SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ ST. CLOUD

AZSIOUX

I see your point but my take is to borrow a term from Chili. Batter them until you "impose your will upon them". Sure, you'll take a few penalties but make them afraid to get close to the net or go in the corners.

As much as I would like to see the Genoway hit avenged, I think the Sioux have enough problems just trying to score a goal or three against Lee or whomever SCSU starts. I'd much rather see 5 goals each nite than a bunch of goon tactics that reinforces some folks perspective of the Sioux teams.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I would like to see the Genoway hit avenged, I think the Sioux have enough problems just trying to score a goal or three against Lee or whomever SCSU starts. I'd much rather see 5 goals each nite than a bunch of goon tactics that reinforces some folks perspective of the Sioux teams.

To be clear I wasn't advocating cheapness. I was advocating hitting them with legal checks until they don't want any more. Then you outscore them.

with the way the Sioux have been playing lately, 5 goales for the weekend would be pretty good...just not seeing it this year but I'm holding out hope that they will come together over this last part of the season...

I see your point but my take is to borrow a term from Chili. Batter them until you "impose your will upon them". Sure, you'll take a few penalties but make them afraid to get close to the net or go in the corners.

Take his mantra..? it'd be : too many men on the ice/12 men in the huddle. :)

I emailed Midco the other day about televising the UND/SCSU hockey games this weekend and here is the reply.

"Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate your comments and questions.

We appreciate your feedback and welcome your comments and suggestions. The UND/SCSU game will be broadcasted Friday night at 7:30 pm. Saturday

To be clear I wasn't advocating cheapness. I was advocating hitting them with legal checks until they don't want any more. Then you outscore them.

I don't think anyone was, nor did any of us infere that you mean that. That being said if someone smoked Marvin with a stiff legal check every time they got the chance I am all for that. I also think the Sioux need to hammer Lasch and Roe legally, yet hard. I think its time for Mac to burry Marvin with a monster check. If the Sioux fore check and get on the Huskies when the Sioux are in the offensive zone the Huskies will have a tough time. The Huskies are a very soft team, a more talented version of the Gophers and they do not like to get hit.

I emailed Midco the other day about televising the UND/SCSU hockey games this weekend and here is the reply.

"Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate your comments and questions.

We appreciate your feedback and welcome your comments and suggestions. The UND/SCSU game will be broadcasted Friday night at 7:30 pm. Saturday

all this talk about retaliation against marvin reinforces the notion that whoever said "two wrongs don't make a right" was not a hockey fan.

i know speaking for myself retaliation doesnt mean cheap shotting him like he did to chay. just a simple toe to toe on ice fight which is and has been a part of hockey for many many years. sometimes if the one on one doesnt happen then more problems escalate due to chippiness with sticks and whatever else players choose to do. i would never want to see that happen to any player in hockey.

SIOUXEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP those huskies

Fudge!

We need his one-time ability back on the PP.

Our PP has been horrible lately.

We could use his mouth as well...

Instead, we could just wire up a cattle prod into Fienhage's stick with C-Batteries lining the entire stick, and everytime Marvin gets near someone give him a jolt.

The problem with that, is that the refs are gonna be looking extra close for anything that even comes close to a cheap shot. I can definitely see a few penalties being called that are borderline. I want justice to be served but not at the expense of our dignity. A lot of people think we're the goons of the hockey world and I for one would rather not perpetuate that myth.

Fight and win clean!!! GO SIOUX!!!!!

Part of being a team is having each other's back. Not fighting Marvin would be deleterious to the character of this team.

Anyone wonder if Hak is tweaking his style in an attempt to peak better? An interesting point is that over the last six years we have never had to win. We were locks for the Final 5 and the NCAA tournament. We've had no consequences to losing until the tourney, and as such, maybe we never learned to play with urgency.

This year, we have to get hot and win starting now. Sad thing is maybe this lessen is learned with the wrong team, as certainly this team's makeup isn't full of NHLers.

Not fighting Marvin would be deleterious to the character of this team.

Nicely done. Word of the day? :sad::)

An interesting point is that over the last six years we have never had to win. We were locks for the Final 5 and the NCAA tournament. We've had no consequences to losing until the tourney, and as such, maybe we never learned to play with urgency.

We've been in similar situations in 3 or 4 of Hakstol's years as head coach. Was it two years ago (I think that's right) where UND was sitting at #23 or something like that in the PWR at this time of the year? That team needed to put together a serious streak to make the NCAA's. Last year we had a horrible OOC record that almost killed our NCAA hopes. Three years ago UND was 3 or 4 games below .500 at Xmas time and had to put together quite a run as well...

It seems like every year Hakstol's teams have had to mount good 2nd half runs just to ensure good WCHA and PWR standing.

You're forgetting the fact that if you even touch Roe, he'll fall to the ice like his hero Robbie Earl.

I'm all for the refs calling some diving penalties on Roe this weekend... :)

Unfortunately I think they'll call everything that even resembles a penalty on us Friday, everybody in the world is expecting some kind of brawl and I'm sure the refs have been lectured about not letting things get out of hand early.

The problem with that, is that the refs are gonna be looking extra close for anything that even comes close to a cheap shot. I can definitely see a few penalties being called that are borderline. I want justice to be served but not at the expense of our dignity. A lot of people think we're the goons of the hockey world and I for one would rather not perpetuate that myth.

Fight and win clean!!! GO SIOUX!!!!!

We might be goons but our team plays by the hockey code.

Wednesday update:

At today's weekly Wednesday press conference, UND coach Dave Hakstol said the Sioux are planning to use the same personnel as the Denver series (the lines and power-play unit could change, though, he said). Forward Brett Hextall will do some skating this week, but he is doubtful to play with a leg injury. Hextall has been out for about a month and a half.

Chay Genoway also will be out for the series. No update on him. The team isn't ready to say he's done for the year yet, though.

Of course, one of the storylines this weekend will be UND going to play St. Cloud State and forward Aaron Marvin, who injured Genoway three months ago with an illegal hit from behind. Check out what the players are saying about that in tomorrow's Herald. As a preview, Darcy Zajac says, "This weekend is for Chay. We've got to be playing for Chay and we've got to get those two wins for him."

WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod says the league is not worried at all about a possible incident during this series, although supervisor of officials Greg Shepherd will be on hand for both games. Derek Shepherd and Marco Hunt are expected to ref the series.

"We expect it to be a perfectly normal game," McLeod says. "There's a lot at stake."