SiouxSports.com Forum

Blais to Minnesota?

UNDHockeyUSA

I know a guy who knows a guy who listens to a Sunday sports talk radio show that features a guy who writes a column in a Twin Cities rag that claims to have all of the inside scoop on Gopher athletics because the guy who writes the column hangs out at a restaurant that claims to feature some famous butter knife steak where the Gophers' athletic director, Joel Maturi, is often found fattening himself up during the midday hours. So, the guy on the radio claims that Maturi told him, over a silver butter knife, that Lucia is the head hockey coach at Minnesota as long as Maturi is the athletic director there.

My questions are these? Where is Maturi going come June? And, is he leaving voluntarily, or is he being shown the door for having signed Bubba "Snake Oil" Brewster to a long-term extension for no good reason?

If you have to ask that question then you clearly dont understand how recruiting works in college football. Giving Brewster the extension was absolutely necessary. Where Maturi screwed up was not giving him the extension two months earlier before we lost some recruits because of the uncertainty surrounding his contract.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have to ask that question then you clearly dont understand how recruiting works in college football. Giving Brewster the extension was absolutely necessary. Where Maturi screwed up was not giving him the extension two months earlier before we lost some recruits because of the uncertainty surrounding his contract.

Oh, I am pretty sure that I know how recruiting works in college football there Bucky. I know it when I see it, and I ain't seen any of it around Minnesota for years. Brewster is all show and no go. Maybe once Brewster is shown the door, the quality recruits will come calling. Until then, the U football program will remain firmly mired in the morass of continued mediocrity. At best. The sooner that the Brewski Nation realizes that hiring Brewster was a complete mistake, the better off it will be. This said, Gopher football really ain't my problem or my concern. It has been on the hind titty of the college football world for coming up on fifty years. Count 'em. Fifty years.

Fishing's good today boys.

Oh, I am pretty sure that I know how recruiting works in college football there Bucky. I know it when I see it, and I ain't seen any of it around Minnesota for years. Brewster is all show and no go. Maybe once Brewster is shown the door, the quality recruits will come calling. Until then, the U football program will remain firmly mired in the morass of continued mediocrity. At best. The sooner that the Brewski Nation realizes that hiring Brewster was a complete mistake, the better off it will be. This said, Gopher football really ain't my problem or my concern. It has been on the hind titty of the college football world for coming up on fifty years. Count 'em. Fifty years.

Fishing's good today boys.

Brewster has dramatically improved the recruiting per every national recruiting service its vastly better than Mason. And to already claim his hiring was a mistake when his first recruiting class were true sophomores last year is ridiculous. It takes a minimum of four years to build a football program and he deserves the chance to coach his own recruits as upperclassmen.

• 1 month later...

All may be true with Blaise signing a new contract....however, I was watching today's game in Mesa AZ today (another dissapointing ending to a year) and one of the alumni said that the University of Minnesota AD and Booster president, paid a visit to Blaise's house, and met with him for about 2 hours.

So not sure if the deal is done as of yet.....but would rather that ND try and get him back, than lose him to MN.

BRING BLAISE BACK....PLEASE!

All may be true with Blaise signing a new contract....however, I was watching today's game in Mesa AZ today (another dissapointing ending to a year) and one of the alumni said that the University of Minnesota AD and Booster president, paid a visit to Blaise's house, and met with him for about 2 hours.

So not sure if the deal is done as of yet.....but would rather that ND try and get him back, than lose him to MN.

BRING BLAISE BACK....PLEASE!

He was ours first and your coach is fine. It's time for him to come home.

This year is the year for the Gophers, he isn't going to dump Omaha after next season. They will be too good.

Published March 31 2010

Blais signs contract extension

Nebraska-Omaha coach Dean Blais, who led UND to national titles in 1997 and 2000, has signed a two-year contract extension with the Mavericks. Blais is now under contract through 2014-15

Nebraska-Omaha coach Dean Blais, who led UND to national titles in 1997 and 2000, has signed a two-year contract extension with the Mavericks.

Blais is now under contract through 2014-15.

Published March 31 2010

Blais signs contract extension

Nebraska-Omaha coach Dean Blais, who led UND to national titles in 1997 and 2000, has signed a two-year contract extension with the Mavericks. Blais is now under contract through 2014-15

Nebraska-Omaha coach Dean Blais, who led UND to national titles in 1997 and 2000, has signed a two-year contract extension with the Mavericks.

Blais is now under contract through 2014-15.

This extension means nothing. If/when the U wants him they will get him.

If he wanted to coach there he would be there now - although he played for the UMTC 40 years ago, he has nothing pulling him there.

There are plenty of college hockey jobs on par with UMTC - just accept it and move on.

The almighty U of M can get anybody they want. It's everybody's first choice. The rest of college hockey just has to get by on what they pass up on. You'd think they'd be able to win with that type of advantage. It even applies to players. I'm so happy they didn't want Parise (either one), Oshie, Brock Nelson, Gothberg, or Forbort since I'm sure their first choice was MN. Lucky UND. :lol:

Wow you people are naive. Contracts and extensions are window dressing. Ultimately if the U comes calling next year and he wants it, hell take it. If you think an extension with Nebraska Omaha would stop him then...we'll then I dont know what to say.

I find it funny that SOME UMN fans believe this would be a slam dunk.

Perhaps Blaiser actually LIKES the city of Omaha, and the situation at UNO. He will be back in the WCHA, in a 16,000 seat arena. Sounds like Trev Alberts is running a nice program down there.

In his interview with Hammer aired on Monday, he said he took the position thinking 3 or 4 more years and he'd be done coaching. He sees a lot of potential so he decided to give it some more time.

Why would you go from UNO with any improvement up to expectations to UMN where anything less than a NC in the first three years is a failure at this point in his career.

"The U"? When did The University of Miami Hurricanes start a hockey program? Are Warren Sapp and Michael Irvin going to talk Blaiser into leaving Omaha?

In his interview with Hammer aired on Monday, he said he took the position thinking 3 or 4 more years and he'd be done coaching. He sees a lot of potential so he decided to give it some more time.

Why would you go from UNO with any improvement up to expectations to UMN where anything less than a NC in the first three years is a failure at this point in his career.

I think the "U" could have had him this year if Lucia's contract was closer to ending. After next year Blais has way less motivation to leave UNO. His third year team at UNO will no doubt be poised to go deep in the NCAAs and he will have a LOT more invested there. This season he was away a bunch and easily could have been persuaded to come home.

Wow you people are naive. Contracts and extensions are window dressing. Ultimately if the U comes calling next year and he wants it, hell take it. If you think an extension with Nebraska Omaha would stop him then...we'll then I dont know what to say.

We're all so scared. Blais would still have to deal with all the crappy players and recruits that the Gophers have.

I think the "U" could have had him this year if Lucia's contract was closer to ending. After next year Blais has way less motivation to leave UNO. His third year team at UNO will no doubt be poised to go deep in the NCAAs and he will have a LOT more invested there. This season he was away a bunch and easily could have been persuaded to come home.

I agree. WJC took him away for a big chunk of the middle of the year. with a full season with his team he will do well in the WCHA this year. 5-7 place finish is my prediction.

If our team scores more points than their team, we have a pretty good chance of winning tonight.

Thank you, John Madden. :lol: