SiouxSports.com Forum

Blais to Minnesota?

UNDHockeyUSA

Bucky -

How can you say this:

This extension means nothing. If/when the U wants him they will get him.

and then follow it up with this:

Ive never thought it was a slam dunk. I'm simply saying that if the U after next season went to Blais and he has interest, the extension he just signed is thrown out the window.

Your first statement implied he'd be automatically interested if "The U" came calling.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bucky -

How can you say this:

and then follow it up with this:

Your first statement implied he'd be automatically interested if "The U" came calling.

You're right. In my first post I should have said if he has interest. My point was never that the U can get anyone they want whenever they want. My only point was that if the U and Blais have mutual interest then they will find a way to get it done regardless of a recent extension.

I admire Dean & will love the Sioux beating him in Omaha :lol: - I don't see him going back to Minn

If he were younger maybe someday - but he is getting up there & will be totally appreciated in Omaha

Happiness is more important than $$$

You're right. In my first post I should have said if he has interest. My point was never that the U can get anyone they want whenever they want. My only point was that if the U and Blais have mutual interest then they will find a way to get it done regardless of a recent extension.

Not out of the question. I see a trade sending Blais to UMinn for a half-dozen overrated Minnesota-born quitters and a blood-oath to end UND's season just once in the next five years.

Not out of the question. I see a trade sending Blais to UMinn for a half-dozen overrated Minnesota-born quitters and a blood-oath to end UND's season just once in the next five years.

Careful now your starting to sound like an SCSU fan in the late '90s gloating about owning the Gophers, while forgetting your main objective. :lol:

The almighty U of M can get anybody they want. It's everybody's first choice. The rest of college hockey just has to get by on what they pass up on. You'd think they'd be able to win with that type of advantage. It even applies to players. I'm so happy they didn't want Parise (either one), Oshie, Brock Nelson, Gothberg, or Forbort since I'm sure their first choice was MN. Lucky UND. :lol:

Actually, Parise was conflicted on where to go -- the Sioux or the Gilded Gonads -- and asked Herb Brooks and Brooks, evidently, advised him to choose the Sioux. From what I understand, there were some pretty pissed off gopher fans/alumni/coaches. How's that for irony? The great Herb Brooks, a Minnesota legend, actually telling a MN blue chip to go to North Dakota. I love it.

Perhaps Blaiser actually LIKES the city of Omaha, and the situation at UNO. He will be back in the WCHA, in a 16,000 seat arena. Sounds like Trev Alberts is running a nice program down there.

Impossible. Everybody likes Minneapolis more and every coach wants to coach the gophers and every player wants to play for them. :lol:

think of this as a possibility... new ad trev alberts has decided that hockey is the program that could put uno on the map, and he knows that he needs to do whatever he can to keep blais there because HE will be the key to a successful transition to the wcha. believe me football isn't the ticket with lincoln an hour down the road, and creighton has a monopoly on the bouncyball fans. also omaha is a great sports city, with a nice group of hockey fans. the quest is a very nice stadium, that will be one of the biggest in the wcha (maybe only behind the kohl?). now uno lacks the tradition of und, uw or minny... but they have the best college coach in the game (no disrespect to hak) and believe me he may lose alot of recruiting battles with the big boys, but he WILL win his fair share also. look what blasi has done with miami, you don't think there are some kids who wouldn't love to be part of that story with blais in omaha? i think maybe the goof faithful are putting too much stock in the fact that blais would drop everything to go to the trainwreck that is the um hockey program, where hockey is 3rd or 4th on the atheletic totem pole, and where he would be under the microscope from day one (not that i think that would bother him). maybe he likes omaha, its a great city. maybe he likes the freedom and support he gets from alberts and the atheletic department. maybe he likes the challenge of taking a mediocre (at best) program and bringing them to national prominence. maybe he is getting older and has decided he doesn't want to jump around anymore. i don't have any more insight than all of you, but the smart money says blaiser is in omaha for the long haul, bucky i'll bet you a cold one he is still the coach at uno after next season.

think of this as a possibility... new ad trev alberts has decided that hockey is the program that could put uno on the map, and he knows that he needs to do whatever he can to keep blais there because HE will be the key to a successful transition to the wcha. believe me football isn't the ticket with lincoln an hour down the road, and creighton has a monopoly on the bouncyball fans. also omaha is a great sports city, with a nice group of hockey fans. the quest is a very nice stadium, that will be one of the biggest in the wcha (maybe only behind the kohl?). now uno lacks the tradition of und, uw or minny... but they have the best college coach in the game (no disrespect to hak) and believe me he may lose alot of recruiting battles with the big boys, but he WILL win his fair share also. look what blasi has done with miami, you don't think there are some kids who wouldn't love to be part of that story with blais in omaha? i think maybe the goof faithful are putting too much stock in the fact that blais would drop everything to go to the trainwreck that is the um hockey program, where hockey is 3rd or 4th on the atheletic totem pole, and where he would be under the microscope from day one (not that i think that would bother him). maybe he likes omaha, its a great city. maybe he likes the freedom and support he gets from alberts and the atheletic department. maybe he likes the challenge of taking a mediocre (at best) program and bringing them to national prominence. maybe he is getting older and has decided he doesn't want to jump around anymore. i don't have any more insight than all of you, but the smart money says blaiser is in omaha for the long haul, bucky i'll bet you a cold one he is still the coach at uno after next season.

I agree he probably will be the coach at UNO after next season. I dont think Lucia is going anywhere anytime soon. And when Lucia does leave I want Tom Ward or Scott Bell to be the next coach.

Blais has said that he want to be at a university where hockey is king. Hockey is UNO's only D1 sport and UNO ended up 4th in Hockey attendence in the nation and is growing. He also loves Trev Alberts who is his AD which he said is also important to him. UNO is trying to build their own on campus hockey arena. I think that also motivates Blais to see that thru

I agree he probably will be the coach at UNO after next season. I dont think Lucia is going anywhere anytime soon. And when Lucia does leave I want Tom Ward or Scott Bell to be the next coach.

Maybe it has already been reported here but, if not, a little birdie told me that the next Gopher coach, likely soon, is the Serratore guy out of the Air Force Academy. Book it. Geez, I love the internet. Slippery Sidney Hartman does not.

If Lucia did leave Minnesota would be crazy not to go after Motzko! That is if they couldnt get Dean, but even if they could wouldnt you want a guy you know will be around for 10 years?

If Lucia did leave Minnesota would be crazy not to go after Motzko! That is if they couldnt get Dean, but even if they could wouldnt you want a guy you know will be around for 10 years?

does minnesota have any former players that are coaching out there that could be candidates? im sure they would love to get some gopher blood in house but im not sure if there are many evern out there

does minnesota have any former players that are coaching out there that could be candidates? im sure they would love to get some gopher blood in house but im not sure if there are many evern out there

Todd Richards might be available. :lol:

I know a Miami Friend of mine was worried about this, however, I don't think he needs to worry anymore.

The concerns might have been warranted. IIRC current UofM AD Joe Maturi hired Blasi in '99.

I'd imagine they've kept in touch.

:lol:

The concerns might have been warranted. IIRC current UofM AD Joe Maturi hired Blasi in '99.

I'd imagine they've kept in touch.

:lol:

And I countered with he is a Miami guy why would he want to coach at the UofMN? :lol:

Maybe it has already been reported here but, if not, a little birdie told me that the next Gopher coach, likely soon, is the Serratore guy out of the Air Force Academy. Book it. Geez, I love the internet. Slippery Sidney Hartman does not.

His son, Serratore, is going to play hockey for the Gophers. Maybe Dad was planning ahead.