SiouxSports.com Forum

Oil Booms in North Dakota

star2city

http://www.grandfork...icle/id/223833/

ND airport boardings

Total passenger boardings at North Dakota’s commercial airports are way up as of Nov. 30, compared with the same period in 2010.

Fargo: 318,953, down 4.2 percent.

• Bismarck: 177,063, up 0.06 percent.
    • Minot: 134,789, up 67.2 percent.
      • Grand Forks: 104,990, down 0.04 percent.
        • Williston: 24,961, up 71.5 percent.

• Dickinson: 16,827, up 81.4 percent.

[*]Devils Lake: 5,231, up 16.3 percent.

[*]Jamestown: 4,924, up 28.3 percent.

[*]North Dakota total: 787,738, up 8.3 percent

There's speculation that Berthold (population ~500) may see up to 2300 new homes in the next five years or so. It sounds like there's a developer proposing 900 homes very soon in what people are calling "phase 1".

In another 10 years, Highway 2 between Minot and Williston may be the key economic and political corridor in the state. Not just Williston and Minot will see growth, but a number of smaller towns like Stanley, Tioga, Berthold may become the size of Wahpeton. Hard to imagine that just five or six years ago, NW ND was practically an economic basket case.

The reign of Imperial Cass may be over after the 2020 redistricting.

Kalispell: Oil's booms ripples reach Flathead Valley

The hundreds of Flathead Valley residents journeying across the Hi-Line to find jobs in the North Dakota oil patch aren’t so different from the pioneers who settled the desolate prairie well over a century ago. It is a promised land whose harsh terrain and climate stands to make or break folks. ...

Flathead economic development leaders are wise to be monitoring the situation in the Sidney particularly, where city leaders are working hard to get out in front of the growth in a proactive, not reactive manner. As Flathead businesses open branch operations in oil-field towns — and we know that’s already happening with local contractors — it stands to strengthen our own economy.

http://www.dailyinte...1871e3ce6c.html

Montana newspapers giving a lot of press to the Bakken:

Kalispell Daily Interlake: Area Contractors tap into Bakken Building frenzy

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/news/local_montana/article_73b1b612-2933-11e1-87c4-001871e3ce6c.html

Malmquist said Halliburton has hired many Flathead subcontractors for overseas jobs, and in total the company has put about 450 Flathead Valley residents to work in the Bakken oilfields and elsewhere in recent years.

He said hundreds of miles of gas and oil pipeline will be built in coming years, and he’s heard talk of the need for up to 50 more rail terminals between Sidney and Minot, N.D. There’s a proposal for a refinery under way, and two gas plants are under construction in the Watford City area.

“Some say they’ll have to expand the railroad to two tracks across” North Dakota and Montana to handle the oil load,” McIntyre said. “It’s billions of dollars. It’s a magnitude greater than anything they’ve seen before. Many oil companies have billions planned for infrastructure.”

Billings Gazette: Billings companies busy supporting Bakken boom

Some 50 Billings businesses are busy answering the calls from 350 oil companies hungry for workers, trucks, pipe and more, so they can keep pumping crude out of Eastern Montana and western North Dakota.

The stakes are high: an estimated $1.5 billion is being spent each month drilling in the Bakken.

In fact, ties to the Bakken boom are so strong in Yellowstone County that the air carrier Silver Airways, formerly called Gulfstream International, is considering adding a direct flight to Williston, N.D., from Billings.

In another 10 years, Highway 2 between Minot and Williston may be the key economic and political corridor in the state. Not just Williston and Minot will see growth, but a number of smaller towns like Stanley, Tioga, Berthold may become the size of Wahpeton. Hard to imagine that just five or six years ago, NW ND was practically an economic basket case.

The reign of Imperial Cass may be over after the 2020 redistricting.

Kalispell: Oil's booms ripples reach Flathead Valley

http://www.dailyinte...1871e3ce6c.html

I'm just hoping local and state leaders have a plan to handle the increased traffic and population. And putting stoplights up and down Highway 2 does not constitute a plan. ;)

I'm just hoping local and state leaders have a plan to handle the increased traffic and population. And putting stoplights up and down Highway 2 does not constitute a plan. ;)

How about making Hwy 2 an interstate but I suppose other states have to join in on that.

How about making Hwy 2 an interstate but I suppose other states have to join in on that.

Back in the days, supposedly there was going to be an I96 or I98 going west from Duluth. There have been additional interstates that have been approved or pushed recently - especially in the South. I26 was just extended north from Asheville NC through the mountains and into Virginia. A new interstate is connecting Birmingham and Memphis. There also talk of a new parallel interstate to I10 from the Georgia coast into Texas, as I10 is susceptible to being cut off in multiple locations from Hurricanes (I10 was cut off for an extended time at Pensacola bay).

