SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 NHL PLAYOFFS

AZSIOUX

Jim... I don't know series you're watching, but the Penguins had a 42-24 advantage in shots on goal last night. They've had more shots on goal in all 6 games. When you manage to win a game in spite of being outshot, it means your goalie played better than the other goalie. That's just simple math. :D

A shot is different than a scoring oppurtunity.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim... I don't know series you're watching, but the Penguins had a 42-24 advantage in shots on goal last night. They've had more shots on goal in all 6 games. When you manage to win a game in spite of being outshot, it means your goalie played better than the other goalie. That's just simple math. :D

I live by the philosopy of Quality over Quantity. I felt that the quality chances were fairly equal. Even the Capitals' player in his post game interview said he felt that they kept a lot of the Penquins shots to the outside.

Varlamov kept the Caps in the game last night through the end of the 1st period. The Pens DOMINATED the 1st period and only had a 1-0 lead to show for it when it very easily could have been more like 3-0.

No doubt the Penguins dominated 20 minutes last night. Unfortunately for them, it was a 66 minute game. :)

In all seriousness, quoting SOG from the box score isn't convincing because not all shots have an equal probability of becoming goals -- we all saw the game and though Varly had a good 1st period, there really wasn't a "hot goalie" on either side. Varlamov kept it close in the 1st and was statistically the better of the two, but with a hardly stifling 4 GA and .905 SV%. It was an exciting game featuring two great offenses trading blows, but neither so unstoppable that a 4-5 final should invoke such a platitude as blaming an OT loss on a "hot goalie".

On a different note -- the Pens/Caps series still being alive leaves me torn who to cheer for tonight. I'd rather the Caps face the Canes, but would otherwise prefer to see the Bruins advance. So, I'll throw my hat in with Goon and hope the Bruins win this and force a game 7, to keep all options open. :D

Wow, the Penguins handed the Capitals a butt-whooping. What a bad way to end a series. The Caps were never in the game.

Looks like I'll be cheering for Toews & the Blackhawks.

I found it amusing. I finally tune in to watch the last three games (or parts thereof) and notice that Game 5 and 6 are pretty good games.

Then I tune in for Game 7 and it's like Varlamov was back with the Hershey Bears while facing the NHL Penguins.

To me, lopsided contests are never fun to watch (unless it's your team winning in a lopsided manner). Being a fan of neither team, I can honestly say Game 7 was among the worst games of the 2009 playoffs. The Capitols played like they didn't even belong in the post season.

And, yeah, Varlamov impressed me. And, true, historically I've never been a fan of Fleury. But games 1-4 aside (as I didn't watch them), the series did end up great.

As for my earlier comments on the media and AO/Crosby, I found the key was to tune into the game after the game was underway and leave the game during period intermissions.

Other news:

Cam Ward defeats the Boston Bruins. Seriously, after Cam Ward, what else does Carolina have? Sure, this team is dangerous. Just like the 1995 Devils. A goaltender and a bunch of seemingly nobodies. No offense to Ryan Bayda.

Detroit beats Anaheim. Once again, I said that if Anaheim fails to keep Detroit to less than 3 goals, they'll lose. They gave up 4. Their season is over. Historical information aside (meaning, this season is all that I'm looking at): Osgood remains the most overrated goaltender in the playoffs. Fleury is a close second.

Khabibulin and Ward, IMO, are more known quantities. Everyone knows that Khabibulin is hot/cold and is prone to giving up absolutely putrid goals every now and then. Ward is the goaltender of the playoffs as he is singlehandedly carrying this team through each opponent.

My opinion? Ward has to come down to earth eventually... Just like Hasek did when he was with Buffalo against Dallas.

Detroit now squares off against Chicago. Personally, I hope Toews has an epic series and Detroit still trounces the Hawks. But seriously... I'm going to maintain my prediction: Keep Detroit below 3 goals, and you'll have a good chance at beating them.

Carolina now faces Pittsburgh... I think this is going to be an interesting series. Ward is carrying the team and Fleury is jekyl/hyde-like. Pens have big time offense. So, can Ward beat the Penguins? I honestly don't know. I think, on paper, the Penguins should win this series. But then again, the Devils should have ended Carolina's season anyways. The Capitols should have ended Pittsburgh's season. Neither happened.

Oh well.

I say Detroit takes it 4 games to 2.

I say Pittsburgh takes it 4 games to 3 (what the hell. I'm batting .500 on predictions at this point anyways, might as well be completely off target)

I may be a Detroit fan, but I don't want a rematch of last year's SC Finals. But if it happens, well... more muting I guess.

For those who watched the PIT/CAR tilt:

Ever wonder what Ward is to the Hurricanes? Watch the last 40 minutes of this game. That's why the Hurricanes won't advance. They're NOTHING without Cam Ward.

Watch the first 20 minutes if you want to see what I thought Fleury would bring to the ice this year in the playoffs.

It goes to show two things (well, imo anyways): Fleury is overrated and Ward is playing above his head. Both would have to be exposed eventually.

Carolina couldn't maintain the pressure and Fleury finally garned some focus and only allowed one more goal in the game.

Ward's defense abandoned him on Crosby's goal and He probably wants Malkin's second and third back.

In any case, it was an exciting game if you don't care much for defense or goaltending.

I'd be SHOCKED if Carolina wins more than 1 game. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pittsburgh sweep.

Tomorrow is Chicago/Detroit Game 3. Game 2 was a good game that could have gone either way. Like I said, Game 1's ill-use of Kane and Toews will cost Chicago. I say Detroit in 5.

WOW did I flip flop on predictions.

Ryan Bayda got a 5 minute major and a match penalty for cross checking one of the Pens.

I didn't see last night's game or the cross-check, but the dumba$$es in the NHL offices (Colin Campbell) put themselves in a tough spot when they TOOK AWAY Walker's automatic 1 game suspension after the sucker punch to Aaron Ward of the Bruins. When the rules automatically say you get a game suspension for a match penalty, I have never heard of a suspension being TAKEN AWAY!!! If anything, the league usually tacks on more games, and they do it to excess so if it gets appealed it usually just gets lowered (say from 7 games to 5 games) - but the player still ends up suspended for a few more games in the end.

How will the league treat Bayda's match penalty? It calls for an automatic 1 game suspension, but now they have the Walker precendent to deal with. I'm sure they'll have a real great answer to how this will be handled...I can't wait!

I didn't see last night's game or the cross-check, but the dumba$$es in the NHL offices (Colin Campbell) put themselves in a tough spot when they TOOK AWAY Walker's automatic 1 game suspension after the sucker punch to Aaron Ward of the Bruins. When the rules automatically say you get a game suspension for a match penalty, I have never heard of a suspension being TAKEN AWAY!!! If anything, the league usually tacks on more games, and they do it to excess so if it gets appealed it usually just gets lowered (say from 7 games to 5 games) - but the player still ends up suspended for a few more games in the end.

How will the league treat Bayda's match penalty? It calls for an automatic 1 game suspension, but now they have the Walker precendent to deal with. I'm sure they'll have a real great answer to how this will be handled...I can't wait!

I was wondering that myself because I think Walker's Sucker punch was worse and more blatant that Bayda's cross check.

Bayda cross check wasn't as bad as Lucic and I felt that he didn't deserve a suspension for that cross check either.

First off, Bayda was fined for his cross check.

I think Bayda misused his frustration. Face it Ryan, despite the first period, Carolina simply has nothing.

Secondly, DaveK:

Hey, look where Fleury was drafted. #1 overall's aren't exactly "not rated."

Right now, I don't know where rates compared with the other #1 overall goaltender (DiPietro) because I'm not sure how good Fleury would be if he had a team as crap as the Islanders in front of him either.

What I'd love to see is DiPietro with a team like the Hawks or Wings vs. Fleury with the Pens. Give DiPietro a team in front of him similar to Pittsburgh. That way we can see which one is living up to hype.

Right now, I don't see Fleury as a #1 overall worthy goaltender. Actually, I don't even see him as a top 10 pick. So, yeah, he's overrated. Spectacular at one point and lost the next. He's not a BAD goaltender, just overrated.

Interestingly enough, he's now what... 8-5 in the playoffs with a save% around .900 (it was .903 before Carolina scored 4 on him). With a team in front of him like that of Crosby and Malkin plus his exceptional skill....wouldn't he have a better playoff record? I mean, they're every bit if not a bit more talented up front as Detroit, right?

FLeury is overrated. Detroit will expose him. Unfortunately, I don't see Osgood faring any better. We're going to see a TON of 9+ goal scoring games this year in the finals.

First off, Bayda was fined for his cross check.

I think Bayda misused his frustration. Face it Ryan, despite the first period, Carolina simply has nothing.

Secondly, DaveK:

Hey, look where Fleury was drafted. #1 overall's aren't exactly "not rated."

Right now, I don't know where rates compared with the other #1 overall goaltender (DiPietro) because I'm not sure how good Fleury would be if he had a team as crap as the Islanders in front of him either.

What I'd love to see is DiPietro with a team like the Hawks or Wings vs. Fleury with the Pens. Give DiPietro a team in front of him similar to Pittsburgh. That way we can see which one is living up to hype.

Right now, I don't see Fleury as a #1 overall worthy goaltender. Actually, I don't even see him as a top 10 pick. So, yeah, he's overrated. Spectacular at one point and lost the next. He's not a BAD goaltender, just overrated.

Interestingly enough, he's now what... 8-5 in the playoffs with a save% around .900 (it was .903 before Carolina scored 4 on him). With a team in front of him like that of Crosby and Malkin plus his exceptional skill....wouldn't he have a better playoff record? I mean, they're every bit if not a bit more talented up front as Detroit, right?

FLeury is overrated. Detroit will expose him. Unfortunately, I don't see Osgood faring any better. We're going to see a TON of 9+ goal scoring games this year in the finals.

Am I the only one that is bored with the whole detroit thing? I just don't enjoy watching them at all.

It's like finnish/swedish elite team with a few north Amerians on the team. Boring hockey.

Am I the only one that is bored with the whole detroit thing? I just don't enjoy watching them at all.

It's like finnish/swedish elite team with a few north Amerians on the team. Boring hockey.

I'm WAY past bored with the whole Detroit thing. In fact, my hatred is growing by the day. I would rather stick pins in my eyes than watch them win another Stanley Cup.

Funny. I see skill.

They aren't physical, that I can understand.

However, Detroit isn't a team that normally uses the trap/left wing lock like our friends the Wild and to a certain extent, New Jersey (well... they did exclusively for a long time... this season though I'm not sure if it was a true trap system).

To me, watching Anaheim play is hard. Watching Carolina play is hard.

I think the Hawks/Wings series is entertaining because there's a lot of skill on the ice.

Car/Pit is one sided. The more I think of that series, the more I feel Pit sweeps.

As a fan of "any hockey is better than the basketball (any level) anything," I can only hope for long NHL series.

But, yeah, Detroit plays a very European style game. They really don't feature physical play. Holmstrom is a good instigator, but he's no Kocer, McCarty, Konstantinov, Maltby (in his prime), etc. Brad Stuart adds some physical game, but really... Detroit is a pure finesse team.

In fact, I can understand it perfectly why many of you dislike the Wings. Their game is a lot like Minnesota Gopher hockey. Which confuses me because I dislike the Gophers. Oh well, I'm odd that way.

I also like Detroit because they seem to be able to find diamonds in the rough (better picks in the later rounds) than other teams. In fact, I think Detroit's fared better in Rounds 4-7 recently than Minnesota has in Rounds 1-3. Koivu is great. Backstrom was an UFA (how the hell he went undrafted is beyond me).

I guess I like the organization. I wouldn't expect any different from any fan from any fanbase.

I still think Detroit in 5 or 6 (wishy washy).

