SiouxSports.com Forum

If it ain't broke........

SiouxForever

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you may have understood my stance on Walski. It's not like I'm a big fan of his or anything like that, it's just that I think the goaltender position this year is going to be weak no matter which of those two goalies starts from one game to the next. I think that in time Eidsness will develop into a good (maybe not great, but good) NCAA goalie. Not as good as Lamoureux, Parise, Goehring, Belfour, Jensen, or Casey... but better than the likes of Jake Brandt or Josh Siembeda. Right now, however, I see him as being about equal to a Brandt or Siembeda. Considering that both goalies are not all that great and we're in a rebuilding year, I just thought it would be nice to give the senior a few more starts to make up for all that wasted time riding the bench in recent years. Plus he's from Fargo, but no I don't think he's going to carry us to the promised land. Having said all of that, I don't think the goaltender position is THE reason why the Sioux are struggling this year, but it is one of the reasons IMHO. Obviously scoring is down and I think we miss Joe Finley's presence a lot more than most people realize.

BE is adjusting just fine to this level IMO.he gives the team the best chance to win and thatsvery very obvious by looking at numbers and wins and the coaching staff playing him every game lately.

siembida ? :glare: sorry davek. how do you see that happening? brad has 5 career wins in his first 11 games started behind a team that cant score right now. brandt still holds a record or two i believe before getting benched his last year and a half for the most part. big big difference between jake brand and siembida. huge difference. so you want a senior to play just because he rode the bench as a WALK ON goalie for 3 years? this isnt little league. this is a top tier division 1 program with tons of a season left to see what happens. no participation ribbons are needed and you dont play because you are from north dakota? really on the fargo thing? i get it if you are saying its nice to see semi-locals play but BE is playing every game for a reason.

please dont ever put josh siembida and jake brandt in a comparison together. brandt played in 59 career games with a 32-12-4 overall record and a 2.57 GAA and a .900 sv % and didnt play for crap his senior season for whatever reason hak had - while siembida played in 31 career games in a season and a half going 17-10-1 with a 3.35 GAA and a .870 sv%. and we all know he ended up going to quinnipiac and did nothing

you are right, goaltending isnt the problem. we are struggling scoring right now and joe is missed overall.

BE is adjusting just fine to this level IMO.he gives the team the best chance to win and thatsvery very obvious by looking at numbers and wins and the coaching staff playing him every game lately.

siembida ? :glare: sorry davek. how do you see that happening? brad has 5 career wins in his first 11 games started behind a team that cant score right now. brandt still holds a record or two i believe before getting benched his last year and a half for the most part. big big difference between jake brand and siembida. huge difference. so you want a senior to play just because he rode the bench as a WALK ON goalie? this isnt little league. this is a top tier division 1 program with tons of a season left to see what happens. no participation ribbons are needed and you dont play because you are from north dakota? really?

please dont ever put josh siembida and jake brandt in a comparison together. brandt played in 59 career games with a 32-12-4 overall record and a 2.57 GAA and a .900 sv % and didnt play for crap his senior season for whatever reason hak had - while siembida played in 31 career games in a season and a half going 17-10-1 with a 3.35 GAA and a .870 sv%. and we all know he ended up going to quinnipiac and did nothing

you are right, goaltending isnt the problem. we are struggling scoring and joe is missed overall.

Well stated and I would be willing to bet that Parise's freshman numbers are very close to BE's...

Well stated and I would be willing to bet that Parise's freshman numbers are very close to BE's...

japr went 14-4-3 splitting time with brandt going 16-4 that year in 2003-04 when we couldnt get 1 damn goal vs DU in that regional final in the springs after outshooting them 33-17 with 12 current pro players :glare::) hell bochenski took 9 shots himself that game :D also dean's last game as head coach

BE will get 30 starts this season so lets wait til the end of the year and see how he is overall.

:glare: BE will get 30 starts this season so lets wait til the end of the year and see how he is overall.

Yep that is a good idea. I think it is silly that some have called him a bust or not very good.

BE has made some awesome saves already this season and has been the difference in a few games as well.

