SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA, College Hockey is underway

AZSIOUX

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought since the article talks about the WCHA, here it is. What's funny about this article is that if you read all the comments at the end, it's Sioux fans and Gophers fans going at it. The Star Trib published this today, so many of the SS.com members I'm sure have read it. In case you didn't....here it is. Also, check out all the comments....you would think we're playing the Gophers this weekend, not Bucky!!! GO SIOUX!!! :silly:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/...KUnciaec8O7EyUr

What's hillarious is how little they know about our team and our "French Canadians"

If I had an account I could disprove that theory since we don't have any French Canadians or 24 year old Canadians or whatever.

I'm laughing hysterically right now.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's hillarious is how little they know about our team and our "French Canadians"

If I had an account I could disprove that theory since we don't have any French Canadians or 24 year old Canadians or whatever.

I'm laughing hysterically right now.

The typical Gopher fan is ignorant of the players on the current Sioux roster (much like the typical Sioux fan doesn't know the Gopher roster). When their radio media still talks about all the overage Canadians on the Sioux roster, that just goes further to embed that into their thinking.

Old-time Gopher fans probably still think that the Gophers recruit 17-18 yr old players just out of HS and the Sioux recruit 24 yr old Canadians with 6 years of juniors experience. When in reality, the average ages of both teams are very close to each other.

gophers are tissue soft and have been for 3 years now

i have many many good friends that are gopher fans and a few very cool ones that post here for sure , every team has dbag fans that spout off on stuff they have no clue about so oh well

The typical Gopher fan is ignorant of the players on the current Sioux roster (much like the typical Sioux fan doesn't know the Gopher roster). When their radio media still talks about all the overage Canadians on the Sioux roster, that just goes further to embed that into their thinking.

Old-time Gopher fans probably still think that the Gophers recruit 17-18 yr old players just out of HS and the Sioux recruit 24 yr old Canadians with 6 years of juniors experience. When in reality, the average ages of both teams are very close to each other.

That is because their media wonks like Sid Hartman are ignorant. The man is a drooling bumbling idiot and he still spouts that crap. Of course everyone laughs at him and encourages him to say more. I ussually listen to him each year as I return home from the Final Five and his statements are predictable. I remember one year Scott Hennen called into his show. It was classic.

That is because their media wonks like Sid Hartman are ignorant. The man is a drooling bumbling idiot and he still spouts that crap. Of course everyone laughs at him and encourages him to say more. I ussually listen to him each year as I return home from the Final Five and his statements are predictable. I remember one year Scott Hennen called into his show. It was classic.

Tell me more I need a good laugh.

cool cool, ill browse online for the hat i want. dont worry i will keep it reasonable :silly: pm me your email then i can email you my address and link to the hat i pick out and you can just buy it online to be easier. yes lets do it next year for sure!

Alright, that'll work just fine for me. I PM'ed you my UMN email just to make you have to email a Gopher :D

It will definitely be easy to do it online, and next year is a for sure. We'll have to meet up next year at the Ralph or Mariucci (if you're going?)

Tell me more I need a good laugh.

I don't remember exactly what year it was but it was after UND had won a Broadmoor Trophy In 2000

and Sid Hartman was on WCCO and spewing the ussual crap about how UND was a professional team and Scott Hennen called

into the show and ate his lunch. It was funnier than hell. So every year when I am crawling home from the Final Five I listen to the old clown to hear what he has to say.

Yes. Zero confidence.

How many times has Kevin Gorg and a few others on the broadcast, and gopher players and coaches used the term "The gophers need to Draw a line in the sand"?

I am not sure where the beach is that they are doing all this line drawing, but it's gotta look like a legal pad by now. :D

How many times has Kevin Gorg and a few others on the broadcast, and gopher players and coaches used the term "The gophers need to Draw a line in the sand"?

I am not sure where the beach is that they are doing all this line drawing, but it's gotta look like a legal pad by now. :D

Or, that darn tide keeps washing the line away!

AZ, well I clearly did not make up any ground :sad:

Let's still continue and pick the rest of the games for the rest of the season, but I concede :sad:

Let's pick it game by game, but here are my preliminary thoughts on the series for this weekend:

#1 UND vs. #10 Michigan Tech - UND wins in 2

-Combine UND being on a tear with Michigan Tech being the worst team in college hockey and you have a sure sweep. Being at home won't hurt them either. I can see Tech MAYBE stealing a game by getting a early lead on some fluke goals and then just being super defensive the rest of the game, but I don't see that outcome as very likely. I don't think much of an explanation is really needed here, MTU is just flat-out outmatched.

