SiouxSports.com Forum

Oil Booms in North Dakota

star2city

One issue that isn't talked about much in the Bakken is that ethane is not recovered in the natural gas liquids stream, but is instead used as natural gas and burned with the methane (Hess does recover ethane and pipes it to Alberta, but the other midstream operations don't, including OneOK, which is by far the largest processor of natural gas). This is a wasted resource because ethane has value in petrochemicals. But Houston has such a glut of ethane that OneOK can't afford to pipe it there without losing money. So the ethane is send off as a gas with methane and burned, instead of processed as a refrigerated liquid. The oil companies and mineral rights owners don't get the value of their ethane.

There's rumors that some chemical companies will locate in ND, convert the ethane into ethylene, and make it into polyethene and other chemicals. OneOK would have to first supply straight ethane from their five plants (and they certainly will build more nat gas processing plants in ND). If pure ethane was available in ND in sufficient quantity, billions of dollars in chemical plants, and tens of thousands of jobs would be created here. There are plenty of Asian and European companies that are begging for cheap ethane. The only problem is ND is landlocked, but solids like polyethylene rolls and pellets could be made here much cheaper than Europe or the far east even with transportation costs. This article said European companies will announce $72 billion in new chemical plants in NA because of cheap feedstocks (ethane).

http://www.bloomberg...-chemicals.html

http://www.fool.com/...e-you-rich.aspx

Even with the big fire in Williston today, this article is suggesting that Williston will have the first Whole Foods and Trader Joes in the state (as well as a few microbreweries.) as large retail companies want a piece of the pie there.

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/the-shale-surge-80-billion-economic-boom-is-reshaping-north-american-cities-nyse-jll-1931432.htm

Even with the big fire in Williston today, this article is suggesting that Williston will have the first Whole Foods and Trader Joes in the state (as well as a few microbreweries.) as large retail companies want a piece of the pie there.

http://www.marketwir...jll-1931432.htm

Williston is not a Whole Foods kind of town. I doubt many there would care about organic foods. I noticed you skipped over the Swiss 500 million development project headed by a NDSU grad. Doesn't fit your narrative?

Williston is not a Whole Foods kind of town. I doubt many there would care about organic foods. I noticed you skipped over the Swiss 500 million development project headed by a NDSU grad. Doesn't fit your narrative?

From the linked article, one would ascertain that the Stropiq project is being run by an NDSU grad how exactly?

Where in the article is the words NDSU printed??

People in Williston will buy groceries where ever is convenient, easy and items are available.

People in Williston will buy groceries where ever is convenient, easy and items are available.

I thought the biggest issue in Williston was finding a parking spot at a grocery store that actually had things on the shelves.

I'm sort of surprised that Whole Foods and Trader Joe's aren't looking at Bismarck/Mandan. A lot of folks go there for supplies.

I thought the biggest issue in Williston was finding a parking spot at a grocery store that actually had things on the shelves.

I'm sort of surprised that Whole Foods and Trader Joe's aren't looking at Bismarck/Mandan. A lot of folks go there for supplies.

I live in Williston; it's not like it was when I moved 2 years ago and it was common that all the milk had already been bought. It'd just be nice to have more choice. I don't really care if my food is organic or not, but there'd be people who'd go. There was rumors that Cashwise (whose building all over the west) was going to put in a second store on the west side of town, which would be awesome. They are building an underpass now, but if you live on the west side of town (like me) you have a cross highway 2, which is annoying, so an option on the west side of the highway is really all I want, whether it's trader joe's or another cashwise (I like Cashwise).

The annoys you because (1) Fargo wasn't first with a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's and (2) the NDSU grad hasn't promised a new stadium for FBS. Williston is a Whole Foods kinda place because in Williston, a Whole Foods bill wouldn't be a Whole Paycheck like it would be in Fargo. Their prepared foods are good. The stores ND really needs is a Sprouts: which is all over Phoenix and Denver and their organic prices are cheap.

The annoys you because (1) Fargo wasn't first with a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's and (2) the NDSU grad hasn't promised a new stadium for FBS. Williston is a Whole Foods kinda place because in Williston, a Whole Foods bill wouldn't be a Whole Paycheck like it would be in Fargo. Their prepared foods are good. The stores ND really needs is a Sprouts: which is all over Phoenix and Denver and their organic prices are cheap.

Could care less if Whole Foods or Trader Joe's comes to ND in any city.

Whole Foods looks at the overall demographics of an area, as well as how it can source locally grown organic produce and meats. For example, Des Moines just got a small one a couple of years ago, so I doubt Fargo would be on their radar anytime soon unless WF really wanted to increase its footprint. The fact you have roughnecks making over $100K and living in $3000 apartments may not be enough to drive them unless Williston also develops a larger white collar population who would be amenable to spending more there than at CashWise.

Whole Foods looks at the overall demographics of an area, as well as how it can source locally grown organic produce and meats. For example, Des Moines just got a small one a couple of years ago, so I doubt Fargo would be on their radar anytime soon unless WF really wanted to increase its footprint. The fact you have roughnecks making over $100K and living in $3000 apartments may not be enough to drive them unless Williston also develops a larger white collar population who would be amenable to spending more there than at CashWise.

I'm well aware of the demographic limitations that Whole Foods applies to its new stores. Chipotle has requires similar demographics, but for a lot smaller area. Williston is one of the youngest and most affluent emerging "metros" out there. Young adults in that demographic have some of the higher disposable incomes after rent outside of Manhattan and California beach towns. Buying a home isn't that expensive in Williston, and those consumers have $'s.

Your post would have been just fine without the first part. Wow why you so argry?

Really? Dude--- How the hell are we supposed to know that?

• Upvote 2

Your post would have been just fine without the first part. Wow why you so argry?

It completely went over your head.

Every other Bisonville thread talks about how great Fargo is because it has a Sonic or was the first with a Kohl's, so Fargo obviously is the best ND has to offer according to Bville. Bisonville is also looking for a sugardaddy with a spare $200 m so it can buy itself a domed stadium for FBS.

Those statements were parodies on posters like Bison Dan and most of Bisonville.

Every other Bisonville thread talks about how great Fargo is because it has a Sonic or was the first with a Kohl's, so Fargo obviously is the best ND has to offer according to Bville. Bisonville is also looking for a sugardaddy with a spare $200 m so it can buy itself a domed stadium for FBS.

Those statements were parodies on posters like Bison Dan and most of Bisonville.

We are still waiting for that Sonic to open.

Got it.

Whats funny is we Parody fargo as well. The West Fargo Sonic has been a joke for years because there isnt one. LOL

We are still waiting for that Sonic to open.

Supposed to be a month or three, right? I keep forgetting to drive past the site. I think I was actually there a few days ago, but it was night and I forgot to pay close attention. Concrete was supposed to be done something like a month ago, so the steel should be finished or nearly so. Maybe walls as well?

Supposed to be a month or three, right? I keep forgetting to drive past the site. I think I was actually there a few days ago, but it was night and I forgot to pay close attention. Concrete was supposed to be done something like a month ago, so the steel should be finished or nearly so. Maybe walls as well?

I heard the rain is slowing progress so they are behind.

Could care less if Whole Foods or Trader Joe's comes to ND in any city.

And UND's English 101 class would tell you that the correct expression is COULDN'T or COULD NOT care less. Saying that you "could care less" suggests that you do in fact care, even if just a little.