SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 NHL PLAYOFFS

AZSIOUX

Varlamov is to Washington what Ward is to Carolina. If either of those teams advance to the conference finals it'll be solely on the performance of their goalie.

You haven't watched the Boston Series then, the last two games were won because Carolina played a high pressure game and campitalized on Boston's turn overs. Staal has outplayed Savard. That is why Boston is losing the series.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You haven't watched the Boston Series then, the last two games were won because Carolina played a high pressure game and campitalized on Boston's turn overs. Staal has outplayed Savard. That is why Boston is losing the series.

because 1 player is outplaying 1 other player is the reason? i find that hard to believe with hockey being such a team game but i will agree that is a reason. ward has been very good and has given his teammates a huge boost of confidence. ward had 36 saves in the game 2 win which was huge. pengiuns will tie it up tonight and i have a hard time not picking boston but i guess who knows right now. chara hasnt been good at all and the offense hasnt stepped up as a whole scoring only 2 total goals in the 2 losses

because 1 player is outplaying 1 other player is the reason? i find that hard to believe with hockey being such a team game but i will agree that is a reason. ward has been very good and has given his teammates a huge boost of confidence. ward had 36 saves in the game 2 win which was huge. pengiuns will tie it up tonight and i have a hard time not picking boston but i guess who knows right now. chara hasnt been good at all and the offense hasnt stepped up as a whole scoring only 2 total goals in the 2 losses

Come on now I said that it was a combination of things. There were a lot of turn overs in the past two games. If any thing Thomas has out played the

Canes goalie Ward. IF you give a team like a lot of grade "A" opportunites your are going to get burried. Also, I forgot to mention the Carolina Ice Girls.

You haven't watched the Boston Series then, the last two games were won (1.) because Carolina played a high pressure game and campitalized on Boston's turn overs. (2.) Staal has outplayed Savard. That is why Boston is losing the series.

I hope that Gonchar isn't out for very long. It's too bad he got hurt but I'm not going to whine about it. Hockey is a physical game and unfortunately players get hurt sometimes. It was a good hit by Ovechkin. Maybe tomorrow night we can be lucky enough to see Ovechkin on the receiving end of a big hit.

How ironic one of your teams players is hit with a dirty leg check and you call it legal. If you surf the net you will see there are many people upset about Ovie hit on gonchar. In my opinion kneeing is a dirty bush league play no matter who does it. Of course there are two sets of rules one for star players/prima donna's and another set for goon's and mid level talent. I have watched the tape a few times and it didn't look very clean or legal. Of course the NHL league office will do nothing because Crosby and Ovechkin can pretty much do what ever they want and the league doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds them.

How ironic one of your teams players is hit with a dirty leg check and you call it legal. If you surf the net you will see there are many people upset about Ovie hit on gonchar. In my opinion kneeing is a dirty bush league play no matter who does it. Of course there are two sets of rules one for star players/prima donna's and another set for goon's and mid level talent. I have watched the tape a few times and it didn't look very clean or legal. Of course the NHL league office will do nothing because Crosby and Ovechkin can pretty much do what ever they want and the league doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds them.

it wasn't legal, or clean. however, i don't think it was intentional either, it was just one of those things where gonchar shifted his body at the last second which made the knees collide. but intentional or not, it happened. And, I'm not an Ovechkin fan, so i'm not trying to justify/make it okay/whatever.

it wasn't legal, or clean. however, i don't think it was intentional either, it was just one of those things where gonchar shifted his body at the last second which made the knees collide. but intentional or not, it happened. And, I'm not an Ovechkin fan, so i'm not trying to justify/make it okay/whatever.

I don't have a problem with that explaination about 50% of the blogsphere has said that. What will happen is, some day the shoe is going to be on the other foot for Alex and he is going to have it happen to him. Hockey has a funny way of evening things out. When it happens it will be

interesting to see if anything happens to the person that committed the hit.

I think I may have been too vague in my previous post. I didn't mean I thought the hit was good as in it didn't warrant a penalty, I meant it was good as in not a dirty play.

No wonder why you're so misunderstood around here, what you say isn't what you are really thinking...

