SiouxSports.com Forum

If it ain't broke........

SiouxForever

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason Blake and Jeff Panzer were elite college players. The Sioux don't have that this year. Gregoire might turn into that guy, but he ain't there now.

I wouldn't put Blake at an elite level in '97, and he wasn't on the '00 team. He was at that level in '99 and possibly in '98, both teams that were better than the '97 team, but they didn't get out of regionals either of those years, if I recall. Panzer was probaby at or near his best level in '00 and they did win it, but he wasn't Parise or Toews or even Oshie. Absolutely wonderful player, though--the kind I prefer to have on a college team, especially if they stay for 4. I agree about Gregoire.

I wouldn't put Blake at an elite level in '97, and he wasn't on the '00 team. He was at that level in '99 and possibly in '98, both teams that were better than the '97 team, but they didn't get out of regionals either of those years, if I recall. Panzer was probaby at or near his best level in '00 and they did win it, but he wasn't Parise or Toews or even Oshie. Absolutely wonderful player, though--the kind I prefer to have on a college team, especially if they stay for 4. I agree about Gregoire.

I think all us fans are just frustrated. We spend a lot of money following this team on the road and at home. At this point of the season we are not getting the results, that is the bottom line. I thought with a frosh goalie this year that times might be tough but Eidsness has not been the problem at all. It is a lack of offensive punch and weak defense....We have no one on d that will hit anyone other than jones and he only ties guys up along the boards...none of our d stand anyone up at the blue line.

I think all us fans are just frustrated. We spend a lot of money following this team on the road and at home. At this point of the season we are not getting the results, that is the bottom line. I thought with a frosh goalie this year that times might be tough but Eidsness has not been the problem at all. It is a lack of offensive punch and weak defense....We have no one on d that will hit anyone other than jones and he only ties guys up along the boards...none of our d stand anyone up at the blue line.

I too am frustrated, but I still have faith. I pray every night that we will have the after Christmas turn around that we've seen in past years, but I really have my doubts that it will take place. I think that we will improve and compete at the level of an upper echelon WCHA team, but I don't see us going on a crazy streak like we did last year. The problem I've observed is that we don't have the leadership and performance of our upper-classmen that we've had in the past few years. I expected Kozek to have a near-Hobey (meaning more than solid and a leader for our team, but not necessarily spectacular nationally) year this season, and he has yet to do anything.

I was disappointed to see a change in lines from Friday night, since I thought we finally found a groove offensively with what we had that particular night. I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon for Mario in respect to our record when he plays, but on Friday I saw a lot of positives out of him that, to me, earns him a spot in the lineup (i.e. a very physical presence and a lot of hard work).

And as far as defense goes, we have work to do. I love Chay G to death, but he needs to realize when it's appropriate to shoot the puck and, more importantly, when it's important not to. Miller has been doing great, but needs to take more of a D-man mentality and look to defend and assist more than to score. I expected more out of LaPoint this year. In my eyes, Blood has shown more promise as a solid D-man than LaPoint.

It's my opinion that Malone should sit a game or two. In two years, he has yet to show me anything that will earn him a guaranteed spot in the lineup. I'd much rather see Lammy or Toews in the game.

Let's just hope for a berth in the tournament where we can show our true worth. I'd love to make a third consecutive trip to the Frozen Four to watch our Sioux in action.

I'm afraid I have to agree with DAR, especially considering the glaring weakness we have at the goaltender position. We haven't been this mediocre between the pipes since the years that came after Karl Goehring and before Jordan Parise. I still have faith that Eidsness will have a good college career, but I don't see him realizing his potential till sometime next season. I don't see our annual 2nd half hot streak happening again like it has in recent years. Having said that, I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong.

Looks like we won't ever agree on anything DaveK. E has been a pleasant suprise in net. For a frosh, he has been more than solid. Glaring weakness?? That is a joke. His GAA is less than 3. And that is with LaPoint and the rest of our defenseless d-man in front of him. He has been the most consistant part of this team this year game in and game out. He isn't Lammy...yet, but he'll be one of the better one to come thru UND when it is all said and done IMO.

Looks like we won't ever agree on anything DaveK. E has been a pleasant suprise in net. For a frosh, he has been more than solid. Glaring weakness?? That is a joke. His GAA is less than 3. And that is with LaPoint and the rest of our defenseless d-man in front of him. He has been the most consistant part of this team this year game in and game out. He isn't Lammy...yet, but he'll be one of the better one to come thru UND when it is all said and done IMO.

Oxbow6 I agree BE is not the reason this team is 3 under .500. he has had two bad games and one bad period. the last five games he has given us every opportunity to win, but our offense has let him down. but hey on a brighter note note according to hak we are still really close to going on a streak. :glare:

I'm afraid I have to agree with DAR, especially considering the glaring weakness we have at the goaltender position. We haven't been this mediocre between the pipes since the years that came after Karl Goehring and before Jordan Parise. I still have faith that Eidsness will have a good college career, but I don't see him realizing his potential till sometime next season. I don't see our annual 2nd half hot streak happening again like it has in recent years. Having said that, I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong.

I don't see the glaring weakness at goaltending right now. Is Eidsness as good as JPL was last year ? Of course not, but that doesn't equate to being weak in goal.

Let's look at the last 6 games (AA, UMD, Cornell). Eidsness started all games except for the first Duluth game where he came in to replace Walski approx halfway into the game. In these games Eidsness faced 145 shots and allowed 11 goals for a save % of .924.

His GAA was around 2.00.

