SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/moorhead-defenseman-sam-laurila-commits-to-und-hockey

"It's the place I picture myself for four years," Laurila said. "You can pretty much live at that rink. Plus, the development of NHL players they have there and the coaching staff. . . they're all great, too."

Laurila also made visits to Colorado College and Michigan State.

Laurila's college arrival date has yet to be decided.

Although he's entering his junior year, he's planning to accelerate his education and graduate at the end of the year, giving him an option to come in 2024 if he's ready. He also could go play a year of junior hockey in 2024-25.

One area of improvement he's targeting is his skating.

"Definitely, my first step," he said. "I want to keep adding to the offensive side of the game and get back to what I used to do."

Laurila said he visited UND in late July.

"It was good to see," Laurila said. "The guys were there working out. I think with the addition of the new assistant coach, it will be awesome, too."

UND is close to hiring former captain Dillon Simpson to work with the team's defensemen.

This maybe an embarrassing subject, since it doesn't really matter, but is there nobody at the University that could make cool looking commitment edits for players? I know the Football program puts together stuff for potential recruits. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, AJS said:

This maybe an embarrassing subject, since it doesn't really matter, but is there nobody at the University that could make cool looking commitment edits for players? I know the Football program puts together stuff for potential recruits. 

Anything works, as long as said edits don't say "North Dakota University" ;)

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, ChadR said:

We need to land a couple high-end forwards now.

This 100% is where we need to totally flip the script with our recruiting. The big recruiting battles we seem to have won over the years have been with D. We need to beat out Minny, Mich, BU etc. on some of these big-time forwards! I know Swanson and Boisvert but we need to start winning with Mooney, Potter etc! 

11 minutes ago, SpudsSioux said:

Sounds like it may be awhile before Mooney makes a decision. That may give UND a better chance though if they can get him to come for a game. Still feels like a long shot there. Potter decision will likely come earlier and probably a better chance we get him. 

Well hopefully you're correct. That was my feeling as well that the longer it takes Mooney to decide the better chance we have. I've just had this bad feeling that the Gophs get both though. 

3 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Well hopefully you're correct. That was my feeling as well that the longer it takes Mooney to decide the better chance we have. I've just had this bad feeling that the Gophs get both though. 

Me too, haha. It seems like we're turning a little corner with the NTDP guys though (I know it could just be that we've had a nice run of local guys make it lately), but nice to see the 18s with 2 and the 17's with one early. If UND could lock up Lindberg that would be a nice presence on the 17's with Lindberg and O'Neill committed early here and Kuehne likely a primary UND target the grade below.

Just now, I Ranger said:

I really do not think Potter is going to go to the Gophs. It was said weeks ago on Puck Preps that he was basically a BU lock. Obviously that could have changed. It seems like UND got involved after some of these other schools so maybe there’s something to that. 

3 hours ago, ChadR said:

We need to land a couple high-end forwards now.

Could not agree more - we need to be able to land these guys again.  I know we have some nice players coming in but it is impossible to overestimate the effect having a player like Brock Boeser had on our championship run.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, SpudsSioux said:

Mooney and Potter timelines don't match up unless something drastically changed. Gotta be Lindberg or Heil.

5 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

Would love to see Potter and/or Mooney.  My gut says it will be Lindberg. 

Lindberg would be an awesome get, for sure.
Would just love to see an elite forward recruit join that class.  Gotta win one of those battles again, eventually.

• Like 1