SiouxSports.com Forum

Lamoureuxs Olympic Run

Brucesky02

If "winning" silver means nothing to you - why wouldn't you just throw your medal in the garbage? The next thing you say is you'd put it in a safe - so it obviously has SOME value - even to you :D

The team was trying to WIN gold - they lost and took the silver - AN OLYMPIC SILVER MEDAL!!! (It's not exactly a pink participation ribbon - maybe you can brush of your "embarrasment" and show us your OLYMPIC Silver Medal? :silly: )

It's an entirely honorable consolation prize for their efforts AND an incentive for 2014! Congrats to TeamUSA on their effort (Hopefully the L girls made some nice contacts they can bring back to GF as well)

I figured someone would get riled up about what I wrote. That's fine.

And no, I wouldn't toss it in the garbage OR pawn it off for cash. That would be disrespectful of the Olympics and of the team I played on. But I certainly wouldn't celebrate and be happy about it. I suppose in five or ten years, I would feel differently than the day after, but I still would regret not winning what I set out to win and that was Gold. I am sure the girls on that team are not in a happy or celebratory mood right now and I do not blame them.

I guess all I want is for USA Hockey (USA anything, really) to not settle for anything less than Gold and not be satisfied with Silver or Bronze. Just as I have high standards for our Fighting Sioux teams. And I think the Women's Hockey program will continue to win international tournaments and will be back in the hunt in 2014 in Russia. But that doesn't make the losses suck any less. Again, just my opinion. Feel free to flame away if you wish.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured someone would get riled up about what I wrote. That's fine.

And no, I wouldn't toss it in the garbage OR pawn it off for cash. That would be disrespectful of the Olympics and of the team I played on. But I certainly wouldn't celebrate and be happy about it. I suppose in five or ten years, I would feel differently than the day after, but I still would regret not winning what I set out to win and that was Gold. I am sure the girls on that team are not in a happy or celebratory mood right now and I do not blame them.

I guess all I want is for USA Hockey (USA anything, really) to not settle for anything less than Gold and not be satisfied with Silver or Bronze. Just as I have high standards for our Fighting Sioux teams. And I think the Women's Hockey program will continue to win international tournaments and will be back in the hunt in 2014 in Russia. But that doesn't make the losses suck any less. Again, just my opinion. Feel free to flame away if you wish.

I wouldn't "FLAME" you based on your opinion...but it's just that! Your opinion. YOU have "high standards" - BASED ON WHAT? Actual athletic competition or just what you've seen on TV?

Have you competed in the Olympics or played in an NCAA Championship game or even ever been a marginal member of a High School team that played for something so small as a state championship? (Or ever had ANY athletic success in your life?) There is a level of accomplishment just GETTING to the big game that should be respected. Winning is great - (but it's NOT everything)

Losing doesn't make you a LOSER - only how you react to it does. As an athlete it should make you strive for better - as a FAN who can do nothing but criticize....so go ahead and bitch littleman!

We're ALL BE WAITING TO SEE what YOU do next ?:):D We can't WAIT for you to jump right back on the bandwagon when you team starts "WINNING" again to your level of NERD-Satisfaction!

I wouldn't "FLAME" you based on your opinion...but it's just that! Your opinion. YOU have "high standards" - BASED ON WHAT? Actual athletic competition or just what you've seen on TV?

Have you competed in the Olympics or played in an NCAA Championship game or even ever been a marginal member of a High School team that played for something so small as a state championship? (Or ever had ANY athletic success in your life?) There is a level of accomplishment just GETTING to the big game that should be respected. Winning is great - (but it's NOT everything)

Losing doesn't make you a LOSER - only how you react to it does. As an athlete it should make you strive for better - as a FAN who can do nothing but criticize....so go ahead and bitch littleman!

We're ALL BE WAITING TO SEE what YOU do next ?:):D We can't WAIT for you to jump right back on the bandwagon when you team starts "WINNING" again to your level of NERD-Satisfaction!

Well, if having to have played organized sports at a high level is a prerequisite to posting on this forum, then that disqualifies a large percentage of the people registered on here. So I will leave that particular can of worms where you left it. :glare:

My opinion (and that is ALL it is) is that finishing Runner-Up in team sports sucks. And I believe that to be true. And most of the people on here that bleed Green and White also believe that. We have high standards for our Fighting Sioux teams (hockey and football in particular). And when those standards are not met, we are disappointed. Not ashamed of our team, but disappointed. The only time I am ever ashamed of any of my teams is when they don't put forth the necessary effort to win and don't give themselves a chance to win. I don't think that was the case with the USA Women's Hockey Team on Thursday and it usually isn't the case with our Fighting Sioux teams. And I understand the inherent unpredictability and cruelty of sports; sometimes it just doesn't happen. But when you get that close to sports immortality and fall short, it is a very bitter pill to swallow.

