SiouxSports.com Forum

We have lost a fellow SS member / sioux fan today

AZSIOUX

I have also registered at this site for the specific reason of paying tribute to Troy. Was he passionate about Sioux Hockey? Two years ago he actually took a swing at me when I suggested that maybe . . . just maybe . . . T.J. Oshie could look to pass a bit more often. What makes this story interesting is not Troy's passion for the game, but the fact that he was the best man in my wedding--and the Godfather of one of my kids. Needless to say, the words "Gee, I never know where I stand with Troy" have rarely been uttered.

And on a side note . . . as a born-and-raised North Dakotan, a UND alumni, a 20-year Grand Forks resident, a hockey season ticket holder and one of the most rabid Sioux Hockey supporters on the planet, I think the University could do worse than to dedicate a moment of silence in his honor before the first regular season home game this year. The man quite literally wore a Fighting Sioux cap into the final minutes of his life, and I think they owe it to him in exchange for his loyalty. Just a thought, if any of you University-types are listening.

I have called Troy my friend for over 27 years now, and it will be difficult to move on from this horrible nightmare of a month he and his family have been forced to endure. But when I finally figure out a way to return to a semi-normal life, I vow to honor Troy in the only way I know how: by crushing a plate of gravy fries, pummeling my brain with suds, and making fun of a chubby, small-town stripper. The man led a simple life, but you can't say he didn't have fun. And see a lot of boobies.

So what is Troy doing in Heaven now? I have a few theories. For starters, he's probably laying down an F-bomb riddled tirade about the Fighting Sioux nickname to Ralph Englestad, who is thinking "Damn, I like this kid." And I know for a fact he's already offered his middle finger to every asshole in Heaven wearing a Phil Kessel jersey. You can pretty much take that to the bank. Other than this, he likely spends his time channel surfing his NHL Center Ice package looking for former Sioux players--but on a much nicer TV than he had in his living room.

So here's to Troy: the most stubborn, opinionated, hungry and bald son of a bitch I ever had the priviledge of being arrested with. The hole you left in my life will never be filled. Unless you can fix it so the Sioux win a National Title this year.

I miss you, bro.

that was priceless... I'm sorry for your personal loss and very sorry for the Sioux nation loss. A moment of silence would be appropriate and a monument would be nice too! :sad: RIP TROUXPER I hope he has already started his petition in heaven to save the name and logo!!!

... and making fun of a chubby, small-town stripper.

Since you opened the door. . .

My favorite Troy story involves a seedy, out-of-the-way "gentlemen's club." One fine night, a group of us were there when a dancer came out who was older than average (and that's not saying much for this place). She began her routine and without missing a beat, in a much too loud voice, Troy said, "Wow! I think she was around when the Dead Sea was only sick." Needless to say, I laughed so hard I almost puked and the lady in question threatened to put a stipper heal through Troy's eye. It was a moment I will never forget.

So what is Troy doing in Heaven now? I have a few theories. For starters, he's probably laying down an F-bomb riddled tirade about the Fighting Sioux nickname to Ralph Englestad, who is thinking "Damn, I like this kid."

No doubt! The only logical reason I can see God calling him home so young is because Ralph saw the Fighting Sioux name slipping away and he called for the best backup he could get. Troy got the nod because Ralph needs a die-hard Sioux fan who isn't afraid to speak his mind. I would like to think of Troy as the Obi-Wan Kanobi of Sioux hockey. Strike him down and he will become more powerful than you can imagine. I think he is going to rain Sioux karma this year.

With that in mind. . .

I think the University could do worse than to dedicate a moment of silence in his honor before the first regular season home game this year.

I couldn't agree more. :sad:

I have also registered at this site for the specific reason of paying tribute to Troy. Was he passionate about Sioux Hockey? Two years ago he actually took a swing at me when I suggested that maybe . . . just maybe . . . T.J. Oshie could look to pass a bit more often. What makes this story interesting is not Troy's passion for the game, but the fact that he was the best man in my wedding--and the Godfather of one of my kids. Needless to say, the words "Gee, I never know where I stand with Troy" have rarely been uttered.

And on a side note . . . as a born-and-raised North Dakotan, a UND alumni, a 20-year Grand Forks resident, a hockey season ticket holder and one of the most rabid Sioux Hockey supporters on the planet, I think the University could do worse than to dedicate a moment of silence in his honor before the first regular season home game this year. The man quite literally wore a Fighting Sioux cap into the final minutes of his life, and I think they owe it to him in exchange for his loyalty. Just a thought, if any of you University-types are listening.

