SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Badgers

Joewee

That was the funny thing, I went down got a beer between periods went to say hi to a buddy, on the way back to my seat I stopped to talk to another buddy, then I realized my beer that I just got evaporated so I had to go buy another beer. By that time I got back to my seat the game was getting ugly.

How in the world is the team supposed to perform if you're not there to do YOUR part?

Now we know who the problem is!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we both assume that we could use a guy that 'just gets goals' on the power play? For heaven sakes, we have guys on the power play that don't get goals or assists and the last time I checked we keep score by goals.

That reminds me of what Buddy Ryan said about Cris Carter....

I think if we take a step back and look at the big picture, things aren't all that bad. What else should we be expecting this early in the year while players find their roles?

Is it possible that we could expect to be at the top of the league with CC and Minnesota? Is is possible to expect we could keep pace with Minnesota, a 7th place team last year? They have had no trouble finding their roles with a much less experienced team then ours! Wow, we are really lowering our standards here at UND lately. The football team loses by 20 and we are 'happy' with the performance. The hockey team starts out 2-4 and things aren't that bad, players are finding their roles. Count me as one of the few that isn't ready to embrace mediocrity!

I'm a bit concerned with BE's play. I thought he played small, and took many bad angles. I was also disappointed in the D-man's effort on the 2-1's. He didn't take away the pass or cut off the angle. They might as well have been 2-0's.

Nonwithstanding the BC game, Genoway needs Finley out there. I competely agree that Finley logging 25-30 minutes is of extreme importance to this team. I also agree with the Wisconsin opinion that our D is way to soft. Finley and Jones are the only ones that go into a corner with any steam. I have hope that Blood and Fienhage will get there as well, but Marto and Lapoint have no interest in taking a hit, and Genoway has a tendancy to get too aggressive offensively.

I can see alot of goals in our net this year unless things change in a hurry.

I think if we take a step back and look at the big picture, things aren't all that bad. I thought 5 on 5 the team was solid, so when the special teams play comes around and they can get Finley back anchoring the blue line this will be a pretty solid team. What else should we be expecting this early in the year while players find their roles?

Gotta agree, if the Sioux didn't have that 2-3 minute stretch in the third period the fans would be feeling pretty good right now. That said, they definitely need some results from this weekend.

Gotta agree, if the Sioux didn't have that 2-3 minute stretch in the third period the fans would be feeling pretty good right now.

Using that same logic, if the Sioux didn't have that short stretch in the third period against Mankato last Saturday and Wisconsin on Friday how would we be feeling right now at 0-6? You can't have it both ways. It is what it is.

Using that same logic, if the Sioux didn't have that short stretch in the third period against Mankato last Saturday and Wisconsin on Friday how would we be feeling right now at 0-6? You can't have it both ways. It is what it is.

Exactly. Less than average goaltending, overall poor defense and the inability to finish scoring chances so far is why this team is 2-4. It's not a fluke. Right now they aren't very good.

Friday was hands down their best game of the year so far and they still needed a 2 goal rally in the 3rd to pull that out.

Looking at their schedule though, I still think they have a shot to get to or above .500 by the Christams break.

I'm a bit concerned with BE's play. I thought he played small, and took many bad angles. I was also disappointed in the D-man's effort on the 2-1's. He didn't take away the pass or cut off the angle. They might as well have been 2-0's.

Nonwithstanding the BC game, Genoway needs Finley out there. I competely agree that Finley logging 25-30 minutes is of extreme importance to this team. I also agree with the Wisconsin opinion that our D is way to soft. Finley and Jones are the only ones that go into a corner with any steam. I have hope that Blood and Fienhage will get there as well, but Marto and Lapoint have no interest in taking a hit, and Genoway has a tendancy to get too aggressive offensively.

I can see alot of goals in our net this year unless things change in a hurry.

I don't see Marto playing the tough guy but that's ok, you need a a couple (Genoway) real athletic guys out there making plays. I really don't have doubts about Blood being a great one and Fienhage will probably be fine as well. LaPoint....Is he going to be a skill guy or mix in some hitting?

As it's been said, stiffen up the defense with Finley and we'll be a lot better off.

A few more things I noticed this weekend:

-Zach Jones is a beast. Fast to the puck, physical, gets the job done defensively. Offense is a different story, but he's what we need on defense right now. It's hard to believe he's a -1 right now.

-Chay Genoway, although great with the puck, shoots WAY too much from the point. I like the fact he wants to get the puck on net for our forwards to hopefully bang one home, but he forces too many and most don't even get to the net, resulting in a quick transition for the opposing team. He got burned a couple times in the Frozen Four because of this, leaving Big Joe hanging.

-Finehage needs to work on footwork, but I think has great defensive potential.

-Where were Martens and Lamoureux Saturday? I know everyone can't play, but Martens has been great this year so far, in my opinion, and Lamoureux has been one of our better freshmen (surprisingly to be honest). Mario is strong and works hard. Martens has created some great plays.

-Frattin hasn't developed as well as I had hoped up to this point. I thought by now he'd be more of a scoring threat than he is.

-We looked very balanced on offense, but don't have a "go to" line yet.

-Plenty of shots again this weekend, and a lot better scoring oppurtunities than what it sounded like we had in Mankato. If we can keep this up, some of these pucks will start going in.

Gotta agree, if the Sioux didn't have that 2-3 minute stretch in the third period the fans would be feeling pretty good right now. That said, they definitely need some results from this weekend.

