SiouxSports.com Forum

Blais to Minnesota?

UNDHockeyUSA

Live in Fargo and we are already planning the 1/2 mile, 4 ft high sandbag dike that saved us last year. Was noted in the local news today that so far this is the wettest winter on record EVER for Fargo! Two 500 year floods back to back??!! :sad::)

Lived in Williston in the mid to late 90's. That town was a complete mess...was still recovering from the previous oil boom bust. People west of Jamestown generally have animosity for Fargo. Don't get it either and never will.

But I'm sure I can place a call to Fetch in early April and he'll come running to help throw sandbags for a week!?

It isn't just Fargo that people west of Jamestown don't like. During the 1999 Legislative Session where funding for the Grand Forks flood protection system was being debated, some western legislators didn't want Grand Forks to get one red cent. Now you can expect Fargo to get the same level of static when it comes time to fund a diversion project.

Fargo needs quality, dependable flood protection and the whole state should work together to help them get it.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be convinced that Blais was going to the Gophers and was agonizing over finding myself actually wanting to see The Don win a couple of big games to take the heat off of him and his program.

However, I am no longer convinced that The Don is gone, either "voluntarily" or by firing squad. In fact, a contract extension is nearly done and will be announced soon, ala Brewster Nation. Why? First, the Gopher athletic program does not have any extra cash to throw around to "buy out" a coach who has been as successful as has been The Don. Second, The Don is only in his early fifties. There has been no hint of lingering health problems, and it is unlikely that he has any desire or intention to retire at such a young age. He would not go easily and, as noted, the Gophers simply cannot afford to buy him out and bring in a guy wanting top dollar on top of Don's top dollar. Third, the guy does have two NCs in a relatively short stretch of time. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, The Don still has a youngster in tow who is coming up through the ranks, who is twice the player of his brother, and who is handpicked and earmarked to become the program's savior in a couple of years. Mario will make the team, Mario will get to bring a couple of his friends, Mario will get to be captain, and Mario will fill the seats. Only then, roughly six years from now, and still stuck on five titles, will The Don either get canned or go quietly into the retirement years. By then, of course, The Dean will have won a title or two at UND (yes, UND, not UNO, as The Hak will have left for the pros), The Dean will be ready to retire himself and will have no interest in the Gopher job, and Enrico will become their new coach if he does not first replace Gwozdicky at DU. I have this all from a little birdie and, as we all should well know by now, little birdies tell no stories.

Interesting blog. We'll have to see which birdies are correct. From what I hear Lucia is out because of medical reasons, :ohmy: and Blais will take over at Minnesota bringing along some impressive assistant coaches. :lol: Should be interesting! From what I hear Minnesota has plenty of money to spend for their hockey program. I'm positive "State of Hockey" will be brining in the best candidate available.

From QuickFacts (Fiona)/Twitter:

"Seems radio pundits, others, setting up conclusion QF came to last season, that Don Lucia likely to resign after this season."

This is the same Fiona that wrote a story for the Minnesota Hockey Journal about former Gopher Jon Waibel in which she praised him for, among other things, lettering in three sports at Buffalo (MN) High School.

I don't believe it. Lucia has a son coming up that is supposed to be legit D-I talent. Would think coaching him at the U of M would be a distinct possibility that Lucia would like to stick around for.

Gorg was on with PA today. Basically said that those calling for Lucia's head are crazy. No way he gets fired. Only way he leaves Minnesota is if he resigns, and why would he? Teams go through stretches all across the sporting spectrum where they struggle. Two titles over a 10 year tenure at Minnesota should give the guy a little latitude to try to get things turned around.

Gorg was on with PA today. Basically said that those calling for Lucia's head are crazy. No way he gets fired. Only way he leaves Minnesota is if he resigns, and why would he? Teams go through stretches all across the sporting spectrum where they struggle. Two titles over a 10 year tenure at Minnesota should give the guy a little latitude to try to get things turned around.

I agree unless the UofM has some sugar daddy with a lot of money how are they going to pay for Donny's buy out?

I'll say this...I don't know anything about Lucia's health and I'm not saying he's going to be "forced out", but when he does go (whether that's this year or 5 years from now) Blais will be the next Gophers coach. The only way that doesn't happen is if Lucia stays there for many more years and by that time Blais is done coaching altogether. But if Lucia is gone and Blais is still in the coaching gig he'll be coaching the Goofs.

the question is if/when dean coaches at minnesota how will peoples feelings in sioux hockey nation change towards him? will it be

A - lose a little sioux love for dean?

B - lose all sioux love for dean?

C - hope he succeeds (deep down a little bit) except when the sioux play them?

D - dont care either way?

E - screw the gophers no matter who is calling the shots?

G - <insert your feeling here> :ohmy:

i guess we can revisit these questions if/when it happens but a fun hypothetical :lol:

i dont think saying dean will be the next coach is that suprising. its been talked about in the college hockey circles for the last year ever since don and the donettes have decided to golf instead of playing hockey in late march/early april

Quick is all over the map with her predictions. She went with "Kessel to Badgers, McBain to Gophers" if I recall correctly. She made up a message board alt to harass the GPL faithful at one point. Her hatred for Lucia and love for Evan Kaufmann is a bit over the top.

She could certainly end up right about this, but it would just be a case of throwing enough stuff at a wall and something eventually sticking.

That said she does a nice job following Minnesota born players after their college careers, though I'm not sure how they feel about it.

I think that is why I referred to her as a potential Eklund. I can remember her gettting into it recently on twitter with Russo from the Trib as well.

I agree unless the UofM has some sugar daddy with a lot of money how are they going to pay for Donny's buy out?

