SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 NHL PLAYOFFS

AZSIOUX

sid, malkin and the pens in 6. detroit may be a little banged up overall still and i think the way the pens are playing its gona cause problems. even straight up say pens this year. the wngs are just so damn good in all areas of the game but ill take the pens this year.

The Pens aren't without faults.

I think Fleury is still very much the weak link. He tends to be a make or break goaltender. When he makes it, he's spectacular, but when he's not, he's pretty mediocre (being nice).

Can the Pens D handle the Wings O?

I think if the injuries prevail for the Wings, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Penguins prevail. Osgood hasn't had that great of a season and, without Lidstrom on the ice and at 100%, it's going to be rough. Ericsson won't miss any time, or so it was told during the last Detroit game.

Datsyuk is a key, imo. He's the counter to Crosby whereas Hossa is pretty much the counter to Malkin. I'd give the edge to the Pens in that comparison, but I'll give depth to Detroit in spades.

This could be an entertaining series.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty impressed by the Wings last night.

Despite not always playing well and despite the officials calling penalties that were only obviously penalties and all but one on the Wings (seriously, all three penalties were penalties, but Holmstrom tackled a guy in the first period no call....a Penguin tackled Abdelkader and held him down no call...Malkin sprung on a breakaway thanks to a blatant trip on Kronwall no call...Leino holding a Penguin just before Abdelkader's goal no call... Crosby tripped no call...Hossa takes a dive before the second goal no call...Matt Cooke elbowing a Red Wing TO THE FACE AFTER THE WHISTLE no call... Hal Gill ensuring Darren Helm has no shot by obstruction slashing no call). Seriously, I can't honestly believe that these are the best officials Bettman had to offer.

I wouldn't be a Sioux fan if I didn't have a conspiracy theory behind this: Bettman sees Crosby and Malkin as the face of the NEW NHL. He wants to see a Finals that are highly rated. Lucky for him, the Penguins made the Finals (not saying Bettman had anything to do with that). So, he turns to the officials and tells them to let the game go. Let them fly. So, only the most obvious penalties get called. Detroit learns the hard way about the limits and take two stupid penalties that had to be called. I'm surprised Adams went for hooking. More heinous penalties were let go than that.

Who really won Game 1?

2 of 3 Detroit goals were FLUKES. Stuart's goal was a joke and I'm surprised it went in. Not unhappy, mind you, but surprised. The second goal was just unfortunate. The third goal was a produce of Staal being lazy and not tracking the puck and Abdelkader getting lucky. It was a legit goal.

Pittsburgh's goal was Osgood leaving a steaming log in the crease. There is NO reason why Osgood couldn't have controlled that puck. Fedotenko gets a gift. Malkin is pissed because Osgood got the primary assist.

Detroit won in faceoffs and turn overs.

I think Pittsburgh played VERY VERY well with the exception of Crosby. He was nullified completely by Zetterberg and Co.

Sorry Goon.

Here's a cleaned up version for you and john:

The Wings sucked last night. I can't believe I am a fan of these panzies in red and white. I should be a fan of the panzies in black and gold. Fleury is 3l33t! Crosby is PWNED the Wings! Malkin is a stud on skates. If he were a horse, he'd win the Triple Crown! Even so, the Penguins would have lost to the Bruins in four games had they played each other. Kessel would have single handedly outscored the Penguins for all four games combined!

;)

UPDATE: Editted for Goon's sake. :D

Sorry Goon.

The Wings sucked last night. I can't believe I am a fan of these panzies in red and white. I should be a fan of the panzies in black and gold. Fleury is 3l33t! Crosby is PWNED the Wings! Malkin is a stud on skates. If he were a horse, he'd win the Triple Crown!

;)

You forgot the Bruins would have beaten the Pens if they had only beated the Canes. :D

Sorry Goon.

The Wings sucked last night. I can't believe I am a fan of these panzies in red and white. I should be a fan of the panzies in black and gold. Fleury is 3l33t! Crosby is PWNED the Wings! Malkin is a stud on skates. If he were a horse, he'd win the Triple Crown!

;)

I thought last night was a pretty good game. Much better than the third round games.

Fixed my post. ;)

I thought it was a very exciting game. I just hope the officials take the game a little more seriously today.

Can you believe that some are complaining about having to play two games in once? I think they should be happy that the games are on the weekend and in prime time.

nice win for the wings. i sure hope the pens can grab game 3 at home and make this a series. i think they will but if not then game over

They certainly played better in the first period than they did all of game 1... especially when the scored the first goal of the game and afterwards until the Wings tied them up.

Crosby actually got away two good shots.

Malkin got really cheap at the end of the game.

Osgood dove to help instigate the crap though.

Zetterberg fought Malkin, but Malkin initiated. It will be interesting to see the NHL's response to this.

They certainly played better in the first period than they did all of game 1... especially when the scored the first goal of the game and afterwards until the Wings tied them up.

Crosby actually got away two good shots.

