SiouxSports.com Forum

No More Blackhawks?

GeauxSioux

Yet another article with one sided reporting of the truth.

The author left out the fact that 70% of the Sioux people who have voted say they want the name.

The author can find a nice juicy anti-name quote from our favorite RHHT but can't seem to include a quote from anyone either for the name or saying anything that makes sense, unlike RHHT talking about the calvary and crazy things like that???

It would have been way to hard for the author to even mention how the Sioux name is presented at UND and the Ralph.

That would have been surely a sided position with bias. huh???

70% of the Sioux people who have voted support the nickname.

Ok, but how many total people in the Sioux nation (in the entirety of North America) agree that it's acceptable for the University of North Dakota to use "Fightiong Sioux" as the nickname?

Certainly less than 70%

Ok, but how many total people in the Sioux nation (in the entirety of North America) agree that it's acceptable for the University of North Dakota to use "Fightiong Sioux" as the nickname?

Certainly less than 70%

Those that don't vote have no voice. Pretty simple truism.

Certainly less than 70%

MPLS, we know you are big on citing sources. Most people here are open-minded enough to change their minds based on facts.

Sic cited some research that concluded the number is 83%. You admit to 70% of the voted, but seem to imply it would be much lower if everyone had voted. Could you direct us to the research that says the opinions of the non-voters would be significantly different?

"So an image now banned at a major NCAA hockey school is still happily in use in the NHL."

Technically the Blackhawk image is NOT banned at UND. UND would not be able to use the current logo NOT the Blackhawk logo. What a dumbass!! No one said anything when the Hawks were losing all the time now that they are in the Stanley Cup the PC losers have to start this crap again. Will they change their name....Washington said no, Cleveland said no, Atlanta said no, Chicago will laugh in their face and say....HELL NO!!!!

"So an image now banned at a major NCAA hockey school is still happily in use in the NHL."

Technically the Blackhawk image is NOT banned at UND. UND would not be able to use the current logo NOT the Blackhawk logo. What a dumbass!! No one said anything when the Hawks were losing all the time now that they are in the Stanley Cup the PC losers have to start this crap again. Will they change their name....Washington said no, Cleveland said no, Atlanta said no, Chicago will laugh in their face and say....HELL NO!!!!

Exactly! Only when it's in the spotlight is it a problem. Remember the uproar over the tomahawk Chop? Wasn't a big deal all season but during the world series, it's awful.

To preempt MPLS reply to this, I'd rather have a successful athletic Dept. than the name, but it is stupid that one leads to the fall of the other.

Certainly less than 70%

You are like the singular personification/poster-child for the one sided media spin that continually gets spewed regarding UND-Native Americans-and the name.

Even if you we correct about about what you spewed in your post regarding the "entire percentage of all Sioux people" that would actually support the name, that was not the issue about which I posted.

My point was and is that in the preponderance of media written about UND and the Sioux name is one sided in that it includes quotes and facts that support the anti-name view and leaves out facts(like votes) and quotes that support the pro-nickname side.

My perception is that about 50% of the articles I have read leave out the Spirit lake vote, about 90% of the articles favor anti-name quotes, about 90% of the articles lead with the anti-name view point and associated quotes while placing pro-name view points with lesser or no quotes later in the article (back paging them), about 99% of articles do not cite the Sports Illustrated poll mentioned by other posters above or the Fargo Forum poll which equally reflected overwhelming support of the name.

PLEASE NOTE: I qualified the percentages outline in the paragraph prior to this one as "my perceptions".

I reiterate that my post before this one was to point out that the article written about the BlackHawks was one sided in its quotes and presentation of facts and the main point of this post is that your response to it was moronic.

3 tenets of persuasion: ethos, logos, and pathos. Frustration ensues when an argument based on one of those tenets is countered using another.

My goal would be to have a highly (UND-hopefully)educated member of the Sioux nation make an empassioned speech about the continued erasure of the native american; his land, his culture, and now even his image and memory. Embed within the context indisputable facts, and you should be able to convince an open-minded, intelligent person.

As always, some people have opinions that can not be changed in the face of passion and/or fact. These people live sorry, closed minded lives. The rest of us can make up our minds based on truth and integrity.

A blog response to Mr. Cox's piece.... Is the Blackhawks Logo Offensive?

I'll try to keep this quick, as it is a topic that has been beaten worse than a pinata in Mexico City on Cinco de Mayo. However, when a journalist throws something out into the world for mass consumption, they need to get the facts straight, and they need to be held accountable.

Until recently I didn't know that Cinco de Mayo is not Mexican Independence Day nor that most Mexicans don't celebrate it. It is celebrated in Puebla and is the date of a great battle, but I digress.

Certainly less than 70%

Actually, it is probably well over 70%.

A blog response to Mr. Cox's piece.... Is the Blackhawks Logo Offensive?

Until recently I didn't know that Cinco de Mayo is not Mexican Independence Day nor that most Mexicans don't celebrate it. It is celebrated in Puebla and is the date of a great battle, but I digress.

Like St. Patrick's Day, Cinco de Mayo is an American drinking holiday. :glare: