SiouxSports.com Forum

Major Winter Storm for Christmas Weekend

fightingsioux4life

Just an FYI for everyone who hasn't been following the news, but pretty much the entire Upper Midwest (the Dakotas, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin) will be slammed by a major winter storm during the upcoming Christmas weekend. Here is a link to the Grand Forks NWS Forecast Office web site and a link to the Winter Weather Monitor Page:

Grand Forks NWS Forecast Office

Winter Weather Monitor Page

Simply put, if you don't have to travel, don't. Stay safe everyone. I want to be able to banter with you on hockey and whatever else in the future! :silly:

I made it to Burnsville last night travel was slow & many accidents & cars in ditch

Minn http://www.511mn.org/default.asp?area=statewide

For ND http://www.dot.nd.gov/travel-info/

Thanks for letting us know you got there ok. I was worried about you. Here in Cincinnati, panic runs amock when there's 2-3 inches of snow predicted......amateurs. :silly:

This link will put it in perspective. [Check out this link]

This just came over the wire:

No Travel advisory for the entire state of ND excluding the northwest corner (Not including Mckenzie, Mountrail, Burke, Williams and Divide County). Maybe Sprig can give us an update of the weather.

I-29 is closed in north dakota, south dakota extending from the iowa to candian border.

Well, it's -20 here with a wind chill of -40, but at least it's sunny so I guess I'll take it over what you guys are dealing with.

I guess another day snowed in with family wouldn't be so bad, I'm sure nobody is going to run out of food today! :silly:

Be careful everyone going home, whenever that turns out to be.

I measured about a foot of snow outside my place around 1pm this afternoon. That is since 11pm last night. The snow is expected to continue tonight into Saturday morning before winding down. The one positive with this storm is that the winds are in the 25 to 35 mph range instead of into the 40-45 mph range like some previous storms we've had.

I measured about a foot of snow outside my place around 1pm this afternoon. That is since 11pm last night. The snow is expected to continue tonight into Saturday morning before winding down. The one positive with this storm is that the winds are in the 25 to 35 mph range instead of into the 40-45 mph range like some previous storms we've had.

If you're in eastern ND give it time- 35-45mph out west.

Tired of Scooping Snow. Just got back from my wife's family in Jackson , Mn. Took me forty five minutes to drive 18 miles. Seems like we have gotten about 10 inches the past two days with more on the way, Wind blowing about 25 - 30 miles an hour. At least we got back before the sundown. Suppose the only place that will be expected to be open will be the ICE ARENA. No travel is advised tonight in our area.

Minot area - it has hovered around 14 degrees today..wind is ridiculous...at one point, we couldn't see the neighbors that live half of a mile away (cross country). We had plenty of food since everyone was supposed to come here and no one could make it. Gotta love ND weather...i think my family is going to try again on Sunday for Christmas. I hope you are all safe and warm...if you are driving back from somewhere..be safe....also if you are leaving later, try to post on Siouxsports and let us know you made it...I would feel better!

My localized snow total since 11pm Christmas Eve is 16 inches as of 7pm today. Add that to the 3.5 inches we got Wednesday night-Thursday morning and that's a storm total of 19.5 inches. Amounts will vary from place to place depending on where the heavy snow bands set up. Grand Forks has been in the firing line pretty much all day long. No travel is advised in Grand Forks right now. Unless you have a four-weel drive vehicle, I wouldn't even try to drive until tomorrow afternoon when things are supposed to calm down and we can get some of these streets cleared off.

My localized snow total since 11pm Christmas Eve is 16 inches as of 7pm today. Add that to the 3.5 inches we got Wednesday night-Thursday morning and that's a storm total of 19.5 inches. Amounts will vary from place to place depending on where the heavy snow bands set up. Grand Forks has been in the firing line pretty much all day long. No travel is advised in Grand Forks right now. Unless you have a four-weel drive vehicle, I wouldn't even try to drive until tomorrow afternoon when things are supposed to calm down and we can get some of these streets cleared off.

DAMN!!! I'm glad I pay a flat rate to my snow removal guys.

It will be interesting to see how much snow we get, the forcast kept getting worse and worse today.

According to this article http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/145606/ ...alot...24.9 inches to be exact. I know I did my fair share of blowing/shoveling snow today!

"A statement released this afternoon, which contains storm snowfall totals as of this morning, shows Grand Forks saw the most snow in the region.

In North Dakota, Grand Forks is at the top of the list with 23.9 inches recorded. Hoppes said a measurement taken at noon at the office showed an even 24 inches since Wednesday night."

Interesting how that article gives out information as if it is speaking for all of North Dakota when all the towns they gave snow totals for are all located in Eastern ND. Minot got 24+ inches and Bismarck got quite a bit too.

Looks as though Minot got hit pretty hard as well. Here is a link to the Bismarck Tribune which shows snow fall totals...

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/news/local/...1cc4c002e0.html

According to this article http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/145606/ ...alot...24.9 inches to be exact. I know I did my fair share of blowing/shoveling snow today!

"A statement released this afternoon, which contains storm snowfall totals as of this morning, shows Grand Forks saw the most snow in the region.

In North Dakota, Grand Forks is at the top of the list with 23.9 inches recorded. Hoppes said a measurement taken at noon at the office showed an even 24 inches since Wednesday night."

I have been measuring it at home since Wednesday night and my total is close to the NWS Office at 25 inches. The last storm in Grand Forks with this much snow that I can recall was January 6th-8th, 1989 when we got about two feet of snow from Friday Noon thru Sunday Morning. I was in Junior High and it was awesome to have that much snow to work with when building snow forts! ;) Sometimes I wish I was a kid again and this is one of those times.