SiouxSports.com Forum

Enrollment

GeauxSioux

It was fun reading the announcement by NDSU. It won't be long till NDSU will have enrollments announcements like. NDSU has the most agricultural students enrolled in the state or NDSU has the most enrolled students who live in apartments or . NDSU has the most students enrolled from certain coiunties in the state. NDSU just has a need to be ranked #1. UND just can't be ahead of them.

http://www.inforum.c...icle/id/371782/

There is Brescani towing the company line, much like Dan. Brescani just had to try to explain why they weren't the highest, he couldn't help himself. They are so chapped (pun intended) by the fact they aren't #1 anymore (which they were for like 5 years - the length of a transition) that they need to try and throw out barbs like that to make themselves feel better. 5 years in the last 125+.

Is there anything that Brescani doesn't bitch about?

Ha what a tool! Always an excuse. Just face it and be a good little brother. :lol:

Another part I love is how Brescani tries to put out the notion that they are turning away kids left and right. "Purposefully moderated rate of growth" is how he spins it. You can't turn them away if they don't apply - see freshman numbers between the two schools.

• Upvote 1

" ... students who want a traditional full-time college experience ... "

Yes, but how much longer will that be the collegiate education model.

I know a UND student who last year was taking N credits in the classroom in Grand Forks, plus another 3 credit UND class online.

Hey if you're happy with vitural students great because that's what you're getting.

And that new-fangled horseless carriage will never catch on either. That's basically the attitude you show toward online students. Turning away "vitural" students is basically turning away money.

You may or may not realize it, but the majority of online classes are actually taken by people in the community. A lot are taken by regular students who want a class that may not fit into their regular schedule. Others are taken by people in the community that have full time jobs and would have trouble going to a regular class during the day. In both cases the student is still spending their dollars in town, and are often paying higher fees to be able to take the class online. But you just keep telling yourself that you don't want any online students. UND will keep educating people using the methods that the students want to use. That's called good customer service.

So much for the two presidents working together on all issues and having a better relationship than before. He is so unbelievably paranoid about UND its sickening. Shouldn't be long before he is bitching about the funding again and using UND as their example.

You folks missed the best spin:

“This represents a purposefully moderated rate of growth,” President Dean Bresciani said in a written statement. “The size and makeup of the class is just what we hoped for.”

You wanted an incoming freshman class smaller than UND's? Uh, ... sure you did. :glare:

Closing thought:

I thought schools coming off championships saw large bumps in applications and incoming freshmen for the following one to three years.

Everyone is touchy on this subject. Must be a sore spot. Like I said if your happy with all the virual students great. :)

UND has gotten some pretty good national press in the past year for having some of the top online classes, so I think UND and most of us are pretty proud of the system. How has NDSU done in those rankings?

Everyone is touchy on this subject. Must be a sore spot. Like I said if your happy with all the virual students great. :)

If your talking about your President, Napoleon, then yes he is very touchy right now. Like a previous poster said, I am thrilled that UND's enrollment keeps going up, especially the huge freshman number.

You wanted an incoming freshman class smaller than UND's? Uh, ... sure you did. :glare:

He left out the part where they had no choice because Chapman's plan of increasing their enrollment, having the students come and then assuming they would get the needed buildings/facilities/etc built failed (the anti-Field of Dreams?). Now they say their infrastructure is stressed and wonder why?

I am impressed with the growth in the School of Engineering and Aerospace. I also like the consistant growth in graduate students. I think UND is seeing a healthy mix.

Online will continue to grow along with the progress in technology to deliver it.

Not that this really has anything to do with online education, but I am in the construction industry and I have seen a huge trend toward meetings online. Several of the projects in which I am involved are doing online coordination meetings (BIM) to ensure there aren't any field conflict between the different trades. When you have the GC in Nashville, the engineers in Atlanta for a Florida project, the online meetings work well. Online will grow.

Closing thought:

I thought schools coming off championships saw large bumps in applications and incoming freshmen for the following one to three years.

Didn't you hear.....a lot of students wearing NDSU shirts showed up at UND thinking they were at NDSU. Strange how that happens.

Former Civil Engineering student here who graduated last fall. I attended NDSU for my first year, and UND for my last 3. I initially transferred to UND solely because of the DEDP (Distance Engineering Degree Program) classes that were offered. It basically offers all engineering classes online, the lectures are taped and you watch them at your convenience. Doing this allowed me to take 12-15 credits on campus, as well as another 3-6 online which I did mostly on weekends. I did this so I could have a full class load, but still basically work full time. If I would've stayed at NDSU I could have never done this, scheduling 21 on-campus credits and working a full time job just wouldn't have been possible there. If I could've done it all over again, I would have never stepped foot at NDSU, I just liked everything about UND so much better. UND is a larger school, but I rarely had a class that was over 30 students, at NDSU I would have quite a few lectures of 100+, even one that was 400+, not very much fun, those are the kinds of classes that would have been better to take online.

• Upvote 3

Has anyone heard if UND has plans for more expansion? Eventually, with the increasing enrollment over the last few years, isn't the school going to need to build another dorm? I know that some company from Carolina is planning to build some more off campus student housing just north of the Alerus but you would think another dorm may be needed in the near future if there is continued growth from incoming freshman.