Given the level of competition and the fact that four of the six games were at home, IMO a good team would have gone 5-1 or 4-1-1 in these games, instead we went 2-3-1. Had we scored 3 or more goals in the games we would not have lost even once.

The problem right now is not goaltending, it is a lack of offense. When you see how much we struggle on the PP it is no wonder we are having trouble scoring. In those six games we scored 16 goals which is an average of 2.67 goals/game. If you exclude the one game we scored 7 goal, we only averaged 1.80 goals/game in the other five. The lack of offense is the reason we are struggling to win right now.

weakness at goaltending? sorry. have to agree to disagree there :glare: BE has been a bright spot for the sioux overall along with this freshman class as a whole i think he and the staff already realize his potential or he wouldnt be at UND and playing every game in the last 9. i know what your point was though. i get it but he is the man right now in net and gives this team the best chance to win. he allowed 2 goals on saturday, not the 3nd til later in the game. 3 goals wins that game or maybe 2 goals wins that game if we score that 2nd goal. who knows but he is not a weakness by any means. you like aaron walski which is evident but i wouldnt use the word weakness in any sentence with BE. lets hope the team overall gets it rolling this weekend and can score goals both nights in front of BE. oh well.....just win baby!!

the sioux have been losing and are 3 games under .500 for one reason. lack of scoring overall. score a night and i bet the sioux sweep this coming weekend

GO SIOUX - beat the smaaat kiks

We do not have a weakness in goal. Have you watched the games lately? Brad Eidsness made some great saves this weekend.

There was one weak goal all weekend.

The problem right now is not goaltending, it is a lack of offense. When you see how much we struggle on the PP it is no wonder we are having trouble scoring. In those six games we scored 16 goals which is an average of 2.67 goals/game. If you exclude the one game we scored 7 goal, we only averaged 1.80 goals/game in the other five. The lack of offense is the reason we are struggling to win right now.

You are absolutely correct.

I didn't see Friday's game, even on television, but was at Saturday's and I'm having a hard time seeing how this team managed to score 7 times the previous night. What changed? I saw the same old cycling below the goal line, the "clear-the-blue-line-and-dump-it-in-the-corner" b.s. that's frustrated me for over a year now.

Surely there is offensive talent on this team, but has Hakstol buried it all under this cycling crap? It seems like there is noone on the team willing (or able) to carry the puck into the zone, move to the middle and attempt a shot.

I just don't get it. :glare:

You are absolutely correct.

I didn't see Friday's game, even on television, but was at Saturday's and I'm having a hard time seeing how this team managed to score 7 times the previous night. What changed?

On Friday night the Sioux took the play to the Big Red and were the superior team, on Saturday night they let the Big Red set the play and dictate the style of play. I think UND was out coached in another game yet again. In defense the goal waved off should have been a goal.

Cycling is fine if it's not excessive and if they use it to create openings. Cycling has its purposes.

They are good at cycling and puck possession stuff, but cycling just so you can say you were playing good, or something, is a waste.

Cycling the puck isn't the problem its shooting and making the right passes in the offensive zone down low by the goal.

I'm probably alone on this, but I still believe that Hak is a very good coach and that this team has a good blend of talent, including goal. The Eternal optimist.

I think we might get stomped by the gophs this year, though, which would hurt.

I'm probably alone on this, but I still believe that Hak is a very good coach and that this team has a good blend of talent, including goal. The Eternal optimist.

I think we might get stomped by the gophs this year, though, which would hurt.

like the gophers are world beaters. please. lets worry about harvard, scsu, mich st and maybe mich over the holidays then bsu before the umtc series :glare: this team will be fun to watch and see what happens. hak will show a lot this year either way with this team. long live fighting sioux hockey. go sioux, beat the smaat kids up and down the ice!!

and yes you are right, the goalie isnt a problem at all. its scoring goals as a whole and finishing when having great opportunities

like the gophers are world beaters. please. lets worry about harvard, scsu, mich st and maybe mich over the holidays then bsu before the umtc series :glare:

I agree I watched Michigan dismantle the Gophers and Kangas is not very good right now. Brad is playing better than him at this period in time.

I wish the Sioux played them next weekend.

I agree I watched Michigan dismantle the Gophers and Kangas is not very good right now. Brad is playing better than him at this period in time.

lets not start comparing eidsness to kangas at all but i did see you expressed "right now", kangas has shown so far hes the real deal with a couple hic ups and im sure the umTC fans will chime in and make their own points as well on it. but...as of now he has a record like kangas's last year but may end up playing more games than AK did last season. similar type of team he has last season as well struggling to score as of now. lets hope that changes this weekend!

ill take a trip to harvard to see if we can actually put 2 games together scoring goals first then in a month maybe we will be clicking :glare:

The Gophers certainly have their flaws. Their soft defensively and rely way too much on their top line. I'm glad the team is going through some adversity right now. Nothing good comes from cruising through the first half of the season. The gophers are good but not great, at least not yet.

The Gophers certainly have their flaws. Their soft defensively and rely way too much on their top line. I'm glad the team is going through some adversity right now. Nothing good comes from cruising through the first half of the season. The gophers are good but not great, at least not yet.

Sadly, the Sioux are not even good right now. Mediocre might be about right though.

i agree on this. hows ness looking? the games i saw on tv he is a very good skater and puck handler but lacks serious size and doesnt seem to be putting up the numbers you would think from a guy with that skill and hype. im sure kevin gorg already had a hobey highlight video made for him but probably will start working on schroeders instead :):glare: sorry, that guys not good at all for their broadcasts. too much of a fan like all of we are to do that job