Malkin got really cheap at the end of the game.

Osgood dove to help instigate the crap though.

Zetterberg fought Malkin, but Malkin initiated. It will be interesting to see the NHL's response to this.

There will be no suspension.

The Pens now face back-to-back must-win situations in Games 3 and 4. They can't afford to go down 3-1 with two of the last three games in Detroit. I haven't been this nervous since the Washington series. ;)

I'd be worried in your shoes too, because the most the Pens are going to get at home is a split. Detroit wins the cup in 5 games or less. Go Red Wings! Dang I wish the Caps could have gotten rid of them (the Pens)...

I'd be worried in your shoes too, because the most the Pens are going to get at home is a split. Detroit wins the cup in 5 games or less. Go Red Wings! Dang I wish the Caps could have gotten rid of them (the Pens)...

This could be done in 4 games.

I'm obviously biased, but I actually thought that Zetterberg was the one who was being cheap. I felt that he initiated the ugly scene late in the game when he started pushing Talbot around following Osgood's dive. Malkin was just standing up for Talbot, although I admit he took it too far.

Yes, you are biased.

So am I.

But I digress.

When I watched the replay I can't exactly tell who initiated anything as Zetterberg was at the top of the screen and mostly off screen until Malkin comes around the back of the net and starts punching away at him and hitting him in the back of the head with the shaft of his stick.

Did Osgood dive? Without question, yes.

Was Talbot innocent? Nope. He speared Osgood.

Now, let's look at what may precipitate this embellishment. This is not going to explain why Osgood didn't get a penalty for diving. He should have been assessed a two minute minor for diving. But let's look at the facts: First off, what has the officials done to control the game? The answer? Nothing. In Game One, Holmstrom was tackling people and Cooke was elbowing players to the HEAD AFTER the whistle and not sitting. In Game Two, more overt penalties were ignored. When this happens, the players start trying to expand the envelope as to how far they can get away with things. We've seen this before in the WCHA. The result is the same thing that got JPar labelled as a diver for the Sioux. If the skaters aren't going to get called for running/checking/spearing/roughing up the goaltender, what else can the goaltender do without slashing or checking back to show that a penalty has been committed? Dive. Now, to what point is that going to make? None, which is why I was amazed Osgood didn't get a penalty (and why JPar wasn't penalized more).

But seriously, the goaltender, despite all those pads, are the least protected players on the ice. If the officials aren't protecting them from late hits and being roughed up like the NHL officials obviously have no intention of doing, then what do you suggest he do? Just pray he doesn't get himself injured? Skate away from the goal when a Penguin player skates towards the net to prevent the inevitable?

Folks, I truly believe in my heart of hearts that there is NO WAY Osgood dives if he knew for certain the officials would follow the rulebook. Why? Because that same rulebook would bite him in the breezers if he did. It's called calling the game on integrity.

Now, look at Game 1. It was fast paced, aggressive, and action packed. Towards the end of the game it got chippier. Game 2, it started out much the same as Game 1, but it got chippier earlier because they know that it is going to take a LOT to get a penalty called on them.

My greatest fear is that only now the officials stepped in...game is practically over at the end of Game 2 and suddenly the officials are starting to pay attention to these things? There are a minimum of 2 games remaining in this series and a maximum of 5 games. Officials should set the tone in Game ONE, not the end of Game TWO and MOST DEFINITELY NEVER in Game 3. Game 3 should be just the same ole same ole.

It's ok to let some things slide, but do it for both sides. If you are going to call penalties, call the overt ones and call them for both sides and call them consistently. Right now, for every one non-call that would go against Detroit if called, Pittsburgh is committing 2 non-calls. I mean, wasn't some players this season suspended or fined for a hit like Cooke made on a Red Wing in Game 1? Wasn't players fined (at least) for poking at with the stick after the game ends like Crosby did on Maltby? Hasn't players been suspended 1 game for instigating a fight with less than 1 minute left in the game?

Suddenly the rule book is being thrown aside for the sake of allowing Crosby and Malkin every opportunity to shine. To be fair, the officials have protected certain players like Zetterberg and Hossa similarly. But, heck, if Zetterberg or Hossa commits an overt penalty, CALL IT. Stupidity deserves penalization.

Enough of just protecting certain players because there is certain PR advantages to their success. Game integrity over ratings, imo. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

And DaveK, before you jump all over me know this: Crosby, Malkin, or even the Penguin organization as a whole isn't responsible for this. I hold all this bunk the responsibility of Bettman and crew. They hand selected the officiating crew. They briefed the crew as to how they expect the game to be called. They make the calls on suspensions and rulebook violations requiring more attention than the on-ice officiating crews are afforded.

Detroit has largely nullified Crosby. Detroit's game, IMO, hasn't changed at all in both Game 1 and 2. I thought Pittsburgh played better in Game 2. But Detroit just beat Pittsburgh on two great goals and one stinking log left in Fleury's crease (seriously.... DaveK - Watch the replay of Abdelkader's goal in Game 2. THAT is exactly what I'm talking about in how I call Fleury overrated. Great goaltenders NEVER let a shot like that by them regardless of the fact that Hal Gill and Scudari are just as culpable as he is for that goal).

