SiouxSports.com Forum

Dusting off an old thread: Fire Hakstol?

Goon

^

I totally get where people are coming from with Eidsness - I scratch my head often. That said, as much as he has to stop the ones he's supposed to, the forwards need to bury the ones they're supposed to as well.

I'm getting a little tired of hearing how Eids has to "steal" a game or two for us. The UND teams I'm used to watching rarely need to steal victories - they go get 'em. "Stealing" victories of for our opponents. :ohmy:

Then again, it's not so much that Eids has to "steal" a victory it's more like just don't give it away.

agree and in hockey its the goalie that can steal a game or 2. there isnt a team out there in any sport that doesnt have a few bad games per year and thats when you need the goalie to step up. there are many games left this season and i believe in eids. just want to see a bit more along with others in regards to his overall play. go eids and go sioux!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a question regarding Eidsness...

Would you rather have him hot during November-January or February-April?

I'll take the latter. He has had some bad games, but he'll figure it out. He is capable of getting hot, too. We haven't had a Freshman/Sophomore goalie get this much playing time since Karl Goehring, who had less than Brad. Karl then took us to two Title games, winning one, the following two years. Eids will only get better, if we give him a chance...it's not like he's terrible right now.

Brad also has the 18th best GAA right now in the country, which isn't stellar, but it isn't like he's a bottom end goaltender....that while having one of the youngest, if not the youngest D-corps in the country in front of him. It'd be nice to get the very best players from North America each and every year, but it's not realistic.

Keep in mind, he was a freshman who led us to a MacNaughton as well.

It's kind of a chicken vs. egg thing with this team. Is Eidsness under the microscope here because we can't seem to get to 4 goals on any given night? There's a lot of talk about how we can't seem to recruit a goalie with all the advantages the UND program has, but what about recruiting some bona-fide scorers that can get us to 4 goals in a game more often than not?

We also have four underclass defensemen and a junior coming off a major leg injury in front of Eids. They've played fairly well, but the point about Chay eating up ice time is huge in that regard.

We have given up the 2nd least goals in the conf. - the only team with fewer GA is Wisco, which has played 2 less conf games.

Our overall team GA is 2.25 (54 GA in 24 games)

http://www.uscho.com/standings/index.php?s...wc&gender=m

Not bad for a team with a shaky goalie and a bunch of young D and the best player in the country sitting in the press box :ohmy:

It's remarkable that Sat. was the first game they lost by more than 1 goal - pretty good coaching if you ask me.

One game does not a season make - everyone should read this and take a chill pill.

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=68950

We have given up the 2nd least goals in the conf. - the only team with fewer GA is Wisco, which has played 2 less conf games.

Our overall team GA is 2.25 (54 GA in 24 games)

Correct, but in most of those games when we've only given up 2 or 3 goals, we only scored 1 or 2.

BE is what he is...solid. Won't steal you a game and will give up a soft one most nights.

We just don't produce as many goals as we should with the talent that's out on the ice.

Correct, but in most of those games when we've only given up 2 or 3 goals, we only scored 1 or 2.

BE is what he is...solid. Won't steal you a game and will give up a soft one most nights.

We just don't produce as many goals as we should with the talent that's out on the ice.

Agree that his stats aren't that bad - Also agree that we aren't scoring like we should - The idea that our 4 lines would wear out our opponents hasn't really panned out - I think we need more blue chip scorers and less role players.

Back to Eids - He's not a horrible goalie, just one that won't get us to where we want to go. I haven't seen anyone who gives back goals and momentum faster than Eidsness - It's the timing and soft goals that kill me. My point about Eidsness is that when we recruited him, we were in a position to offer an incomming goalie a chance to start for 4 years for the best team in college hockey and potentially play for a National Championship every year. I can't think of a better spot for any goalie to come into a program ever. We should have had blue chippers beating down our door. I don't think Eidsness's play is what most fans had hoped for - He seems to have peaked -

I think we need more blue chip scorers and less role players.

:ohmy:

This is like a never-ending debate. If we have too many players that stay only 2 years, then we hear that we need more 4yr role players that develop experience. If we have too many role players, then we need to recruit more blue chippers. I think Hakstol has done a good job of recruiting a mix of both.

In regards to Eidsness, yes he's had a rough stretch here of giving up an untimely/soft goal recently, but to say that he has peaked when he has only 1.5 years under his belt is a reach IMO. Less than a year ago he was backstopping this team to a MacNaughton Cup. I haven't given up hope on him or Dell yet. I wouldn't mind seeing Dell get a game this weekend just to see what he can do in a hostile opposing building.