The Gophers certainly have their flaws. Their soft defensively and rely way too much on their top line. I'm glad the team is going through some adversity right now. Nothing good comes from cruising through the first half of the season. The gophers are good but not great, at least not yet.

The SIoux are as soft defensivley as any Sioux team I can remember in a long time. Someone please provide me with one big hit by a Sioux d man this whole season...I saw one by Blood when I was at the Sat game in duluth but other than that I cannot think of one.

The SIoux are as soft defensivley as any Sioux team I can remember in a long time. Someone please provide me with one big hit by a Sioux d man this whole season...I saw one by Blood when I was at the Sat game in duluth but other than that I cannot think of one.

macwilliam is gona be a force and blood and fienhage will be physical as well. blood has shown a little so far but you are right. not much hitting. just watched a older dvd and matt greene hit the opposing player every time they came down the middle or tried to take him wide around the boards. smaby played a nice physical game as well watching a game with him in it. greene was a friken machine out there. wow. macwilliam blood and fienhage will be the bigger forces while genoway, marto, lapoint and gleason need to be the playmaking d men. gleason seems like hes a hell of a skater

macwilliam is gona be a force and blood and fienhage will be physical as well. blood has shown a little so far but you are right. not much hitting. just watched a older dvd and matt greene hit the opposing player every time they came down the middle or tried to take him wide around the boards. smaby played a nice physical game as well watching a game with him in it. greene was a friken machine out there. wow. macwilliam blood and fienhage will be the bigger forces while genoway, marto, lapoint and gleason need to be the playmaking d men. gleason seems like hes a hell of a skater

Gleason is a poor mans Genoway. Not that excited about him. My focus is on Marto and LaPoint and those two have regressed in their sophmore year.

Gleason is a poor mans Genoway. Not that excited about him. My focus is on Marto and LaPoint and those two have regressed in their sophmore year.

if gleason can come in and produce on the offensive side then that would be great. genoways a hell of a puck pusher and we will need a player to do that after he leaves and im guessing gleason can be the guy for a few years. im excited to see him play for the sioux. hes playing well with des moines as of now which is nice to see. i agree on the other 2 and that will be up to them. or to get dylan olsen in do they push gleason back 1 more year?? just a thought. have no idea if even possible.

And Parise was not worthy of being the every day starter until his sophomore year. I don't think that any goalie, with rare exceptions for extremely special individuals like Ed Belfour, should be an every day starter as a freshman.

So you're saying that we should completely blow-up the season so that Walski can play?? What, other than Walksi being a Sr., has he shown that makes him worthy of playing? An 0-fer record and a GAA a goal+ more than E. "I want winners! I want winners!" E gives this team the best chance to win night in and night out!

i agree on this. hows ness looking? the games i saw on tv he is a very good skater and puck handler but lacks serious size and doesnt seem to be putting up the numbers you would think from a guy with that skill and hype. im sure kevin gorg already had a hobey highlight video made for him but probably will start working on schroeders instead :huh::glare: sorry, that guys not good at all for their broadcasts. too much of a fan like all of we are to do that job

Ness, like you said is a great skater with obvious skills but he gets pushed around quite a bit. I think he's a three year player who eventually will be exceptional on the power play. He's not putting up big numbers yet but he's not making a ton of mistakes either cause he's a pretty smart player.

No, I'm saying that both goalies should get equal playing time because we're going through a rebuilding year. I don't believe that either goalie right now gives us a better chance to win than the other.

What hockey have you been watching? Not this year's UND team. E has hands down been better in net than Walski so far and it isn't even close. If you feel that it doesn't matter which one plays because they give UND an equal chance to win, you might want to start paying closer attention to...the actual play on the ice! Ridiculous for you to even make that comment.

No, I'm saying that both goalies should get equal playing time because we're going through a rebuilding year. I don't believe that either goalie right now gives us a better chance to win than the other.

If I buy your premise that this is a rebuilding year (which I am not ready to do so), it would make no sense to split goalie duties between Eidsness and Walski. The whole point of a rebuilding year is to improve for the next season. Playing Walski does not do that. I would rather give playing time to Harrington if I was going to play two goalies in a rebuilding year.

Eidsness is the starter and should play most of the games this season. Not only does he give us the best chance of winning but he gains valuable experience for future seasons.

