SiouxSports.com Forum

Time for the Fire Hakstol thread

Goon

:D Redwing77 game me this idea. :whistling:

Actually I would like to fire a few players that failed to show up for this game. At the end of the game it showed Haksol and it looked like he was less than pleased with the effort tonight. Almost like he has a bad case of gas or indigestion. It would have been interesting to hear what he had to say after the game.

I see a bag em (leave the pucks in the bag practice coming soon)... These guys need a wake up call, they close to breaking out but they are not there yet.

Actually we can ruin this thread without ruling some of the other ones on this page.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I when Hakstol was hired we were told we wouldn't we able to tell the difference between his style and Blais's. Hakstol can coach in practice and he can sure recruit but he has never been able to fire up the troops,especially in big games(frozen four). His expression never changes if he is up by 10 or down by 10. Slow starts, great middles and very poor finishes, time for a change JMHO. I have been a season ticket holder for 24 years and will be for as long as I am here but people won't put up with this kind of performance for long. :whistling:

I when Hakstol was hired we were told we wouldn't we able to tell the difference between his style and Blais's. Hakstol can coach in practice and he can sure recruit but he has never been able to fire up the troops,especially in big games(frozen four). His expression never changes if he is up by 10 or down by 10. Slow starts, great middles and very poor finishes, time for a change JMHO. I have been a season ticket holder for 24 years and will be for as long as I am here but people won't put up with this kind of performance for long. :sad:

Some one once told me that Hak had it made up on till now because those teams where Blais's recruits and now these recruits are Haks. They are all good recruits so not sure what that really means. They totally need to get it rolling. End Hak to the Force and bring Blais bad...lol

:) Redwing77 game me this idea. :sad:

Actually I would like to fire a few players that failed to show up for this game. At the end of the game it showed Haksol and it looked like he was less than pleased with the effort tonight. Almost like he has a bad case of gas or indigestion. It would have been interesting to hear what he had to say after the game.

I see a bag em (leave the pucks in the bag practice coming soon)... These guys need a wake up call, they close to breaking out but they are not there yet.

Actually we can ruin this thread without ruling some of the other ones on this page.

maybe last night after everyone left the building he ran a skates only practice, ala herb brooks.

What is the reason the Sioux have had so many games like this the past couple years? I'm not ready to pin it all on Hakstol, but as season after season rolls by with the same results and different players, it's hard not to start looking at him more and more. Why can't we play in October, November, or December? We have a lot of turnover on our roster, but so do other top teams. Why can't the Sioux beat inferior teams at home? Why have the Sioux ran into so many "hot goaltenders" over the years?

For all these questions, one also has to ask how is the team able to turn it around and get to the Frozen Four year after year? I think that has a lot to do with Hakstol as well.

How many of you rubes have ever coached or even played college athletics? The coaching fraternity across the country has a lot of respect for Hakstol and the UND coaches. I would guess that is a better measure of how he has done and his abilities rather than those of us who don't strap on the skates or grab the clipboard and either play or coach. 2 six packs and season hockey tickets don't make us better judges than the college and professional coaches across the country.

Hakstol's players who have gone on to the the pros have also complimented the coaching they have had here. He has had the team in the Frozen Four for four years straight. He has done a good job of recruiting year in and year out. If you think he wasn't directly involved with recruiting when Blais was here, you don't know anything about college hockey nor UND hockey. Remember, Blais gave Hakstol his endorsement as his replacement. Blais was not going to let UND hockey down with a poor recommendation.

He has a very young team again this year. He has had nothing but success in his years as head coach. The kids are going to have to mature and put the puck in the net and get better as the year goes on. Recruits read these blogs and everytime we say stupid things about the program and the coaches, it is read and you folks do a lot more to hurt recruiting than anything the coaches do.

If UND's program was sinking or not successful then that is different. Most of these comments would be of the type I would expect from the foul mouthed fans who swear at the 70 yr old fans sitting behind them who ask them to sit down so they can see the game.

The coaches job is to put the kids in a position to have success. It is the players job to take it from there. Hakstol has done a great job for four years. He should at least be given the chance to fail before you call for his head.

What concerns me:

1. Decisions. The team needs a win and he starts the career backup goalie.

2. Intensity. His teams don't show up until it is past critical and gone to desperation, and that means either game or season.

3. Maturity. When the intensity shows up it is a finger, or a stupid boarding call late in a game. Yes, they are related and would not have happened under the past regime.

The goodwill is gone when the team has 6 losses before Thanksgiving. Sorry, but it is.

