SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

46 minutes ago, MissSioux85 said:

We are so fortunate to see talent like this (I know--he's not here yet) play in our rink, even for those of us who have to watch most of the games on TV.   We did not win a banner with the DOT bunch, but it was a special privilege to be able watch them in action on a weekly basis.  And add to that the other high end college talent we get to see from other schools.   

Great day to be a hockey fan and an even better one to be a S . . . .Hawks fan. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, burd said:

We are so fortunate to see talent like this (I know--he's not here yet) play in our rink, even for those of us who have to watch most of the games on TV.   We did not win a banner with the DOT bunch, but it was a special privilege to be able watch them in action on a weekly basis.  And add to that the other high end college talent we get to see from other schools.   

Great day to be a hockey fan and an even better one to be a S . . . .Hawks fan. 

Geez, I hope Boeser stays and if Schmaltz did too........man.

Minnesota state tournament seedings came out today. Mark Senden's Wayzata team is the 3 seed and will play around 1:30 on Thursday against Burnsville. Hain, Mattson, and Grand Rapids got the #4 seed and will face #5 Bemidji in the nightcap Thursday. The game will probably start somewhere around 8:30 in what might be the best first round game in either class. 

10 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Minnesota state tournament seedings came out today. Mark Senden's Wayzata team is the 3 seed and will play around 1:30 on Thursday against Burnsville. Hain, Mattson, and Grand Rapids got the #4 seed and will face #5 Bemidji in the nightcap Thursday. The game will probably start somewhere around 8:30 in what might be the best first round game in either class. 

Aren't there a couple guys on Bemidji with college potential?

11 hours ago, tnt said:

Aren't there a couple guys on Bemidji with college potential?

I think so, I just watched them play Moorhead in the 8AA championship Wednesday and really liked a few of their guys. I think they may have 3-6 guys who have a chance to play D1 hockey but will have to play juniors first before they get an offer. I liked a couple SR defensemen Fitzgerald and Leitner and forward Johnson, JR forwards Tatro and Pollock, and Soph. defenseman Chase Hartje.  

23 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

I think so, I just watched them play Moorhead in the 8AA championship Wednesday and really liked a few of their guys. I think they may have 3-6 guys who have a chance to play D1 hockey but will have to play juniors first before they get an offer. I liked a couple SR defensemen Fitzgerald and Leitner and forward Johnson, JR forwards Tatro and Pollock, and Soph. defenseman Chase Hartje.  

I'll second that.  Of the few you mentioned, I think Leitner, Tatro, and Hartje can play big-time D1 hockey.  Tatro was rated a "C" skater by Central Scouting, but he needs to really work on his skating before he becomes that kind of prospect, IMO.  Hartje was a second round pick in last year's USHL draft by Des Moines, I expect that he will play there for two years (starting next year) and be ready to step in somewhere as a true freshman in two years.  Leitner, a senior defenseman, is arguably the best defenseman in the state this year (criminally underrated) and will make a college team very happy if they take a chance on him.  He is extremely smooth and poised with the puck, not flashy, but all-around player, two-way Dman (think LaDue in style of play).  I expect he will play at least one year of Junior's before going to college.

Just realized that this should probably be in the Prospective Recruits topic, but oh well.

Christian Evers went out early in the first period Saturday night in Fargo.  Awkward collision with a Force player - neither saw it coming - and both got shook up.  Evers however was helped to his feet to get off the ice.  The way they treated him, it looked like it could've been a collarbone.  He did not return.  Hope the kid is OK!

It was weird having Lincoln come in with 2 Sioux commits, while Fargo currently has none.