I have called Troy my friend for over 27 years now, and it will be difficult to move on from this horrible nightmare of a month he and his family have been forced to endure. But when I finally figure out a way to return to a semi-normal life, I vow to honor Troy in the only way I know how: by crushing a plate of gravy fries, pummeling my brain with suds, and making fun of a chubby, small-town stripper. The man led a simple life, but you can't say he didn't have fun. And see a lot of boobies.

So what is Troy doing in Heaven now? I have a few theories. For starters, he's probably laying down an F-bomb riddled tirade about the Fighting Sioux nickname to Ralph Englestad, who is thinking "Damn, I like this kid." And I know for a fact he's already offered his middle finger to every asshole in Heaven wearing a Phil Kessel jersey. You can pretty much take that to the bank. Other than this, he likely spends his time channel surfing his NHL Center Ice package looking for former Sioux players--but on a much nicer TV than he had in his living room.

So here's to Troy: the most stubborn, opinionated, hungry and bald son of a bitch I ever had the priviledge of being arrested with. The hole you left in my life will never be filled. Unless you can fix it so the Sioux win a National Title this year.

I miss you, bro.

That was one of the best tributes to a person I have ever read. No exaggeration. I lost a good friend a couple of years ago and it was very, very hard to accept and live with. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

I met Troy at a pre-game tailgate party outside the Old Ralph several years ago (I think it was in 2006) and saw him at various football and hockey games after that. He was always willing to talk about sports and the whole nickname issue. He was very passionate about our hockey program and always felt the team would do better than the naysayers said before the season started. And I will miss his policing of SS.com; absolutely NO ONE was better at keeping the trolls in line!

Goodbye Troy. You are gone, but not forgotten.

That was one of the best tributes to a person I have ever read. No exaggeration. I lost a good friend a couple of years ago and it was very, very hard to accept and live with. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

I met Troy at a pre-game tailgate party outside the Old Ralph several years ago (I think it was in 2006) and saw him at various football and hockey games after that. He was always willing to talk about sports and the whole nickname issue. He was very passionate about our hockey program and always felt the team would do better than the naysayers said before the season started. And I will miss his policing of SS.com; absolutely NO ONE was better at keeping the trolls in line!

Goodbye Troy. You are gone, but not forgotten.

It was on a Saturday right before the regional final, Holy Cross had upset the Gophers and the Sioux took Michigan apart on that Friday. It was cold as hell and we had an absolute blast, I'll never forget it. Good food, good beverages, good friends.

Does anyone know where Troy sat at the Ralph? He looks very familiar.

Thoughts to the family for sure. He sounded like a hell of a guy.

If I remember right it was the upper bowl somewhere. One of the lower numbered 300 sections I do believe....correct me if I'm wrong.

If I remember right it was the upper bowl somewhere. One of the lower numbered 300 sections I do believe....correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. Troy's seats were in the last row of the section next to the press box, on the end where the Sioux shoot twice. 303?

I think he was in 302 - at least that's where I used to sit and he was behind us for many games. SIOUXELEVENS would surely know as he sat behind us as well.

SIOUXELEVENS is just two seats to the right of me, and Troy sat two rows behind us. He did not have those seats last year though. Section 302

Damn, damn, damn.............

I haven't been around due to internet access problems and just heard today about Troy's death. I'm so sorry for his family and friends and for us, his SS.com comrades who will miss him greatly. We're all going to miss him friend, foe, troll and skippy. I, too, met Troy at that 2006 tailgater and have exchanged more than a few jokes with him 'behind the scenes'. I feel really sad right now, so.... later.

i will echo jim's sentiments and say that the TRIOUXPER was the voice for those who didn't speak on this forum. it wasn't hard to figure out where he stood on most points :sad: and it was nice to have have him here on ss.com. the stories about Troy are wonderful, and he will surely be missed. i hope the TRIOUXPER enjoys his new season ticket seats this year, and i hope we all take his advice to heart when posting. Talk to your new neighbor for us Troy, tell him a few bounces here or there wouldn't hurt ;) .

What a terrible lose for the Siouxsports community. :sad: I worked alongside Troy for the last 8 years. It's hard to not get close to someone when you spend that much time together. Like others have said; you always knew exactly where Troy stood on any subject(right or wrong) and he would strongly defend it. When I had something to say about a post on this board; many times Troy would post it. Someone else said he was a voice for many. How true! We spent a lot of time(while not working) discussing hockey and hunting. I will miss his insight and opinions and I will miss the man.

My job, coaching baseball, and playing softball have all taken their toll on the amount of time I've been able to spend on the board these days. I'm stunned to read the news of THETRIOUXPER passing away. I met Troy several times and spoke with him maybe a year or two ago when we ran into each other at The Italian Moon after a Sioux game.

My thoughts are prayers go out to Troy's family during this time. May God bless all of you and may God bless Troy.

• 4 years later...