A lot of states upgrade their heavily traveled non-interstate roads into limited access highways. With all the truck traffic, that probably needs to happen between Minot and WIlliston.

It would be interesting to know how many jobs Bakken has created in this country. Cities with oil and oil service company headquarters, like Houston, Denver, and Oklahoma City, have gained a lot of jobs due to the Bakken. Also, some industries, like heavy transportation, makers of rail cars, rail tankers, piping, instrumentation, ceramic, pumps, electrical equipment are all in boom times because of oil / nat gas industries and in converting nat gas liquids into plastics like polyethlyene and polypropylene (the plastic industry had just about abandoned the US when nat gas prices were high). Of course, its not just Bakken, but numerous other places like Eagle Ford (Texas), Barnett (Texas), Wattenberg (Colorado), Unitah (Utah), Marcellus (WV/Pa), and soon, Utica (Ohio). The oil / gas industry may be the one industry that is preventing the US from becoming Europe.

Calgary Herald: Top Ten Energy Trends

Expanding light, tight oil (LTO) – Who foresaw that North Dakota would become an oil superpower? In 2011 oil analysts conceded that the State had become more about oil than faces carved out of a mountain. Yet who says that oil-bearing rocks stop at latitude 49? Last year showed that LTO plays are proliferating in Canada too. Alberta’s light oil production is now on a decisive rise after a 30-year downtrend. LTO growth will move more mountains in 2012.

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2011/12/19/no-need-for-useless-alarm/

The local and state leaders need to start pushing for funds to build overpasses on some of the major intersections along US 2. Unfortunately, I have a feeling you are right and we will see nothing but stop lights continue to go up.

The local and state leaders need to start pushing for funds to build overpasses on some of the major intersections along US 2. Unfortunately, I have a feeling you are right and we will see nothing but stop lights continue to go up.

It seems like there's a traffic fatality/day in northwestern ND. I wouldn't let my wife drive on highway 2 between Minot and Williston right now.

I hate to have this get political but if congress isn't a full Republican congress (which the senate is not) it isn't going to matter who is president. IMO the president is worthless if congress of the opposite party isn't going to help the president. I say disband the party system and see this country get back to its feet.

I don't disagree with the premise that the congress needs to be aligned (see the recent health bill)...But, what I cannot stand is the President allowing the EPA to make these ridiculous rulings without congress being allowed to do their jobs. Additionally, we all know as North Dakotan's this is another example of outsiders (e.g. NCAA, Kelly, etc.) telling us how to behave or what to do or what we cannot do...its time people start understanding this situation is indicative of the serious issues when the country was formed relative to state vs federal rights.

I don't disagree with the premise that the congress needs to be aligned (see the recent health bill)...But, what I cannot stand is the President allowing the EPA to make these ridiculous rulings without congress being allowed to do their jobs. Additionally, we all know as North Dakotan's this is another example of outsiders (e.g. NCAA, Kelly, etc.) telling us how to behave or what to do or what we cannot do...its time people start understanding this situation is indicative of the serious issues when the country was formed relative to state vs federal rights.

Dead on!!

Saw this in the Herald. Looks like you guys in ND have it made and should pass up California and Alaska for number 2 real soon. What I found really interesting was that ND was projecting to be a 1 million barrels a day by 2015 and now they are saying things are running ahead of the projections. Add in that Texas is at 1.1 million barrels a day and has had only a slight increase in the last 6 years. That means that it is very possible ND could pass Texas and be the number 1 oil producer in the nation someday.

http://www.grandfork...icle/id/226190/

Saw this in the Herald. Looks like you guys in ND have it made and should pass up California and Alaska for number 2 real soon. What I found really interesting was that ND was projecting to be a 1 million barrels a day by 2015 and now they are saying things are running ahead of the projections. Add in that Texas is at 1.1 million barrels a day and has had only a slight increase in the last 6 years. That means that it is very possible ND could pass Texas and be the number 1 oil producer in the nation someday.

http://www.grandfork...icle/id/226190/

Passing California and Alaska would be huge.

Nice move by UND and the State Board! This is a clear example of UND serving the state's current needs.

Meanwhile, down south....

http://www.inforum.c...icle/id/347821/ Not a good sign for the nanoscale industry. :sad:

Let me interpret this for our friends at the Ag College:

"UND your big brother do good. The Ag College do bad. It sad time for you people now. :sad: But, it better cuz you won at the football! Yay you! :bigsmile: "

Just doing this as a public service. No thanks are necessary!

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Oil Booms in North Dakota