Of course, if you take the Duckies and Bunnies approach (as you are right now), it is unacceptable to be disappointed in losing because "they got there and that is all that matters". If you REALLY think that the USA Women's Team is not disappointed in Thursday's outcome, then you are the one that doesn't get it. And I REALLY hope that none of the teams that I support will start taking that approach to their respective crafts. And I REALLY don't think they will, because unlike most of us, they are world-class athletes who expect the absolute best of themselves.

And please don't EVER call me a bandwagon jumper. I have endured plenty of bad seasons from my teams (Vikings, Sioux, Twins, etc). I stick with my teams whether they win or lose. I am still a Minnesota Vikings fan after all these years and I always will be. I will always cheer for the Fighting Sioux in all sports. I will always cheer for Team USA in all tournaments in all sports. But that doesn't mean I won't express my frustration over tough losses. That is part of being a fan. And if you can't understand that, then you just don't get it.

My 2 cents.

Well, if having to have played organized sports at a high level is a prerequisite to posting on this forum, then that disqualifies a large percentage of the people registered on here. So I will leave that particular can of worms where you left it. :)

My opinion (and that is ALL it is) is that finishing Runner-Up in team sports sucks. And I believe that to be true. And most of the people on here that bleed Green and White also believe that. We have high standards for our Fighting Sioux teams (hockey and football in particular). And when those standards are not met, we are disappointed. Not ashamed of our team, but disappointed. The only time I am ever ashamed of any of my teams is when they don't put forth the necessary effort to win and don't give themselves a chance to win. I don't think that was the case with the USA Women's Hockey Team on Thursday and it usually isn't the case with our Fighting Sioux teams. And I understand the inherent unpredictability and cruelty of sports; sometimes it just doesn't happen. But when you get that close to sports immortality and fall short, it is a very bitter pill to swallow.

Of course, if you take the Duckies and Bunnies approach (as you are right now), it is unacceptable to be disappointed in losing because "they got there and that is all that matters". If you REALLY think that the USA Women's Team is not disappointed in Thursday's outcome, then you are the one that doesn't get it. And I REALLY hope that none of the teams that I support will start taking that approach to their respective crafts. And I REALLY don't think they will, because unlike most of us, they are world-class athletes who expect the absolute best of themselves.

And please don't EVER call me a bandwagon jumper. I have endured plenty of bad seasons from my teams (Vikings, Sioux, Twins, etc). I stick with my teams whether they win or lose. I am still a Minnesota Vikings fan after all these years and I always will be. I will always cheer for the Fighting Sioux in all sports. I will always cheer for Team USA in all tournaments in all sports. But that doesn't mean I won't express my frustration over tough losses. That is part of being a fan. And if you can't understand that, then you just don't get it.

My 2 cents.

Playing a competitive sport on ANY level might at least give you an idea how a team can play their BALLS OFF and still lose but not feel the need to feel bad about it. I'd say the ladies did the same (metaphorically!) but don't have anything to be ashamed of like YOU'RE implying. You're a FANBOY - great - they're the athletes who actually PLAYED the game and lost. Watching from the outside and trying to set the "rules" makes you a judgemental LOSER and who cares about your opinion!

Playing a competitive sport on ANY level might at least give you an idea how a team can play their BALLS OFF and still lose but not feel the need to feel bad about it. I'd say the ladies did the same (metaphorically!) but don't have anything to be ashamed of like YOU'RE implying. You're a FANBOY - great - they're the athletes who actually PLAYED the game and lost. Watching from the outside and trying to set the "rules" makes you a judgemental LOSER and who cares about your opinion!

You are really good at putting words in my mouth. I AM NOT trying to set any "rules" for anybody. I also am NOT implying that the USA Women's Hockey Team has anything to be ashamed of. All I said is that finishing "Runner-Up" in team sports sucks, whatever tournament we are talking about. Obviously, you don't feel the same way about it. That is fine, but if you want to convince me that I am wrong and you are right, calling me a "loser" and a "fanboy" isn't going to get it done. Got it? :D

And like I said before, if playing competitive sports (not pick-up games with friends or neighborhood kids) is a requirement for posting on here or anyplace else, then I think we should shut this forum down and do background checks on everyone that has an account here so we can weed out the "Fanboys" like myself. What I am saying is no different from what other people on here say after our Fighting Sioux hockey team loses badly in the Frozen Four. But in your myopic, "duckies and bunnies" world, any expression of frustration by any fan about any loss at any time is unacceptable and inappropriate. If anything, YOU are being judgemental here, not me. And you are just as much of a "fanboy" as I am. :)