How many of you rubes have ever coached or even played college athletics? The coaching fraternity across the country has a lot of respect for Hakstol and the UND coaches. I would guess that is a better measure of how he has done and his abilities rather than those of us who don't strap on the skates or grab the clipboard and either play or coach. 2 six packs and season hockey tickets don't make us better judges than the college and professional coaches across the country.

Hakstol's players who have gone on to the the pros have also complimented the coaching they have had here. He has had the team in the Frozen Four for four years straight. He has done a good job of recruiting year in and year out. If you think he wasn't directly involved with recruiting when Blais was here, you don't know anything about college hockey nor UND hockey. Remember, Blais gave Hakstol his endorsement as his replacement. Blais was not going to let UND hockey down with a poor recommendation.

He has a very young team again this year. He has had nothing but success in his years as head coach. The kids are going to have to mature and put the puck in the net and get better as the year goes on. Recruits read these blogs and everytime we say stupid things about the program and the coaches, it is read and you folks do a lot more to hurt recruiting than anything the coaches do.

If UND's program was sinking or not successful then that is different. Most of these comments would be of the type I would expect from the foul mouthed fans who swear at the 70 yr old fans sitting behind them who ask them to sit down so they can see the game.

The coaches job is to put the kids in a position to have success. It is the players job to take it from there. Hakstol has done a great job for four years. He should at least be given the chance to fail before you call for his head.

I know one person that wouldn't want to see Hak leave....Jerry York. Second point, UND is not that young this year. Third point, yes the Sioux "young" players will improve as the year goes along, but so will the opposition team players too.

This is big time DI hockey not park board, if a current player or potential recruit can't take a few posts from a message board, then they shouldn't be on the team. Maybe they should be more worried about the product they are putting on the ice rather than what a few rubes are posting on siouxsports.com

Recruits read these blogs and everytime we say stupid things about the program and the coaches, it is read and you folks do a lot more to hurt recruiting than anything the coaches do.

I really don't think that recruits are going to make a decision based on what someone post on a blog or a message board about the team.

If I am top pick or recruit I am not going to care if a some jerk from North Dakota said about him. Also, I haven't read anything bad on the Sioux blogs except in the comments from ANON writers on Brad's blog. I am sure not all of them are Sioux fans.

I know one person that wouldn't want to see Hak leave....Jerry York. Second point, UND is not that young this year. Third point, yes the Sioux "young" players will improve as the year goes along, but so will the opposition team players too.

This is big time DI hockey not park board, if a current player or potential recruit can't take a few posts from a message board, then they shouldn't be on the team. Maybe they should be more worried about the product they are putting on the ice rather than what a few rubes are posting on siouxsports.com

'

Jerry York has a lot of respect for Hakstol. So does Dean Blais. Those who have played Pee Wee hockey or video hockey don't have the same credibility in my mind.

I didn't refer to current players. They are the ones who need to step up. If you don't think recruits reading posts are influenced by what they read, you have never recruited a kid to play college sports. I think you are mistaken.

Every year people are critical of the coaching until the kids start playing better. I can read a roster. We have a lot of young kids playing. Those kids tend to make bigger steps from start to finish than older kids. This team will take time to develop and I am not sure we have the experience in the nets to win some of those games when we aren't scoring. I have been impressed with how hard the kids have worked to dig pucks out of the corners and to cycle the puck but we are losing, so most people are disappointed. We are also missing some key blue liners. I know we live in a socieity where we want what we want and want it now, but UND hockey's struggles thus far this year do not require a coaching change or even a discussion of one.

If year after year the team doesn't get the job done, then you get a new coach. That isn't the case here.

Older players? We have any? Seriously?

The only guys I see showing up night after night so far are freshmen: Gregoire and Hextall. I haven't seen much of the older guys.

Maybe they (Gregoire, Hextall) haven't bought into this "turn it on at the end" nonsense because they haven't been here the last four years. This turn it on at the end (game, season) got them beat by UAA last night.

Hak preaches a never too high, never too low approach; he preaches consistency. Fine. Dandy. How about consistency in game to game performance: To run with CC one weekend then get used by UAA the next (at home no less) is just plain immature, and totally unacceptable.

Dear Dave:

Stop being their buddy, their older brother, their protector, and their excuse maker.

Start being their coach, their task master, and sometimes, yes, their hash and unrelenting disciplinarian.

Set the standard very high and guess what: You and these guys will achieve it.

Maybe they (Gregoire, Hextall) haven't bought into this "turn it on at the end" nonsense because they haven't been here the last four years. This turn it on at the end (game, season) got them beat by UAA last night.

