SiouxSports.com Forum

We have lost a fellow SS member / sioux fan today

AZSIOUX

I didnt know him personally but was asked to make a brief post regrading the passing of Troy Riedlinger of Grand Forks who some of you may know and others may not. Otheriwse known here on SS at THETRIOUXPER. He passed away after a battle with Cancer. Agree, disagree, agree to disagree is what we do on this board but one thing we all have in common is the love for sioux hockey and sioux athetics in general so all the best to Troy's family and friends.

There will be a service 7pm Monday, Rydell GM Auto Center Showroom - Reception following at Italion Moon immediate follwing service

I didnt know him personally but was asked to make a brief post regrading the passing of Troy Riedlinger of Grand Forks who some of you may know and others may not. Otheriwse known here on SS at THETRIOUXPER. He passed away after a battle with Cancer. Agree, disagree, agree to disagree is what we do on this board but one thing we all have in common is the love for sioux hockey and sioux athetics in general so all the best to Troy's family and friends.

There will be a service 7pm Monday, Rydell GM Auto Center Showroom - Reception following at Italion Moon immediate follwing service

RIP. Our thoughts go to the family

I did happen to know Troy personally. We went on a few road trips together, watched some NHL hockey, drank a few beers (and then a few more). He was one of the nicest, funniest guys I've ever met and his passion for Sioux hockey was unparalleled. Have a good one Troy, we'll all miss ya. Rest in peace buddy.

:)

I had the good fortune to get to know Troy over the years as well. It was always fun seeing him on our trips up to REA or at various other venues throughout the league. Fighting Sioux hockey has lost one of their most passionate fans today. You will be missed Troy. Rest in peace my friend.

Son of a gun. Son of a gun. Here is more proof that the Good Lord often snaps the truly great guys from us while they are still young. The Good Lord must have needed Troy for some big job upstairs.

So, The Triouxper (IIRC still under suspension here for no good reason other than for voicing his opinion with a reasoned degree of passion and force) is now telling jokes to and playing hockey with the Angels, is showing them how to properly devour a chicken wing without choking on the bones, is kicking their hind ends in a beer guzzling contest, and is no doubt showing them another thing or two about living. If you ain't living, then you are dying, and The Triouxper lived his life every day to the fullest right up until his last day. Now, he has the greatest gift. Eternal Life. I am saddened mostly for those of us who remain behind, lockstepping our way toward the Judgment Day.

Troy has fought the battle and has won the war. When He offered His Hand, Troy, never to turn anyone away, did not turn Him away. Now, The Triouxper is living large.

My sympathy goes out to all of his family and his friends, and to all of us who remain for our tasks here on earth. Treat yourselves well today. Get yourself some chicken wings. Have a laugh. Toast a brewski. Tell a joke. Let your facial hair grow for a few days. Look at a broad from the Iron Range with desire. Defend the honor and the tradition of the Fighting Sioux. Hold your heads high. This is what Troy would have done today, and this is what he will expect of all of us to do each and every day until we meet him again on that Day.

Troy will now rain his love down on us all from his perch high above. Get ready. Here it comes. Eternal life and perpetual light. Here is saying that the Sioux win the NC this year, and that

The Triouxper will be pulling some strings from up above to get it done.

• Upvote 1

I wish I didn't have to start this by correcting a misstatement from above, but THETRIOUXPER was a member in very good standing who was actively participating in discussions right up until a couple months ago. He did have strong opinions about how the forum should be moderated, and wasn't shy with them :), but his frequent sharing of those with me was actually quite instrumental in the big cleanup of the board in early '08.

I never knew Troy, the person, but knew THETRIOUXPER (he liked all caps), the poster, well. In addition to him being a very active member of the community (top 40 poster, despite really only being around in force from 05-08), I also had a fair amount of private communication with him, as mentioned above.

He was an extremely passionate Sioux fan, but was somewhat unique in has staunch defense of the athletes. He did more than any non-moderator I can think of to try get people to think about what they were posting and to realize that their anonymous criticisms were about real people. Nothing frustrated THETRIOUXPER more than to see fans throw players under the bus after a tough loss, knowing that the players already felt far worse than any fan could imagine, and he was quick to let those fans know that. He cared about the game, but cared more about the people in the Fighting Sioux community than whether a game was won or lost.

I've missed him as we've heard less from him over the past year, and am truly saddened to hear he is no longer with us. Our community lost a passionate individual with a very unique and valuable contribution, and we will be the poorer for it. He will be missed.

CHEERS TRIOUXPER

• Upvote 1

This is a sad, sad loss...

I did know Troy personally and I registered here just to pay tribute to him. It is hard to describe him in just a few words but to echo what others have said: he was a HUGE Sioux fan (especially hockey), he had a great personality with an awesome (albeit slightly demented) sense of humor, and he was an all-around great guy.

He went so fast. I still can't believe he is gone.

To add to what NorthDakotaHockey said, we know he will be will be pulling the strings from on-high this season. I can just hear him now: "Hey, God? Can you maybe give the Sioux just one little advantage this year? I mean, after all, the way we lost last season was like a giant donkey punch..."