Discount an obvious pro-Caps bias all you'd like, but I did replay the slo-mo a few times and am pretty sure you and DaveK and spot on -- Ovechkin drops his shoulder with the intent of clipping Gonchar, which results in his shoulder and knee jutting out. At the last second Gonchar decides to try to shift away (unclear whether he saw the shoulder coming or not) and Ovechkin ends up kneeing him.

Malicious? A little bit, in that it was intentional contact. An intent to knee a guy in the leg? Most likely not. Deserves a penalty? Sure, one guy did knee another. Deserves more than two? Probably not, but it wouldn't have been an outrageously bad call, in that the NHL does explicitly consider injurious result (but it also considers reputation of the player, on which Ovechkin is pretty clean).

On a different note, I was pondering as I was just walking in from the grocery, I think the team that has scored first has lost every game this series. Go Pens :D

and yet they still won. :D

i'm no longer surprised by anything you say. :)

Really?

I went on cleaning my apartment and muted the TV. I turned it off after what I thought was the end of the game (not sure) and went to bed.

Too bad I missed a good game.

I never predicted they'd lose that game. I merely stated that the Canuck's first goal was horrifically weak. It's almost like Khabibulin took a brief vacation. He was making spectacular saves left and right all game long up to that point.

the chicago/vancouver game 6 is a great game! after toews makes it 3-1, vancouver has come back to tie it up late in the second. pit/was is going to a game 7, so i'm ok with chicago finishing off vancouver tonight :D

The Pens-Caps game earlier was GREAT!

The Pens-Caps game earlier was GREAT!

I was ready to say it was great even when I was pretty sure it would end with a Caps penalty in OT leading to a season-ending goal. These teams have been very well matched. There's no doubt the Penguins have better playoff legs, they adjust much better to each new situation (knowing what penalties will be called, going on the attack when down, etc...) I was pretty disappointed at how flat the Caps became when they got the lead -- when they were on the attack in the 3rd the puck spent a total of 30 secs in the defensive zone, whereas once they had the lead it almost seemed like they quit caring about clearing and were happy to try to block shots for 5 minutes until the end of the game :D

That's 3 out of 3 OT games in this series in which the Caps have scored the game winning goal :lol::)

Another weak goal in the playoffs.. this time it helped the Caps beat the Penguins in OT. Seriously... FLeury's wanting to be flashy cost the Pens the game.

Right now, the Hawk/Canuck game is amazing.

Both teams are playing amazing offensive hockey. Both teams have absolutely NO DEFENSE. Seriously... it's like Detroit's offense paired with Islander Defense.

At some point I think they should just give up the ghost and simply pull the goaltenders. It's going to be a final score of something like 9-8 or 10-8 at this rate.

And in the "I told you so" department: What did I predict about the Detroit/Anaheim series? If Anaheim holds Detroit to less than 3 goals, they'll win. Anaheim has only won games where they've held Detroit to less than 3 goals.

Well, I suck at predictions.

Assuming Detroit finishes off Anaheim (as they should), the same thing applies. If Chicago can hold the Wings to less than 3 goals per game, they have a chance.

Kudos to the Hawks for finishing up a team I thought had the better team in several categories.

Well done Blackhawks. They are pros, but playing with the emotion of a college team. Great spectator enjoyment. That plus the broadcasters - including Troy Murray on WGN - going as crazy as the 22000+ at the United Center.

So, if you're a Blackhawks fan, would you rather your guys play the RedWings or the Ducks?

So far in this series the Penguins have won 3 games and Varlamov has won 3. To think that the Penguins have put more shots on goal in all six games and managed to lose half of them just goes to show how a hot goaltender can single-handedly defeat a superior opponent. I'm extremely nervous about Game 7. The Penguins have been the better team in this series, but Varlamov has been the better goalie. The better goalie tends to win more often than not. :D

Playing the "my team's better but hit a hot goalie" card after THAT game? I'm no longer sure we're even watching the same series :)

Playing the "my team's better but hit a hot goalie" card after THAT game? I'm no longer sure we're even watching the same series :D

I didn't see any goaltending at all last night in either game that I watched and it was exciting.

Another weak goal in the playoffs.. this time it helped the Caps beat the Penguins in OT. Seriously... FLeury's wanting to be flashy cost the Pens the game.

Are you talking about the game winner?? Fleury had no chance on that tip. I'm always amazed how great nhl forwards hands are. They routinely pick pucks out of mid air. Not a easy thing to do.