilty, and the UND athletic department along with WDAY and there is a station in Mahnomen as well should all be applauded for helping UND Basketball take steps to become more visible by reaching more listeners. We've always had every game on the Grand Forks station, and whether DAY does 1 4 or all games that is a step forward, and hopefully the entities will be encouraged here in this forum rather than discouraged in the future. It's been nice this year when I've been in the lakes area of Minnesota unable to get the GF signal but have been able to tune in with DAY. Again, to clarify we've always had a GF signal for all games