SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Omaha in Winnipeg - Jan. 7, 2012

MissSioux85

A great idea. Winnipeg is a fine city.

FYI, anyone with a D-Dub on the old driving record may as well plan to stand down on that trip right now.

A little birdie tells me that the Canadians do not allow D-Dubbers into their country. At least not very readlily.

True?

Correct, something comes up in your record, they'll turn you around; probably need a passport also.

A great idea. Winnipeg is a fine city.

FYI, anyone with a D-Dub on the old driving record may as well plan to stand down on that trip right now.

A little birdie tells me that the Canadians do not allow D-Dubbers into their country. At least not very readlily.

True?

I thought I heard a while back that even with a record, you can pay $x.xx and get through.

I thought I heard a while back that even with a record, you can pay $x.xx and get through.

I would call the Emerson POE and find out what you need to do to become admissible in Canada -> 204-373-2524

I believe if you have a DWI it's like 5 years before you can travel to Canada and you have to pay your American Fine in Canada as well...

Please Note: Anyone with a criminal record (including misdemeanors or Driving While Impaired (DWI)) may be barred from entering Canada and must obtain a special waiver well in advance of any planned travel. To determine whether you may be inadmissible and how to overcome this finding, please refer to the Canadian citizenship and immigration website.

As others have stated if you have a criminal conviction, and DWI applies, you may not be allowed in. There is an application process for a judgment that may allow you to cross the border anyway, but I don't know the specifics. Goon's information may be just what you need.

Fortunately, I've not been in that predicament.

And yes, you'll need a passport, or passport card.

Great!

All I ask is this:

You can play exhibition or nonconference games just about anywhere but...

PLEASE:

NO outdoor games

NO games in a venue where it doesn't belong (Ford Field is a great example) unless it's for the Frozen Four (and even then I wouldn't like where it is held).

There is a topic on jetsowner.com about the game in Winnipeg with UND.

One person wondered if Sioux hockey games were still on WDAZ in winnipeg cause the Sioux were his favorite hockey team outside of the NHL cause he always watch the Sioux as a kid.

Two others were critical. One said Winnipegers don't care about the NCAA and it won't sell. The other stated:

Why would a city that ignores its own university hockey team (the Bisons) get hot and bothered over a game involving university teams from another country?

It's not as if there's a huge difference in the level of hockey played at UND as opposed to the University of Manitoba.

Pretty sure we won't have the visiting crowd that we had at Engelstad, but I plan on taking a few Mav fans to the Great White North to see this one. The UND/UNO series has already had some pretty exciting games (even if we have been lucky). And hopefully in a couple of years UND fans will be able to enjoy an arena in Omaha not named Qwest Center.

It's not as if there's a huge difference in the level of hockey played at UND as opposed to the University of Manitoba.

What a joke, this guy doesn't know what the heck he is talking about. :angry: All he has to do is come on down to Grand Forks and get a ticket to one of the annual UND-Manitoba exhibition games we open every season with and he'll see there is a big, big difference between Canadian college hockey and American college hockey. Either he is ignorant about the subject (likely) or is one of those Major Junior sycophants who has a life-sized poster of Don Cherry hanging in his bedroom (possible).

In any event, I think this game will be well-attended for the simple fact that Canadians love their hockey and will go just to watch a game, even if it features two teams they know nothing about. I definitely plan on going to this and I hope we can fill the stands with our loyal, rabid followers. GO SIOUX!!!

There has a been a buzz about the UND-UNO game becoming the second half of a double header, with the first being a Manitoba conference game. This would definitely have me attending such an event (car was broken into last time I was downtown at the MTS Centre).

And to assuage your concerns, let me assure you...a doulbeheader will give you two more periods to sample some Canadian brew. Pace yourselves! :)

There has a been a buzz about the UND-UNO game becoming the second half of a double header, with the first being a Manitoba conference game. This would definitely have me attending such an event (car was broken into last time I was downtown at the MTS Centre).

And to assuage your concerns, let me assure you...a doulbeheader will give you two more periods to sample some Canadian brew. Pace yourselves! :)

A double-header would be cool and definitely worth the trip. The MTS Centre is nice and has a great restaurant attached.

NCAA Canadian Invasion Underway - The Pipeline Show

It was announced fairly recently that next season will see North Dakota and Nebraska-Omaha playing a weekend series in Winnipeg, Manitoba. This won't be an exhibition but a mid-season clash of WCHA opponents shortly after the World Junior Championship is completed in January 2012.

On the surface many people might be confused. Will people in Winnipeg care about this at all?

The answer is yes. There is a large following for the Fighting Sioux in Southern Manitoba and considering Grand Forks is a reasonable driving distance from Winnipeg it's reasonable to expect a number of cross border fans showing up. Not unlike how Canadians filled Ralph Engelstad back in 2005 for the World Junior Championship.

The game may be played outside of the country but it won't be outside of North Dakota's market and it will be a success. And it may be the first of many such NCAA games to be held in Canada.

Sources have indicated to me that programs like Cornell, RPI, Niagara and St. Lawrence are all potential candidates to follow suit because of their relatively close proximity to Canada.

On Tuesday's edition of The Pipeline Show I interviewed Paul Kelly, the Executive Director of College Hockey Inc., about this very topic. According to Kelly, this is an idea that has been talked about for a while now and that UND head coach Dave Hakstol, (who hails from Warburg, Alberta - about an hour SW of Edmonton), is eager to put his program on display in prime recruiting territories like Manitoba and Alberta.