You are really good at putting words in my mouth. I AM NOT trying to set any "rules" for anybody. I also am NOT implying that the USA Women's Hockey Team has anything to be ashamed of. All I said is that finishing "Runner-Up" in team sports sucks, whatever tournament we are talking about. Obviously, you don't feel the same way about it. That is fine, but if you want to convince me that I am wrong and you are right, calling me a "loser" and a "fanboy" isn't going to get it done. Got it? :glare:

And like I said before, if playing competitive sports (not pick-up games with friends or neighborhood kids) is a requirement for posting on here or anyplace else, then I think we should shut this forum down and do background checks on everyone that has an account here so we can weed out the "Fanboys" like myself. What I am saying is no different from what other people on here say after our Fighting Sioux hockey team loses badly in the Frozen Four. But in your myopic, "duckies and bunnies" world, any expression of frustration by any fan about any loss at any time is unacceptable and inappropriate. If anything, YOU are being judgemental here, not me. And you are just as much of a "fanboy" as I am. :D

why would I judge someone with no cred YET such high standards, I don't know....OH! DINGGG!!!! Hey - your PizzaROLLS are done! (mmmmm-pizzarolls!)

So...watching todays Olympic Gold Medal game....AFTER you wipe the Pepperoni grease off your face - you'd walk up to Zach Parise and tell him how "let down" you are his MONSTER effort with :23 seconds left to send that game into overtime that wasn't "QUITE" enough becuase the USA ultimately lost? WOW! You have no appreciation of sports - at ALL! I'm going to guess you were a major contributor (if not the starter) for the eternally-MORONIC "FIRE HAKSTOL! Thread" in the main hockey forum...WAIT!!

Here's a flash....

Your Mozzarella sticks are ready!!! (Just in time for the WCHA playoffs FANBOY~ :) - ENJOY!!!!...mmmm.,,,CHEWY!)

why would I judge someone with no cred YET such high standards, I don't know....OH! DINGGG!!!! Hey - your PizzaROLLS are done! (mmmmm-pizzarolls!)

So...watching todays Olympic Gold Medal game....AFTER you wipe the Pepperoni grease off your face - you'd walk up to Zach Parise and tell him how "let down" you are his MONSTER effort with :23 seconds left to send that game into overtime that wasn't "QUITE" enough becuase the USA ultimately lost? WOW! You have no appreciation of sports - at ALL! I'm going to guess you were a major contributor (if not the starter) for the eternally-MORONIC "FIRE HAKSTOL! Thread" in the main hockey forum...WAIT!!

Here's a flash....

Your Mozzarella sticks are ready!!! (Just in time for the WCHA playoffs FANBOY~ :) - ENJOY!!!!...mmmm.,,,CHEWY!)

You know, this post is so funny I can't even get worked up about it. You really should think about doing some comedy writing for Jimmy Kimmel (he could use the help to get into the big time). Or Jay Leno, now that he's back on late night television. Or you can just stick around here and keep slamming the Bison trolls that pollute the forum. The choice is yours.

Anyway, back on topic. I hate to break this to you, but the silver medal finish by the men's team did NOT bother me all that much. They were not expected to even get close to a medal and they proved everybody wrong, especially those smug Canadian fans who think we shouldn't even have a team. So finishing second when most of the "experts" picked them to finish fourth or fifth or even lower is a tremendous accomplishment.

And I also hate to break this to you, but in today's Heraldo article about the game, Parise expressed his disappointment in not winning the gold (which is what I have been TRYING to tell you). I suppose you think Parise should just be thankful for "being there" and that a silver medal ought to be "good enough". Opps, it looks like you are wrong after all. The best athletes in the world are not satisfied with being second best. They want the gold. And they are not happy with not getting it. In other words, they don't buy into the "duckies and bunnies" doctrine that you have embraced.

And now, if you will excuse me, this "fanboy" has other business to attend to. Goodnight and good luck.

1st, congrats to all of the US athletes that completed in the Olympic games. You all worked hard, and I am proud of everyone.

2nd, see my sig line. :)

EDIT: While getting a silver medal is better than not getting a medal at all, I didn't see any of the US players (mens) smiling when they had the medal placed around their neck.

• 2 months later...

Lamoureux to fly with Thunderbirds

Local Olympian Monique Lamoureux will be flying with the Thunderbirds next week when the Air Force flying team arrives for the air show at Grand Forks Air Force Base, a base official said Friday.

Second Lt. Anastasia Wasem, a public affairs officer, said the base nominated Lamoureux and others in the community for a ride-a-long as part of the Thunderbirds’ “hometown heroes” program.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I didn't see anything on it either. I was hoping there would be something. I believe the UND Varsity Bards were singing the National Anthem as well...if they did in fact sing, they weren't shown either.

hmm. wonder why FSN, the station that carries Gopher hockey, didn't show any of that???