Money won't be the deciding factor in whether Lucia stays or not. His contract isn't nearly as big a part of the Minnesota Athletic Department budget as Haks at UND or any of the other smaller schools. That being said, I don't see Lucia leaving this year unless he has worse health problems than has been publicly reported.

Did she ever do a piece describing Tyler Hirsch's desire to destroy all hockey nets?

please don't start that, I am sorry but Tyler was a nice young man who had some issues that he tried to sort out..and did pretty good at it if I remember correctly. There is no need for us to continue to bring him up and say things that can be taken as low blows to him.

If Minnesota wants to buy out Lucia, how does sit not have enough money? Believe me, Minnesota has plenty of money to make the deal. Let's not forget that Lucia has been struggling for many years. It's not like it just started this year. Not to mention his coaching ability is being questioned.

Let me ask? Since some of you rank coaches on championships. What do you think of Hakstol's job at UND?

2010-2011 season:

Head coach: Blais

Assistant coach: Tom Ward

Assistant coach: Oseike (sp)

My only question. It's no secret UND relies on both Canada and Minnesota for recruiting. Minnesota relies on Minnesota for recruiting. Will Blais have the freedom to recruit in O'Canada?

I have a dream! Someday North Dakota actually has more than 50% of NoDak players on their roster. :angry: I don't know about you, but only averaging 2-3 players each year is not acceptable. And it's kind of embarrassing over the years. :D Before anyone attacks my comments, it's the truth. I hear this from my Minnesota buddies all the time.

If Minnesota wants to buy out Lucia, how does sit not have enough money? Believe me, Minnesota has plenty of money to make the deal. Let's not forget that Lucia has been struggling for many years. It's not like it just started this year. Not to mention his coaching ability is being questioned.

Let me ask? Since some of you rank coaches on championships. What do you think of Hakstol's job at UND?

2010-2011 season:

My only question. It's no secret UND relies on both Canada and Minnesota for recruiting. Minnesota relies on Minnesota for recruiting. Will Blais have the freedom to recruit in O'Canada?

I have a dream! Someday North Dakota actually has more than 50% of NoDak players on their roster. :angry: I don't know about you, but only averaging 2-3 players each year is not acceptable. And it's kind of embarrassing over the years. :D Before anyone attacks my comments, it's the truth. I hear this from my Minnesota buddies all the time.

Then reverse the question. Why does MN have so many out of state players on their football and basketball teams? If they feel it is such a good policy for hockey, why not FB and BB. Minnesota does have football fields and basketball gyms. The reason ND doesn't have many in-state hockey players is that very few schools in ND have hockey programs. ND has a population of 600,000 while MN is pushing 5,000,000 which is almost 9 times the size. If UND has 2-3 ND players, MN should equally have 18-27 MN players. So, it is equal.

2010-2011 season:

Dude, the state of ND has around 650,000 people. The Twin cities alone has 2-3 million! There are far more division one players in Minny. One could also argue that eastern ND is the only place there is D I talent, making the recruiting pool even smaller in ND. This argument about more ND recruits fails.

Dude, the state of ND has around 650,000 people. The Twin cities alone has 2-3 million! There are far more division one players in Minny. One could also argue that eastern ND is the only place there is D I talent, making the recruiting pool even smaller in ND. This argument about more ND recruits fails.

No argument! I said it was a dream. Lets face the facts. You can look at both Minnesota's basketball and football rosters. They do average more than 2-3 players on those two teams each and every year. North Dakota hockey is what it is. We have to recruit Canadians and Minnesota players to compete simple and easy.

Minnesota has 5 players from Minnesota for men's basketball

Minnesota had close to 30 players on the football team from Minnesota

UND has 2 players from NoDak on their hockey team

UND has 6 players from Minnesota on their hockey team

There are more kids from Minnesota playing football for UND than kids from NoDak.

Like I said. I have a dream that some day we can recruit enought talent from NoDak to compete. Enough importing players and recruiting in Minnesota.

No argument, just a dream.

Before anyone attacks my comments, it's the truth. I hear this from my Minnesota buddies all the time.

It's the truth because you hear it from your MN buddies?

I agree with yzerman19...I don't care where the players come from...as long as they are good, quality players.

I'm willing to bet that any Gophers fan would agree at this point as well after a few subpar seasons in a row.

It's awesome to see local ND talent excel on the Sioux...the Panzer bros, Bina, Marto, etc. But I'll still enjoy watching the team and cheering them on regardless if they are from ND, MN, Canada, AZ, or Slovakia. :D

i heard the canadian goalie going to minny is pretty much a done deal but who really knows until he signs the letter of intent. On kfan they have been talking about the gophers going to try get the best team together no matter where they are from because the Frozen 4 is in the cities next I believe. I think Blais will not be going there. just a feeling which i hope is true

Scuttlebut among the athletic department types is that Lucia will be back next year. All kinds of supporting rumors, like Lucia wanting to stick around to coach his younger, more talented kid, and Blais having an out in his contract at UNO only to go to MN but not wanting to leave this quickly are also out there, but seem harder to confirm...

I know a guy who knows a guy who listens to a Sunday sports talk radio show that features a guy who writes a column in a Twin Cities rag that claims to have all of the inside scoop on Gopher athletics because the guy who writes the column hangs out at a restaurant that claims to feature some famous butter knife steak where the Gophers' athletic director, Joel Maturi, is often found fattening himself up during the midday hours. So, the guy on the radio claims that Maturi told him, over a silver butter knife, that Lucia is the head hockey coach at Minnesota as long as Maturi is the athletic director there.

My questions are these? Where is Maturi going come June? And, is he leaving voluntarily, or is he being shown the door for having signed Bubba "Snake Oil" Brewster to a long-term extension for no good reason?