Agree that his stats aren't that bad - Also agree that we aren't scoring like we should - The idea that our 4 lines would wear out our opponents hasn't really panned out - I think we need more blue chip scorers and less role players.

Back to Eids - He's not a horrible goalie, just one that won't get us to where we want to go. I haven't seen anyone who gives back goals and momentum faster than Eidsness - It's the timing and soft goals that kill me. My point about Eidsness is that when we recruited him, we were in a position to offer an incomming goalie a chance to start for 4 years for the best team in college hockey and potentially play for a National Championship every year. I can't think of a better spot for any goalie to come into a program ever. We should have had blue chippers beating down our door. I don't think Eidsness's play is what most fans had hoped for - He seems to have peaked -

Who did we miss out on that's in the same class? Hjelle?

I feel sorry for Gothberg when he gets here - one bad goal/game...:ohmy:

Agree that his stats aren't that bad. It's the timing and soft goals that kill me.

That is basically the answer I get when BE comes into the conversation when talking to other UND hockey fans...can't stop the puck when it matters.

I didn't follow the boards as close last year, but I don't remember so much BE bashing. Maybe I'm wrong? Things will turn around and if they don't this year, then they don't. Teams/players have off years. The often used "Sophomore Slump" term applies nicely here with BE. I agree he's let in some soft goals, but what goalie doesn't? Winning solves all problems.

I didn't follow the boards as close last year, but I don't remember so much BE bashing. Maybe I'm wrong? Things will turn around and if they don't this year, then they don't. Teams/players have off years. The often used "Sophomore Slump" term applies nicely here with BE. I agree he's let in some soft goals, but what goalie doesn't? Winning solves all problems.

...and not letting in soft goals leads to winning...:ohmy:

Instead of bashing our sophomore goaltender, why don't we bash a senior wearing a letter who has failed to step up in big games....Mr. Vande Velde. He's been a dud this year and only has as many points as he does from getting to exclusively play on scoring lines with other guys who put the puck in the net. He's going to put up his worst number since his freshman year if he doesn't turn it around quick. Yeah, he'll win more faceoffs than he loses, but it hasn't led to the goals we should expect from him.

Time for Chris to take ownership of our offense...

Instead of bashing our sophomore goaltender, why don't we bash a senior wearing a letter who has failed to step up in big games....Mr. Vande Velde. He's been a dud this year and only has as many points as he does from getting to exclusively play on scoring lines with other guys who put the puck in the net. He's going to put up his worst number since his freshman year if he doesn't turn it around quick. Yeah, he'll win more faceoffs than he loses, but it hasn't led to the goals we should expect from him.

Time for Chris to take ownership of our offense...

I believe you're right as far as the leadership is concerned, but....

Greg's can't finish. Frattin may be just getting used to the new team but he's not finishing...

NO ONE is finishing.

Goon hates it when I blame the forwards, but that's what the problem is. Hakstol, with 1 minute left last night, drew up a play for the boys that would put them in a great position to score.

IT WORKED.

What happened? Frattin hit the skate of Scrivens and the game ended. If Frattin elevated his shot even 6 inches, that would have tied the game.

FINISHING. It's where we are struggling.

Leadership is where we're missing Genoway the most, imo.

Leadership is where we're missing Genoway the most, imo.

I don't like excuses and this team hasn't really made any excuses for their play but losing Genoway is like losing one of the SCSU trolls Roe or Lasch, or Rhet R from DU, Jordan S from Minnesota. Look at DU last year after they lost their top forward Bozak, they were never the same, not making excuses but it is what is.

Goon hates it when I blame the forwards, but that's what the problem is. Hakstol, with 1 minute left last night, drew up a play for the boys that would put them in a great position to score.

Tisk, tisk, tisk, :) I don't know what do we do? I have to be honest with you as an old Lineback, I am not crazy about field goal kickers or goalies.

My friend Dan is right VV play has been a disappointment and he needs to step it up. They all do.

Good idea. I thought the Sioux played very well with the exception of the unfortunate start of the game.

The second period is a great example of what happens when you work your butts off, but don't have anyone that can score. Add on an 0 for 2010 power play and this is the result you get. I hope this is the end of the "all 4 year role players, no blue chippers" team philosophy. What I wouldn't give for an Oshie, Toews, or Parise to put the puck in the net. We are in desperate need of scorers. I hate to say it, but I don't see us getting much better this year - We are clearly working hard - we just never get timely scoring or goaltending.