And Parise was not worthy of being the every day starter until his sophomore year. I don't think that any goalie, with rare exceptions for extremely special individuals like Ed Belfour, should be an every day starter as a freshman.

totally different situation. you cant compare jake brandt and aaron walski and that is the difference. sorry. cant do it and never will be able to do it. if the situation presents itself like it does this year then who cares what class he is in. jpar had a hell of a freshman season in net. he was 14-4-3 with a .908 SV% and a 2.05 GAA. that makes no sense at all. you play the best players bottom line at this level. the goalie situation is what it is and BE is the starter. he gives the team the best chance to win and i dont care what class you are in and what city you are from. you play the lineup that you can win with

Yes, the younger guys are the future. I just have a difficult time with a 1st year player being given that sense of entitlement without first working hard to earn it. Unless you're a future NHL superstar like Belfour/Parise/Toews you should have to pay your dues and slowly but surely work your way into a starting job.

By your logic it seems the only "work" that matters is what is done at the college level. You fail to consider the work that has been put in at the lower levels up to this point. Perhaps E is where he is because he's been working hard and "paying his dues" prior to college in order to be properly prepared for this level of play.

Yes, the younger guys are the future. I just have a difficult time with a 1st year player being given that sense of entitlement without first working hard to earn it. Unless you're a future NHL superstar like Belfour/Parise/Toews you should have to pay your dues and slowly but surely work your way into a starting job.

who said he didnt earn it. he has been working his butt off since he arrived on campus early summer. BE was brought in to UND to play right away. the coaches dont care if you are a freshman or senior. they want to win. again.......... the situation is different as well. walski has 4 career starts and 1 coming into the season. he had the chance early splitting games and didnt do well and then got yanked in his last start. obviously BE has paid his dues in the coaches eyes as he has earned the spot.

who said he didnt earn it. he has been working his butt off since he arrived on campus early summer. BE was brought in to UND to play right away. the coaches dont care if you are a freshman or senior. they want to win. again.......... the situation is different as well. walski has 4 career starts and 1 coming into the season. he had the chance early splitting games and didnt do well and then got yanked in his last start. obviously BE has paid his dues in the coaches eyes as he has earned the spot.

I guess by davek's rationalle then no freshman players should ever play. :glare:

Agree to disagree with that comment. From what I've seen they're both pretty average. Not terrible, but not spectacular either.
Have you seen both goalies play?Eidsness is head and shoulders better than Walski and deserves to be between the pipes for every game regardless if he's a freshman.

No question that BE gives us the best chance to win, now and in the future. I also suspect he will have improved stats after this weekend's series even though we may lose both games.

Maybe they should move BE to forward.

4.5 goals allowed is the over/under for this coming weekend for BE. I'll take the under and we'll still split because we'll only score 3 or 4!

I never said they shouldn't play, I said they shouldn't start. They shouldn't just be given a place in the starting lineup without first slowly but surely earning it with their play in games. Put them on the 3rd line and let them work their way up. With goalies put them into a rotation.

BE was in rotation and has clearly won the job, incase you don't believe me look at their stats.

I never said they shouldn't play, I said they shouldn't start. They shouldn't just be given a place in the starting lineup without first slowly but surely earning it with their play in games. Put them on the 3rd line and let them work their way up. With goalies put them into a rotation.

if you ae good enough you are good enough to play no matter what line. this isnt mitey mites where everyone gets equal playing time. if the goalie is better than play the goalie. pretty simple. who cares what class they are in.

The rotation only lasted for two weeks. Eidsness allowed a combined 8 goals vs. BU and Mankato, while Walski allowed a combined 7 goals vs. UMass and Mankato. I fail to see how those 2 weeks resulted in Eidsness clearly winning the job. They seemed equally mediocre as far as I could tell. :glare:

Didn't Walski allow 3 goals to UAA in less than one game and Eidsness allowed what... 1? 2?

Last season it was stated that the UAA and Mankato series were enough to have Grieco basically kicked off the team. Surely you're giving Walski a pass.

Walski is a nice story. But his story comes in practice now. Eidsness is the man. If we ever get our offense and PP working, it will become even more apparent.