SiouxSports.com Forum

Tough Loss, But another great season

siouxnami

Congrats to the hopefully 2, maybe 3 seniors. Tough loss, Yale played really well and deserved the win. I think that big picture we will look back at this team as a team that really overachieved. 25 wins with the youngest team in the WCHA and without your best player is a point of pride. Some programs would kill for a WCHA Final Five Championship.

Sioux Yeah Yeah

I have to agree. I'm certainly disappointed with the loss since UND didn't play Sioux hockey until the 3rd period but UND really exceeded my overall expectations for the season.

It's been 4 great years of having VandeVelde, Zajac, and Genoway(but if he'd like to stay that'd be great too).

it is too hard to come up with something to say right now, so I will just post what I put on facebook.

"The season did not go as hoped, but we did better than people thought we would at the beginnng of the season. Thank you for 4 years, Darcy and Chris....Chay, please come back because we did not get to say good bye the right way. I know that you guys are mad at yourselves right now, but know just one thing. Win or lose, you are still my boys forever. Fighting Sioux Family Forever!"

This loss bites... they didn't seem to want it as much as Yale, who played well. Good for them and good luck tomorrow...

As for the Sioux, all in all it was a good season. We all expect a national tonight every year but but can't seem to quite grasp it (especially these last 2 years). But... we are always entertained every year and always in the hunt.

Looking forward to next fall already!

Go Sioux!!

With only 2 seniors that played most of the year this team did better than I thought they would. It's always hard to end a season and every team but one will finish their season with a win.

We always want more and so do I, but then I think of the teams that turned in their gear weeks ago.

I can't wait till October. In fact I booked my Maine ticket the other night using frequent flyer miles. Can't believe only 1 WCHA team will make it to the Frozen 4.

Thanks, Fighting Sioux, for another great year of Fighting Sioux hockey. I won't ever forget how you persevered through adversity and turned the season around when not many thought you had a prayer. I wish the ending hadn't come so soon but I know most of you will back again in October to continue the tradition. To the seniors, Darcy, Vandy and Chay, all the best. Thanks for the memories. We won't forget you.

What a whirlwind ride this season has been:

Hot out of the gate

Genoway goes down, every week a waiting game for his return

Reffing debacle at Denver

Blown 2 goal leads

0-infinity on the PP

Return of Frattin

Resurgence of the offense

White hot down the stretch

Pulling home ice out of a hat

Marching to a Final Five Championship the hard way

Losing a heartbreaker in the regional semis

Despite how bad I feel right now, I realize that this team...this really young team who had to gut it out after their captain was taken out for the year...has played their hearts out and has given everything they had to their teammates, their school, and us...their fans.

Thanks for a great year guys, and even though I'm not a 'wait until next year' guy because it sounds like a cop-out...to the rest of the WCHA, whether Chay comes back or not: Fear us next year.

Well put jodcon!! Amen to that!!

Great job players, coaches, staff - what a ride you all took us for! I was proud and happy to yell my lungs out every at home game, on the couch when away and at the FF for you all... it was awesome to celebrate the victories and keep the chin up during the not so fun times with you all season. Thanks for doing what you do - we're all very proud of you as athletes, a team, and reps of UND. GO SIOUX!!

It was a fun season watching you! I had a great time at the John(even though we only got 1 Point). It was great watching all of the home games on FCS this season(Please renew the contract so we in the outstate can watch the home games. St Cloud was a blast, even though the St Clown fan next to me got mad, but what do you expect when the score is 4-0! Frozen 5 was fun , I got to finally see us win a frozen 5! Looking forwards to being in Bemidji next October to see the SIOUX open up the Arena there! But please make it to the X nextr year and win the NCAA Championship! THANKX ICE ARENA MAN

Thanks for the wonderful memories this year! This team has shown a lot of heart, teamwork and appreciation of the tradition of the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux hockey program. Thank you, I look forward to a great season next year!!!

Get a grip.

With how young this team was combined with the Genoway injury very early, this season could have turned out like the 2001-2002 season.

I actually think that this was one of Hakstol's best coaching seasons.

For them to come together like they did, get that streak going at the end of the season and win the Broadmoor, that was great to see.

Would I have liked to see them go further? For sure, but it didn't work out.

That's hockey sometimes.

I think we had a great season considering the age of the players. Hak did a great job of getting them going late in the year.

I don't see any of these underclassmen leaving early this year. Having said that; I can't wait until next season!!!!! Lots more experiance.

GO SIOUX

Great season and like gasboy told me even before the game today, for those at the Final Five we witnessed quite a treat. This team started strong, lost one of the top few players in college hockey, sagged, rebounded and finished very strong, ended MN's season and won some hardware.

It was a disappointing finish today but they had a good season for a fairly young team. I for one appreciate the season and the job these coaches did.

Thank you for another terrific season North Dakota players,coaches, and fans. Despite yesterday's downer loss (and the game not being televised on Fox College stations here in New Jersey), the last half of the season has been quite a roll. Enjoyed watching the team in person at Cornell. Thanks again for FSSN and Fox televising so many games to those outside of the Upper Midwest area. Looking forward to the schedule being released to see if I can make it to my first game in Grand Forks. Most importantly, best of long-range health for Chay Genoway.

GO FIGHTING SIOUX !!!

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS !!!

Thank you for another terrific season North Dakota players,coaches, and fans. Despite yesterday's downer loss (and the game not being televised on Fox College stations here in New Jersey), the last half of the season has been quite a roll. Enjoyed watching the team in person at Cornell. Thanks again for FSSN and Fox televising so many games to those outside of the Upper Midwest area. Looking forward to the schedule being released to see if I can make it to my first game in Grand Forks. Most importantly, best of long-range health for Chay Genoway.

GO FIGHTING SIOUX !!!

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS !!!

A tough loss but still a proud Sioux fan here. Hats off to the Seniors and we will miss you. Wishing you all the best in what the future holds for you.

I would like to personally thank the Sioux coaches and players not only for an outstanding season, but for their actions during the Final Five. The coaches and players all took the time to sign my son's Sioux jersey - the one that has been proudly worn by him at almost every mites practice he has at the Bloomington Ice Gardens. Several players personally took the time for a knuckle-bump, to personally talk with him, as well as pose for a picture with him. I appreciate all of your efforts, not only on the ice, but for giving an 8 year old kid the biggest smile ever. Winning the Final Five was the icing on the cake for a wonderful weekend in St Paul that won't soon be forgotten. He had to dry a tear or two after the Yale game, but I told him that we need to remember the positive things on the season and get ready to cheer loud again next fall.

Thank you, Sioux coaches and players. We, the fans, are proud of you all.

For a very young team I think they did just awesome this year. No, they didn't get 'The Golden Ticket', but they overcame adversity and played well in the end, just not well enough. I'm sad to see the Seniors leave and I hope Chay comes back. :lol:

Here's a toast to The Fighting Sioux of '09-10!

Fight on Fighting Sioux!!!!! :(