Yes, you are biased.

So am I.

But I digress.

When I watched the replay I can't exactly tell who initiated anything as Zetterberg was at the top of the screen and mostly off screen until Malkin comes around the back of the net and starts punching away at him and hitting him in the back of the head with the shaft of his stick.

Did Osgood dive? Without question, yes.

Was Talbot innocent? Nope. He speared Osgood.

Now, let's look at what may precipitate this embellishment. This is not going to explain why Osgood didn't get a penalty for diving. He should have been assessed a two minute minor for diving. But let's look at the facts: First off, what has the officials done to control the game? The answer? Nothing. In Game One, Holmstrom was tackling people and Cooke was elbowing players to the HEAD AFTER the whistle and not sitting. In Game Two, more overt penalties were ignored. When this happens, the players start trying to expand the envelope as to how far they can get away with things. We've seen this before in the WCHA. The result is the same thing that got JPar labelled as a diver for the Sioux. If the skaters aren't going to get called for running/checking/spearing/roughing up the goaltender, what else can the goaltender do without slashing or checking back to show that a penalty has been committed? Dive. Now, to what point is that going to make? None, which is why I was amazed Osgood didn't get a penalty (and why JPar wasn't penalized more).

But seriously, the goaltender, despite all those pads, are the least protected players on the ice. If the officials aren't protecting them from late hits and being roughed up like the NHL officials obviously have no intention of doing, then what do you suggest he do? Just pray he doesn't get himself injured? Skate away from the goal when a Penguin player skates towards the net to prevent the inevitable?

Folks, I truly believe in my heart of hearts that there is NO WAY Osgood dives if he knew for certain the officials would follow the rulebook. Why? Because that same rulebook would bite him in the breezers if he did. It's called calling the game on integrity.

Now, look at Game 1. It was fast paced, aggressive, and action packed. Towards the end of the game it got chippier. Game 2, it started out much the same as Game 1, but it got chippier earlier because they know that it is going to take a LOT to get a penalty called on them.

My greatest fear is that only now the officials stepped in...game is practically over at the end of Game 2 and suddenly the officials are starting to pay attention to these things? There are a minimum of 2 games remaining in this series and a maximum of 5 games. Officials should set the tone in Game ONE, not the end of Game TWO and MOST DEFINITELY NEVER in Game 3. Game 3 should be just the same ole same ole.

It's ok to let some things slide, but do it for both sides. If you are going to call penalties, call the overt ones and call them for both sides and call them consistently. Right now, for every one non-call that would go against Detroit if called, Pittsburgh is committing 2 non-calls. I mean, wasn't some players this season suspended or fined for a hit like Cooke made on a Red Wing in Game 1? Wasn't players fined (at least) for poking at with the stick after the game ends like Crosby did on Maltby? Hasn't players been suspended 1 game for instigating a fight with less than 1 minute left in the game?

Suddenly the rule book is being thrown aside for the sake of allowing Crosby and Malkin every opportunity to shine. To be fair, the officials have protected certain players like Zetterberg and Hossa similarly. But, heck, if Zetterberg or Hossa commits an overt penalty, CALL IT. Stupidity deserves penalization.

Enough of just protecting certain players because there is certain PR advantages to their success. Game integrity over ratings, imo. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

And DaveK, before you jump all over me know this: Crosby, Malkin, or even the Penguin organization as a whole isn't responsible for this. I hold all this bunk the responsibility of Bettman and crew. They hand selected the officiating crew. They briefed the crew as to how they expect the game to be called. They make the calls on suspensions and rulebook violations requiring more attention than the on-ice officiating crews are afforded.

Detroit has largely nullified Crosby. Detroit's game, IMO, hasn't changed at all in both Game 1 and 2. I thought Pittsburgh played better in Game 2. But Detroit just beat Pittsburgh on two great goals and one stinking log left in Fleury's crease (seriously.... DaveK - Watch the replay of Abdelkader's goal in Game 2. THAT is exactly what I'm talking about in how I call Fleury overrated. Great goaltenders NEVER let a shot like that by them regardless of the fact that Hal Gill and Scudari are just as culpable as he is for that goal).

I watched the third period with a buddy of mine and I said the WCHA officials have finally made their way to the NHL, it was like Adam and Anderson were out there officating the Stanley Cup Finals. Brutal reffing. Two more games and the Detroit Redwings will be champs again Yawn, boring.

I think the refs were a little better in Game 2.

Game 1 I said that very thing on USCHO, Goon. It was Don Adam and Todd Anderson.

I think the names are interchangeable. Still god awful.

Ulfie may need to return and take out some Redwing knees for the Pens to have a chance. Just in the context of the game, of course ;)

Not to mention that kneeing is much more acceptable than fighting as well and part of the game.