Troy, you will be missed and your love for the Sioux was unparalleled. Rest in peace, my man, and enjoy having the best seat in the house for Sioux hockey!

My condolences and prayers to his family and friends... God broke our hearts to prove he only takes the best.

I can just hear him now: "Hey, God? Can you maybe give the Sioux just one little advantage this year? I mean, after all, the way we lost last season was like a giant donkey punch..."

I think that's pretty much an exact quote of what Troy would say :)

I wish I didn't have to start this by correcting a misstatement from above, but THETRIOUXPER was a member in very good standing who was actively participating in discussions right up until a couple months ago. He did have strong opinions about how the forum should be moderated, and wasn't shy with them :), but his frequent sharing of those with me was actually quite instrumental in the big cleanup of the board in early '08.

I never knew Troy, the person, but knew THETRIOUXPER (he liked all caps), the poster, well. In addition to him being a very active member of the community (top 40 poster, despite really only being around in force from 05-08), I also had a fair amount of private communication with him, as mentioned above.

He was an extremely passionate Sioux fan, but was somewhat unique in has staunch defense of the athletes. He did more than any non-moderator I can think of to try get people to think about what they were posting and to realize that their anonymous criticisms were about real people. Nothing frustrated THETRIOUXPER more than to see fans throw players under the bus after a tough loss, knowing that the players already felt far worse than any fan could imagine, and he was quick to let those fans know that. He cared about the game, but cared more about the people in the Fighting Sioux community than whether a game was won or lost.

I've missed him as we've heard less from him over the past year, and am truly saddened to hear he is no longer with us. Our community lost a passionate individual with a very unique and valuable contribution, and we will be the poorer for it. He will be missed.

CHEERS TRIOUXPER

Well, I for one listened to Troy, though I never knew him.

However, I wasn't as eloquent in my player defense as he was. Nor quite as well informed as he in all things Sioux.

He will be missed, if not for his great insight alone, for his wonderful work ticking off the haters.

RIP big guy.

Thoughts and prayers to Troy and his family. Although I only met him a few times, he always provided a laugh and was Sioux fan through and through. You will be missed Triouxper, RIP.

Troy was one of my best friends, Troy and his family are so loveing and careing people It was a sad day for me that troys life was cut short, Im going to miss him, he loved Sioux Hockey and hockey in general, we would go to sum high school hockey games and just hang out.

I hope everbody says a pray for troys family, it was really sad to be there and see it....... I will miss you bro your friend allways Kalen

This is indeed sad news. I met THETRIOUXPER at a hockey tailgate party a few years ago, and then continued to get to know him. He was a diehard Sioux fan, and while he expected great things from the Sioux he also recognized them as people and defended them against personal attack. Troy, the Sioux fan base will miss you greatly. May God bless you and your family. We know you will be doing recruiting from above.

I have also registered at this site for the specific reason of paying tribute to Troy. Was he passionate about Sioux Hockey? Two years ago he actually took a swing at me when I suggested that maybe . . . just maybe . . . T.J. Oshie could look to pass a bit more often. What makes this story interesting is not Troy's passion for the game, but the fact that he was the best man in my wedding--and the Godfather of one of my kids. Needless to say, the words "Gee, I never know where I stand with Troy" have rarely been uttered.

And on a side note . . . as a born-and-raised North Dakotan, a UND alumni, a 20-year Grand Forks resident, a hockey season ticket holder and one of the most rabid Sioux Hockey supporters on the planet, I think the University could do worse than to dedicate a moment of silence in his honor before the first regular season home game this year. The man quite literally wore a Fighting Sioux cap into the final minutes of his life, and I think they owe it to him in exchange for his loyalty. Just a thought, if any of you University-types are listening.

I have called Troy my friend for over 27 years now, and it will be difficult to move on from this horrible nightmare of a month he and his family have been forced to endure. But when I finally figure out a way to return to a semi-normal life, I vow to honor Troy in the only way I know how: by crushing a plate of gravy fries, pummeling my brain with suds, and making fun of a chubby, small-town stripper. The man led a simple life, but you can't say he didn't have fun. And see a lot of boobies.

So what is Troy doing in Heaven now? I have a few theories. For starters, he's probably laying down an F-bomb riddled tirade about the Fighting Sioux nickname to Ralph Englestad, who is thinking "Damn, I like this kid." And I know for a fact he's already offered his middle finger to every asshole in Heaven wearing a Phil Kessel jersey. You can pretty much take that to the bank. Other than this, he likely spends his time channel surfing his NHL Center Ice package looking for former Sioux players--but on a much nicer TV than he had in his living room.

So here's to Troy: the most stubborn, opinionated, hungry and bald son of a bitch I ever had the priviledge of being arrested with. The hole you left in my life will never be filled. Unless you can fix it so the Sioux win a National Title this year.

I miss you, bro.

Obituary

I never met the man, but he certainly knew how to live. I think a moment of silence would be appropriate for a man who was this dedicated to Sioux hockey.

I'd agree with that, jloos. Who will keep the skippies straight here when they show up? RIP, TRIOUXPER