#2 Denver vs. #9 AA - DU wins in 3

-I really see this as being a close series. Sweeping UMD gives AA some big time momentum going into this series, and DU is coming off a hard fought game with CC. Although I think DU is more talented, AA will ride that momentum and steal at least one win I think. I could actually see them pulling off a miracle and winning this series.

#3 BADgers vs. #8 Mankato - Wisconsin wins in 2

-However much I hate thinking that the BADgers might sweep Mankato, I see it happening. Connelley played great last night from what I saw, and Wisco's D looked very solid. Mankato is a very streaky team and Zacharias might steal one for them, but I'm not feelin it. Badgers sweep.

#4 CC vs. #7 UMD - UMD wins in 3

-Count me as someone who is thoroughly unimpressed with CC. Bachman has been a roller coaster, and I think Stalock is the better goalie this year. Duluth will be focused on shutting down that killer top line of CC, and if they can do that, I think Stalock can handle the rest. I see a low scoring series here, with all the games being decided by a goal or two. That being said, UMD might be down and out after AA and they could come out and get crushed both games. This is the hardest one for me to pick.

#5 GOPHERS vs. #6 St. Clown - GOPHERS win in 2

-Although it was only MTU, Kangas getting a shut out and the D playing like they did early in the season should give both Kangas and the team some much needed confidence. Being 4-0 against SCSU this year doesn't hurt either, and the Gophers will be HUNGRY to win these games. If this was in St. Cloud, I could see a 3 game series and the winner being either team, but Mariucci will be rocking and the Gophers are so much better at home than they are on the road. Friday: 5-4 Gophers, Saturday: 3-0 Gophers.

That would mean the play in game is:

#5 GOPHERS vs. #7 UMD

-I think the Gophers have UMD's number this year, and match up great with them. I was actually hoping we would play them instead of the Huskies, but I think UMD will be beat up after a tough series with CC.

And then there was 4...

#5 GOPHERS vs. #1 NORTH DAKOTA

-The homer in me really wants to pick the Gophers, but I just can't do it so I'm going to make an argument for both teams...

Minnesota: Obviously revenge is going to be a huge factor here. We got stomped in every way possible in the 2 games up in Grand Forks, and that was when Kangas went into his infamous 2nd half sophomore slump. I could see him standing on his head and the Gophers top line taking over like I thought they would the first time around. The Gophers also are very very good at the X.

North Dakota: The #1 seed doesn't lie, and the Sioux are peaking at the right time, just like they usually do. They OWNED us the first time around, and for all I know that could happen again. The Sioux are much deeper than the Gophers, and that's going to cause a problem for us.

-Really, it's a rivalry game with so much on the line...if this happens, it can really go either way, records aside.

#3 BADgers vs. #2 DU

-I like the BADgers here. They have so much talent on D, and that talent will finally emerge on the big stage. I'm also not terribly impressed with DU, and I know I'll get ripped for saying that. I hate the BADgers, but something in my gut tells me they will get it done.

Then the Championship...

-If my scenario plays out, I see the winner of UND/Minnesota beating Wisconsin. UND is just plain better than them, and I thought Minnesota was the better team for the majority of the games where we got swept at Mariucci. That being said, Minnesota is probably in the tournament no matter what if they make it to the championship game, so I could see the Gophs coming out terribly flat.

Just my opinion obviously, and I know many of you will disagree. Take it for what it's worth (not much), but I'll take some constructive criticism or arguments if you have them.

I agree with all of your play in games EXCEPT the UMD CC series. In my opinion, there is no way in hell UMD goes to the World Arena and beats CC. With that being said, it would have MN taking on CC and I don't see them beating the Tigers. However, it IS in the X and the gophers will probably get 9 powerplays (like they did last night in a must win game) and somehow get the win.

Gopherz-

Hmmm...

I think UMD/CC will be the closest series.

I also think that no one sweeps at Mariucci. Both the Gophers and the Huskies have been playing awful hockey as of late.

Both rely a lot on very few (Lasch and Roe for SCSU, Stoa and Schroeder for UMN). Both goaltenders are playing well below their potential and both defenses had have a lot of trouble remembering that they are playing to win.

UMN will win in 3, but I wouldn't be surprised if SCSU pulled off the series either. It's really going to amount to which D and goaltender plays better than the other.