I don't have a good feeling about this weekend. CC is the No. 1 team in the country for good reason and some of our early struggles wil play into their hands. we'll need to score at least 3 goals to beat them and bachman isn't giving up 3 goals in a weekend. if DU struggled to score against them I can only imagine our problems. our pp woes could very well continue as cc has killed off something like 64 of 66 penalties so far. we will be lucky to get a point this weekend as you add our offensive woes and the fact we traditionally don't play well out there and this could be a very ugly weekend.

I don't have a good feeling about this weekend. CC is the No. 1 team in the country for good reason and some of our early struggles wil play into their hands. we'll need to score at least 3 goals to beat them and bachman isn't giving up 3 goals in a weekend. if DU struggled to score against them I can only imagine our problems. our pp woes could very well continue as cc has killed off something like 64 of 66 penalties so far. we will be lucky to get a point this weekend as you add our offensive woes and the fact we traditionally don't play well out there and this could be a very ugly weekend.

I'll be happy if we can get out of there with 3 points. :lol:

According to Hakstol they are pleased with the performance for the mostpart in all the games except Boston University. I'm sure they would like better results, but I'm sure Wisconsin would as well. Would you rather be the other extreme where you win the first half of the season all the time and then can't seem to find a win the second half. If Minnesota and Colorado both keep up this pace the whole year, then you have to give them props, but Colorado dipped late last year and Minnesota the year before, so you can't go through the whole year in the WCHA without a slump. The Sioux continually build under Hakstol, so I will cut them some slack. Again, I think they definitely need one this weekend to keep in touch with the upper teams, but I was happy with the way they played last weekend, just not as happy with the results.

According to Hakstol they are pleased with the performance for the mostpart in all the games except Boston University. I'm sure they would like better results, but I'm sure Wisconsin would as well. Would you rather be the other extreme where you win the first half of the season all the time and then can't seem to find a win the second half. If Minnesota and Colorado both keep up this pace the whole year, then you have to give them props, but Colorado dipped late last year and Minnesota the year before, so you can't go through the whole year in the WCHA without a slump. The Sioux continually build under Hakstol, so I will cut them some slack. Again, I think they definitely need one this weekend to keep in touch with the upper teams, but I was happy with the way they played last weekend, just not as happy with the results.

Hak was pleased with probably the effort to date, but performance? Really? :lol: Again this team has been bad defensively and they can't score/finish. And I'll agree wtih a previous post about Martens--where was he this past Sat.? I can think of two guys that Trupp rolls with that have done pretty much nothing so far!

According to Hakstol they are pleased with the performance for the mostpart in all the games except Boston University.

That might be part of the problem right there. The Sioux gutted out a good win on Friday, and then forgot to show up when it mattered on Saturday. If he's "pleased" with that, he really needs to reconsider his line of work. :lol:

Is it possible that we could expect to be at the top of the league with CC and Minnesota? Is is possible to expect we could keep pace with Minnesota, a 7th place team last year? They have had no trouble finding their roles with a much less experienced team then ours! Wow, we are really lowering our standards here at UND lately. The football team loses by 20 and we are 'happy' with the performance. The hockey team starts out 2-4 and things aren't that bad, players are finding their roles. Count me as one of the few that isn't ready to embrace mediocrity!

I agree 100%. This is Sioux Hockey, not some nickel - dime program that is happy "doing our best". A 2-4 record at this point is not what we expect. We are sub-par in all aspcets of the game - offense, defense, goaltending, and special teams. This is the 5th year in a row we've gotten a slow start. This many years in a row can't be coincidence. Other teams have the exact same amount of time to get ready for the season, find new combinations, and work in new players. We need to be careful that we don't lower our expectations and accept the mediocre. Some of this needs to be on the coaching staff. The most frustrating part of this for me is our lack of focus at times. We need to come to play this weekend or we are going to get our butts handed to us.

Since I didn't see a lot of it, (see prior post earlier :lol: ) I think UND played ok for the most part this past weekend and so did the goalie.

I'll be happy with a split. But having said that, the goal is always to win! Go Sioux!

I might be happy with a 2 points this weekend. :lol: I think UND can do it.

The defense has to cover the defensive zone goalies need to step up and the Sioux will be fine.

QUOTE (WiSioux @ Nov 3 2008, 06:33 PM)

Miller, Jones, Marto, and Genoway were playing the points on the power play

Wow, I wonder why your power play is sitting at 10% when you have a guy who scored 18 goals last season and another player who had 34 points on the power play in 1 USHL season sitting on your bench.

Chuck, the question was regarding who was playing the points. If you're referring to Gregoire in your USHL comment he IS on the second PP unit with Trupp and Frattin. That unit had the game-winner Friday night or did you erase that from your memory bank already? I think the first unit up front has been Vandy, Dunc and Martens. Not sure why Kozek hasn't been included but I trust that Hak knows what he's doing.

QUOTE (WiSioux @ Nov 3 2008, 06:33 PM)

Miller, Jones, Marto, and Genoway were playing the points on the power play

Chuck, the question was regarding who was playing the points. If you're referring to Gregoire in your USHL comment he IS on the second PP unit with Trupp and Frattin. That unit had the game-winner Friday night or did you erase that from your memory bank already? I think the first unit up front has been Vandy, Dunc and Martens. Not sure why Kozek hasn't been included but I trust that Hak knows what he's doing.

My bet is that he is talking about LaPoint.

My bet is that he is talking about LaPoint.

it is lapoint as hes a wisconsin guy

all d men have to step their game up. jones is the only player that can hold his own one on one and he is damn good at it. would be nice to see lapoint and marto get some points on the board with genoway as well but the whole team is struggling to score, not just d men i guess

they all break out in the springs :lol: