SiouxSports.com Forum

If it ain't broke........

SiouxForever

The rotation only lasted for two weeks. Eidsness allowed a combined 8 goals vs. BU and Mankato, while Walski allowed a combined 7 goals vs. UMass and Mankato. I fail to see how those 2 weeks resulted in Eidsness clearly winning the job. They seemed equally mediocre as far as I could tell. :glare:

the last thing anyone wants to do is make this about walski not being good enough and so forth but your logic doesnt make one bit of sense. you dont play a goalie at this level because they are a senior and one is a freshman. thats so far off any coaches thinking its not even funny. you play who you feel gives the team the best chance to win overall on a nightly basis and we are so far from the point of throwing a season away calling it a rebuilding year just to play a guy who is a walk on who has moved to the 2nd string. even if it was you would play your future goalie but it isnt. i think i will trust the coaches in this situation and probably think they know what they are doing playing BE.it sint about bashing walski at all which nobody is doing but simply calling it how it is and the sioux coaching staff seem to be thinking the same way. i respect everyones opinions here but will have to completely agree to disagree

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been pretty clear for a while who our goalie is and should be. He's earned it by his play in games. And I see no logic of playing a senior back up goalie just to give him playing time for riding the bench for a few years. If we did that, this whole process would start all over again next year, and we all know how painful the first few games were from a goaltending/defensive standpoint. Playing BE is logical b/c he's talented... and each game gives him more confidence and we can only hope how good he could be by the time he's done here. I'm Team BE all the way.

the last thing anyone wants to do is make this about walski not being good enough and so forth but your logic doesnt make one bit of sense. you dont play a goalie at this level because they are a senior and one is a freshman. thats so far off any coaches thinking its not even funny. you play who you feel gives the team the best chance to win overall on a nightly basis and we are so far from the point of throwing a season away calling it a rebuilding year just to play a guy who is a walk on who has moved to the 2nd string. even if it was you would play your future goalie but it isnt. i think i will trust the coaches in this situation and probably think they know what they are doing playing BE.it sint about bashing walski at all which nobody is doing but simply calling it how it is and the sioux coaching staff seem to be thinking the same way. i respect everyones opinions here but will have to completely agree to disagree

Don't be silly!

You play Walski because he made 70+ saves when he was in high school and that he's a ND product!

DOWN WITH OVERAGE CANADIANS!!!!

:glare::huh:;)

I'M KIDDING!!!!!!

It's been pretty clear for a while who our goalie is and should be. He's earned it by his play in games. And I see no logic of playing a senior back up goalie just to give him playing time for riding the bench for a few years. If we did that, this whole process would start all over again next year, and we all know how painful the first few games were from a goaltending/defensive standpoint. Playing BE is logical b/c he's talented... and each game gives him more confidence and we can only hope how good he could be by the time he's done here. I'm Team BE all the way.

Actually, Walski is talented too or he wouldn't be in the conversation at all. We'd be calling for Harrington.

A few of us are calling for Harrington actually. We want to see him play so we can make an educated decision on this number 1 goalie situation... :huh:

P.S. -- he has the funniest nickname ever lol :glare:

I am hoping to see him play eventually.

Sioux are a weak team no matter which goalie starts. Since the year looks like it will be ending early, I have no problem with BE getting all the starts to develop him. There's no reason to develop Walski by giving him starts when he will be gone next year and this year is shot.

Sioux are a weak team no matter which goalie starts. Since the year looks like it will be ending early, I have no problem with BE getting all the starts to develop him. There's no reason to develop Walski by giving him starts when he will be gone next year and this year is shot.
Way to give up on the team in early December.We don't need ya.

Blais seemed to make his roster on the philosophy of "if two guys are playing equally well I skate the younger one in hopes to get him to develop for later".

Evidence: How many times did (a junior or senior) Tom Philion* sit while a high-potential freshman played (and admittedly made some mistakes along the way)?

That's one Blais-ism that Hak is apparently using. I like it.

Hak used "skate or sit" recently with Kozek and Trupp. I like it.

Now I just wish Hak would go with Blais' offensive approach, especially since obstruction and clutching are being called: When those horses are allowed to run, they can run. Just ask Cornell.

* Picked a Minot, ND, guy to make the point. :glare:

I'm not ready to trash the season yet, but it seems this team takes a step back for every step or two forward. There's not a lot of consistent play, and it seems this team is having difficulty gelling right now. I hope they look at the calendar because the important months ending in "y" are right around the corner, and the schedule will not be easy. :huh::glare:

I think that Eidsness is the better goalie. However we need to have two goalies in case that Eidsness goes down or if he loses his edge.

It seems that having some competition for playing time makes everyone better.

On the other hand I can see that the coach might think he has to have his best goalie out there at all times or the never satisfied fans will be calling for his head.

I think that Eidsness is the better goalie. However we need to have two goalies in case that Eidsness goes down or if he loses his edge.

On the other hand I can see that the coach might think he has to have his best goalie out there at all times or the never satisfied fans will be calling for his head.

i dont think it has anything to do what the fans think. hes playing the right goalie overall. you play who gives you the best chance to win and thats BE. im sure there is a lot of competition overall and i also took from lsitening and reading on BE that he expects a hell of a lot out of himself to help the team win every night. there is many teams in the nation that you can say if the starting goalie goes down then the team may being in trouble. lets get that win friday and hopefuly get a damn sweep!!

i dont think it has anything to do what the fans think. hes playing the right goalie overall. you play who gives you the best chance to win and thats BE. im sure there is a lot of competition overall and i also took from lsitening and reading on BE that he expects a hell of a lot out of himself to help the team win every night. there is many teams in the nation that you can say if the starting goalie goes down then the team may being in trouble. lets get that win friday and hopefuly get a damn sweep!!

Brad Eidness is doing a great job at goalie! What we lack this year is consistant scoring! You can't win many games when you only score friggin' 1 or 2 goals! :glare:

Our guys need to quit cycling the puck A LOT and try wristing more shots or one timers! Plus don't give up on them this year! They'll get better, I have a feeling!

Brad Eidness is doing a great job at goalie! What we lack this year is consistant scoring! You can't win many games when you only score friggin' 1 or 2 goals! :glare:

Our guys need to quit cycling the puck A LOT and try wristing more shots or one timers! Plus don't give up on them this year! They'll get better, I have a feeling!

agree and thats been stated many times by many posters here and thats right on. if we can drop 3 goals per game we will have a good chance to win many games

I think in the that situation I would play the other Freshman goalie.

Thank the good Lord. We'd've had 5 coaches in the last 4 seasons if fans were in charge. We would NEVER get the quality of coaching UND has currently or in the past because UND would be seen as the Oakland Raiders of DI.

Also:

Finley would have signed with Washington after his freshman year.

Lee would have been lynched.

Smaby would have sat half a season.

Malone would be in Halifax. Cichy might be too. Nothing like turmoil to drive everyone off.

Actually, I could see most of our top recruits going elsewhere.

We'd have the Woog-ization of UND and take over for UAA or MTU historically in the realm of WCHA jokes.

Kinda one of the reasons why I have such blind and, I'm sure infuriating to some of you, complete trust in Hakstol.

Thank the good Lord. We'd've had 5 coaches in the last 4 seasons if fans were in charge. We would NEVER get the quality of coaching UND has currently or in the past because UND would be seen as the Oakland Raiders of DI.

Also:

Finley would have signed with Washington after his freshman year.

Lee would have been lynched.

Smaby would have sat half a season.

Malone would be in Halifax. Cichy might be too. Nothing like turmoil to drive everyone off.

Actually, I could see most of our top recruits going elsewhere.

We'd have the Woog-ization of UND and take over for UAA or MTU historically in the realm of WCHA jokes.

Kinda one of the reasons why I have such blind and, I'm sure infuriating to some of you, complete trust in Hakstol.

Loyalty and blind trust are meritorious. That is why the Captain goes down with the ship! The UND program (facilities, alumni, fan support) deserve (and can afford) the best coach money can buy. I believe that the with the tools that we have in our tool chest we should have a record considerably better than the one we have at the present time. I also believe that Hak would be the first to acknowledge the same. His challenge comes when he acknowledges that every man has his limitations - and maybe the UND program is his. Lets hope that he can pull it out - I am not cheering against him in any way shape of form. Moreover, pointing out what we all teach our kids - one has to take responsiblity for their actions. The historic pre-Christmas slump was overtaken with matching marque players (chemistry) such that the enertia of winning could carry the team to the Frozen Four. While I think we have a bunch of great young men, not sure we have the skill level of those that carried us in the past. However, if we do make it to the Frozen Four - I too will have blind trust in Hak!

Fight on Sioux!

Loyalty and blind trust are meritorious. That is why the Captain goes down with the ship! The UND program (facilities, alumni, fan support) deserve (and can afford) the best coach money can buy. I believe that the with the tools that we have in our tool chest we should have a record considerably better than the one we have at the present time. I also believe that Hak would be the first to acknowledge the same. His challenge comes when he acknowledges that every man has his limitations - and maybe the UND program is his. Lets hope that he can pull it out - I am not cheering against him in any way shape of form. Moreover, pointing out what we all teach our kids - one has to take responsiblity for their actions. The historic pre-Christmas slump was overtaken with matching marque players (chemistry) such that the enertia of winning could carry the team to the Frozen Four. While I think we have a bunch of great young men, not sure we have the skill level of those that carried us in the past. However, if we do make it to the Frozen Four - I too will have blind trust in Hak!

Fight on Sioux!

Well said. The talent level on this team is what it is and that is Hak's responsibility from a recruiting standpoint. What bothers me more than anything since Hak took over is his inability to get the team to play inspired hockey on a fairly consistant basis. How many times have you and I seen this team come out and play absolutely flat! Way too many to count. Winning is nice, losing and playing well/hard is ok, but losing because of an uninspired, lack luster effort is unacceptable. And that roller coaster squarely falls on the coaching staff. To come to the Ralph and see a performance from an effort and intensity standpoint like what was given against UAA in their Friday night game is...pathetic. But again how many times have we, as fans, seen this under Hak? You roll with the players you have on the roster and their skill is what it is, and we do have some gifted talent on this team, but to lay an egg from an effort/intensity standpoint virtually every other game is not acceptable.

I agree the team will gel as they move into the second half of the season; the big question is do we have the horses to make the big second half run? I don't see an Oshie, Chorney or Jonny Toews coming to the rescue this year so it's going to be tough. This team is consistently inconsistent...I thought the Saturday game against Cornell was telling; they had a chance at home to get the sweep against a quality opponent and got forechecked, backchecked, and three party checked on their way to a close loss. Let's hope they can finish the deal against the Crimson Saturday night and get this damn thing rolling.

Go Sioux!