AZ, well I clearly did not make up any ground :sad:

Let's still continue and pick the rest of the games for the rest of the season, but I concede :sad:

Let's pick it game by game, but here are my preliminary thoughts on the series for this weekend:

#1 UND vs. #10 Michigan Tech - UND wins in 2

-Combine UND being on a tear with Michigan Tech being the worst team in college hockey and you have a sure sweep. Being at home won't hurt them either. I can see Tech MAYBE stealing a game by getting a early lead on some fluke goals and then just being super defensive the rest of the game, but I don't see that outcome as very likely. I don't think much of an explanation is really needed here, MTU is just flat-out outmatched.

#2 Denver vs. #9 AA - DU wins in 3

-I really see this as being a close series. Sweeping UMD gives AA some big time momentum going into this series, and DU is coming off a hard fought game with CC. Although I think DU is more talented, AA will ride that momentum and steal at least one win I think. I could actually see them pulling off a miracle and winning this series.

#3 BADgers vs. #8 Mankato - Wisconsin wins in 2

-However much I hate thinking that the BADgers might sweep Mankato, I see it happening. Connelley played great last night from what I saw, and Wisco's D looked very solid. Mankato is a very streaky team and Zacharias might steal one for them, but I'm not feelin it. Badgers sweep.

#4 CC vs. #7 UMD - UMD wins in 3

-Count me as someone who is thoroughly unimpressed with CC. Bachman has been a roller coaster, and I think Stalock is the better goalie this year. Duluth will be focused on shutting down that killer top line of CC, and if they can do that, I think Stalock can handle the rest. I see a low scoring series here, with all the games being decided by a goal or two. That being said, UMD might be down and out after AA and they could come out and get crushed both games. This is the hardest one for me to pick.

#5 GOPHERS vs. #6 St. Clown - GOPHERS win in 2

-Although it was only MTU, Kangas getting a shut out and the D playing like they did early in the season should give both Kangas and the team some much needed confidence. Being 4-0 against SCSU this year doesn't hurt either, and the Gophers will be HUNGRY to win these games. If this was in St. Cloud, I could see a 3 game series and the winner being either team, but Mariucci will be rocking and the Gophers are so much better at home than they are on the road. Friday: 5-4 Gophers, Saturday: 3-0 Gophers.

That would mean the play in game is:

#5 GOPHERS vs. #7 UMD

-I think the Gophers have UMD's number this year, and match up great with them. I was actually hoping we would play them instead of the Huskies, but I think UMD will be beat up after a tough series with CC.

And then there was 4...

#5 GOPHERS vs. #1 NORTH DAKOTA

-The homer in me really wants to pick the Gophers, but I just can't do it so I'm going to make an argument for both teams...

Minnesota: Obviously revenge is going to be a huge factor here. We got stomped in every way possible in the 2 games up in Grand Forks, and that was when Kangas went into his infamous 2nd half sophomore slump. I could see him standing on his head and the Gophers top line taking over like I thought they would the first time around. The Gophers also are very very good at the X.

North Dakota: The #1 seed doesn't lie, and the Sioux are peaking at the right time, just like they usually do. They OWNED us the first time around, and for all I know that could happen again. The Sioux are much deeper than the Gophers, and that's going to cause a problem for us.

-Really, it's a rivalry game with so much on the line...if this happens, it can really go either way, records aside.

#3 BADgers vs. #2 DU

-I like the BADgers here. They have so much talent on D, and that talent will finally emerge on the big stage. I'm also not terribly impressed with DU, and I know I'll get ripped for saying that. I hate the BADgers, but something in my gut tells me they will get it done.

Then the Championship...

-If my scenario plays out, I see the winner of UND/Minnesota beating Wisconsin. UND is just plain better than them, and I thought Minnesota was the better team for the majority of the games where we got swept at Mariucci. That being said, Minnesota is probably in the tournament no matter what if they make it to the championship game, so I could see the Gophs coming out terribly flat.

Just my opinion obviously, and I know many of you will disagree. Take it for what it's worth (not much), but I'll take some constructive criticism or arguments if you have them.

UND in two

DU in two

Wisc in three

CC in three

Minn in three

cc over minn

und over cc

du over wis

cc over wisc for third

und over du for 1st.

Eaves is at it again, going back on his word and taking scholarships away from players he promised them to. I hope karma comes back to bite his azz sometime. I don't like when teams do it and they SURELY don't like it when players leave early or pull a Clarke and go to the Canadian Junior ranks.

hmmmmmm

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/

Yeah that is weak for a coach/program to do that to a kid, i also hope he gets what he deserves after pulling this (numerous times apparently)

Eaves should learn from DU and coach Gwoz as he gave David Carle his hockey scolarship even though he cant play hockey ever again because of his medical condition. As much as i dislike the Dasher Dancer... he did the right thing by doing this, good for him.