However, an overall storyline that I just love to reiterate for the 1000000000th time:

I'm LOVING how Khabibulin is playing. And I'm loving how Chicago thought Huet would be the answer.

I wish I understood the salary cap because I'd be 100% for dumping Huet outright and re-signing Khabibulin at this point if I were a Hawks fan.

Well, I think Huet should be dumped outright. He's being paid way too much for an average to slightly better than average backup goaltender.

It's like paying MA Fleury type money to Ty Conklin.

I still think Detroit in 5 or 6 (wishy washy).

However, an overall storyline that I just love to reiterate for the 1000000000th time:

I'm LOVING how Khabibulin is playing. And I'm loving how Chicago thought Huet would be the answer.

I wish I understood the salary cap because I'd be 100% for dumping Huet outright and re-signing Khabibulin at this point if I were a Hawks fan.

Well, I think Huet should be dumped outright. He's being paid way too much for an average to slightly better than average backup goaltender.

It's like paying MA Fleury type money to Ty Conklin.

In my best KFAN bit intro-guy whispering voice: "Wow! What a great hockey mind!" :)

Do you hear the bell tolling?

The Hurricane season is almost over. Pittsburgh will continue wonderhing how a semifinal series could have been less competitive than their quarterfinal series. And the Rangers will be pissed because they could have made the semis if they hadn't faced Pittsburgh first.... or, for that matter, if they had been able to just finish off the Pens after going up 2-0, they'd've had an easy trek to the Finals.

One prediction of mine is coming through: The Hawks/Wings series is entertaining and competitive. Hawks have been in pretty much every game. Canes have only been in on game really, but it was too little too late.

I wonder how this will affect the finals? Does Pittsburgh go into the Finals with all the momentum or is it just like a team like the Phillies playing the Nationals before going on to take on a team like the Mets or Red Sox? (Forget league affiliation)

Do you hear the bell tolling?

The Hurricane season is almost over. Pittsburgh will continue wonderhing how a semifinal series could have been less competitive than their quarterfinal series. And the Rangers will be pissed because they could have made the semis if they hadn't faced Pittsburgh first.... or, for that matter, if they had been able to just finish off the Pens after going up 2-0, they'd've had an easy trek to the Finals.

One prediction of mine is coming through: The Hawks/Wings series is entertaining and competitive. Hawks have been in pretty much every game. Canes have only been in on game really, but it was too little too late.

I wonder how this will affect the finals? Does Pittsburgh go into the Finals with all the momentum or is it just like a team like the Phillies playing the Nationals before going on to take on a team like the Mets or Red Sox? (Forget league affiliation)

Carolina is horrible and it's no surprise that Pittsburgh will probably sweep them - or for sure win in 5. Yes, I know Carolina beat Boston and it probably sounds like sour grapes, but the Eastern Conference Finals would be completely different if it was Pittsburgh vs. Boston. No way Pittsburgh sweeps the Bruins...in fact, it would have been a Bruin victory in 6 or 7 games!

Carolina is horrible and it's no surprise that Pittsburgh will probably sweep them - or for sure win in 5. Yes, I know Carolina beat Boston and it probably sounds like sour grapes, but the Eastern Conference Finals would be completely different if it was Pittsburgh vs. Boston. No way Pittsburgh sweeps the Bruins...in fact, it would have been a Bruin victory in 6 or 7 games!

No team in the top 4, top 8 for that matter, is horrible. Pittsburgh is just better, that's all.

Where's the Carolina team that out-hit the Bruins? That team could beat Pittsburgh.

Instead, Carolina seems to want to skate with Pittsburgh. Carolina can't skate with Pittsburgh.

The bigger open issue is this:

How many RedWing injuries will carry over and factor in the next round, assuming they don't hold them back in this round.

... but I'm starting to feel like maybe the Penguins are a team of destiny.

I'm starting to feel that the Penguins are team where their second best center is named Sydney Crosby.

Seems most great NHL teams have at least two great centers (Gretzky/Messier for example).