New recruit nick Jones

Story

former Ohio state buckeye then penticton rest year.

sure a lot of penticton recruits way higher than normal from one team alone. Jost, Bowen, poolman, bast, jones 

Per brad

UND lands Ohio State transfer Nicholas Jones from Penticton. He'll come to UND in '17 and have two years left.

penticton Twitter 

Vees are thrilled to announce that @n13jones has committed to @UNDmhockey for 17-18 season! #congrats #welldeserved

3 hours ago, AZSIOUX said:

New recruit nick Jones

Story

former Ohio state buckeye then penticton rest year.

sure a lot of penticton recruits way higher than normal from one team alone. Jost, Bowen, poolman, bast, jones 

Per brad

UND lands Ohio State transfer Nicholas Jones from Penticton. He'll come to UND in '17 and have two years left.

penticton Twitter 

Vees are thrilled to announce that @n13jones has committed to @UNDmhockey for 17-18 season! #congrats #welldeserved

Super interesting.  I check most Vees' boxscores and this kid fills the stat sheet.  The fact he is going back to Penticton next year and coming the year after is nice.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Super interesting.  I check most Vees' boxscores and this kid fills the stat sheet.  The fact he is going back to Penticton next year and coming the year after is nice.

It does sound like he was maybe rushed into Ohio State.  He was a young guy when he went there. I was actually looking at Penticton today and was very intrigued by him. A full year at Penticton on the pace he's at he could be helpful in 2017

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Yeah, noticed he was in the top 4 or 5 in points per game in the BCHL, behind guys like Jost and Conway.  Also love to see him described as "relentless".

Senden with Wayzta's first goal as they lead Burnsville 3-1 after two.

Sioux type goal... carried the puck through the zone, beating a d-man around the edge to the paint, runs over the goalie and scores.

I'm very much enjoying the fact that Pat O'Leary's best player is going to North Dakota. I hope that pisses him off :D

Love this kid's game. Heavy and fast. Very responsible in the dzone and blocks shots. Love it.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Senden with Wayzta's first goal as they lead Burnsville 3-1 after two.

Sioux type goal... carried the puck through the zone, beating a d-man around the edge to the paint, runs over the goalie and scores.

I'm very much enjoying the fact that Pat O'Leary's best player is going to North Dakota. I hope that pisses him off :D

Pat O'Leary thinks the world of Mark and is very happy that he's going to UND so hopefully that doesn't disappoint you too much. 

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Rick said:

Pat O'Leary thinks the world of Mark and is very happy that he's going to UND so hopefully that doesn't disappoint you too much. 

Not in the least bit since I was just playing around. Sorry if my comment got your panties in a bunch, bub.

7 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Mattson makes a great play to setup the game winner in OT for Grand Rapids.

Agreed. Got a lot on the pass right on the tape after using his body to fight off a defender. Good stuff.

Loved a lot of what I saw from our boys Senden, Mattson and Hain.

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Agreed. Got a lot on the pass right on the tape after using his body to fight off a defender. Good stuff.

Loved a lot of what I saw from our boys Senden, Mattson and Hain.

I thought hain was pretty dang good, worked really hard. Other than the game winning pass I didn't notice Mattson much at all.

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I thought hain was pretty dang good, worked really hard. Other than the game winning pass I didn't notice Mattson much at all.

Definitely a high compete level from Hain. Love that.

I noticed Mattson a couple times, particularly in space and on a nice backdoor pass that nearly lead to a goal, but I also noticed a bit of a coast sometimes on the back check and in the defensive zone. I was drooling over his size and the combo of his mobility and hands. Poolman will put 15 lbs of weight on that kid and make him an absolute beast.

10 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Definitely a high compete level from Hain. Love that.

I noticed Mattson a couple times, particularly in space and on a nice backdoor pass that nearly lead to a goal, but I also noticed a bit of a coast sometimes on the back check and in the defensive zone. I was drooling over his size and the combo of his mobility and hands. Poolman will put 15 lbs of weight on that kid and make him an absolute beast.

I hope so.  There was a lot of rumbling last night regarding his compete level.  However, it was only one game and he did make a nice play to win the game.  Sometime big lanky kids like that have a "lazy stride".  You're right, he'll hit the weights pretty hard here.  If he is a 3rd round (or later) draft pick I would like to see him play a full year in the USHL prior to coming here.  He needs to grow into his body a bit.  As a disclaimer, I've only seen him play twice.  However, I've came away with the same thoughts both games.  When you watch Mittelstadt (sp?) or Tufte play you see a whole different level of "game changer".