I like those kid's play and I think Toews is going to start putting up the points as well.

just as a reference point don't the gophers have a younger roster than us and they don't seem to be struggling out of the gate this year.

they do have a younger team than us, and they are skating like they've played together for years. i was watching the afternoon game today on fsn, and that is one well oiled machine, we better be a better team when we play them, that is all i know. this "young team" thing is a pi$$ poor excuse anyway, every team in college hockey has turnover every year. and besides that, we don't have a young team. a junior and senior on the top line, two seniors and a junior on the second line, plus four upperclassmen dmen (if you include miller). now they have kangas, who is a HUGE difference maker, but goalies aside, they whip us top to bottom right now. i like hak as a coach, but if his teams have lacked anything, it is intensity. it has let us down in the frozen fours, and in games like last night, which the sioux should just never lose. it is early, and there is time to right the ship, but it is a frustrating start for us fans none the less. i hope we see davidson and mario tonight, i think they can both bring some intensity to the ice, which we desparately need. i also agree with the previous posters, hextall and gregoire are two of our best players, i love those two. lets get the much needed win tonight, and start a LONG undefeated streak in the first half of the season for a change. GO SIOUX!!!

who was it last year that made us look really Bad (Wisco ???) & then we woke up

Hak is Safe unless he has a Bad second half :sad:

& to give anchorage some credit they played well-they are noticeably bigger than us

I know everyone likes the speed game but lets learn to play as a team & then up the speed :)

who was it last year that made us look really Bad (Wisco ???) & then we woke up

Hak is Safe unless he has a Bad second half :sad:

& to give anchorage some credit they played well-they are noticeably bigger than us

I know everyone likes the speed game but lets learn to play as a team & then up the speed :)

Four Frozen Fours in a row and he's going to get canned if he misses one?

What concerns me:

1. Decisions. The team needs a win and he starts the career backup goalie.

2. Intensity. His teams don't show up until it is past critical and gone to desperation, and that means either game or season.

3. Maturity. When the intensity shows up it is a finger, or a stupid boarding call late in a game. Yes, they are related and would not have happened under the past regime.

The goodwill is gone when the team has 6 losses before Thanksgiving. Sorry, but it is.

I have to disagree.

1. The team is 3-4 in WCHA play. They do not NEED a win. A win would be great, but they certainly do not NEED a win. There are a lot of games left to be played.

2. Again, it's so early in the season. I'd be concerned about the intensity level if it was the middle of January, but we're still in the 2nd weekend of November. I think last nights game will be a huge learning experience. Wasn't it when Denver (not sure about the opponent) was at the Ralph least year, and the team had to come from behind to pull out a win? Then they took that experience to Wisconsin and came back to win the Midwest Regional.

3. Give Hak a break on the finger. If you I bottled all of my emotions up for all 60 minutes of every game, and finally exploded, and the finger was the result, bfd. Don't forget about the dip**** refs that he has to put up with almost every weekend. No excuse for flipping the finger, but let's get over it.

Six losses before Thanksgiving... The team could lose EVERY game before the 1st round of the WCHAs and still win a national championship.

Let's not get our panties in a bunch (not necessarily talking to tSikota-but everyone that is whining like little girls). It's still early in the season. I'm sure that Hak will have his team in prime form long before March rolls around.

One last thing...For all of the Finley haters- How do you like him now? Getting tired of seeing Genoway giving up the pass on Defense on those two on ones. Lucky he didn't cost the team another goal late in the 2nd Friday night. Also tired of opponents camping out in front of the net waiting for rebounds, deflections, or just sitting there screening the goal.

I think we'll see a different team out on the ice tonight.

well he benched Kozek and Trupp tonite.... Id say trupp is on the best players this year so far and Kozek is always a scoring threat.... bad move on hak's part i believe....

Not if it works.

In any case, I wonder about Hextall. Coming into this year, I thought he'd be a Kaip or Prpich type player. He's played well offensively, but he doesn't play as gritty as I thought he would.

Who is going to be the instigator on the team? I don't see a Kaip in next year's recruits either.... maybe McWilliam

Not if it works.

In any case, I wonder about Hextall. Coming into this year, I thought he'd be a Kaip or Prpich type player. He's played well offensively, but he doesn't play as gritty as I thought he would.

Who is going to be the instigator on the team? I don't see a Kaip in next year's recruits either.... maybe McWilliam

I thought Hextall played with a bit of an edge tonite.Malone was putting guys on their respective asses also.